Pools

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
elrohwen wrote:
I think any housing situation that allows them to get so messy probably isn't ideal. Getting hutches would be a great idea and allow them to keep themselves clean as they should.
Well they love to dig, and run and bounce, the run is cleaned alot, but the girls are just pigs.
4 of the 6 usually poop in one spot, where the other 2 go where they want. If I put a box out in their run, 4 of the 6 will use it until it's full (about 5x a day) then the other two dig in it and it gets everywhere.

Hence the working on hutches and such

I don't think giving the rabbits a bath every now and then is a bad thing (when they REALLY need it)....as long as the bun isn't stressed and can't slip and injure itself while being bathed, so extra caution needs to be used. I know Amanda takes good care of her bunnies and wouldn't do anything that is harmful to them.

People say that cats don't need baths because they bathe themselves....well, cats (even short haired) really benefit from a bath every few months - that being said...I don't wash my own cats because they are already adults and will never tolerate it and its not worth the stress, but if you get them used to it when they are young then they are fine with it - you should see the Persians we groom at the shop, they are better then most dogs and loved being bathed. I have a 6 month old kitty who is absolutely getting a bath soon (going into the shop with me...this should be fun) because his fur is greasy.

I bathed my buns once each, because they needed it. One laid in his pee, the other had poo stuck to her butt because she kept sitting in it. i used baby shampoo on them. They both survived.

I have one who I call my little piggy who usually ends up with a full bath once a month. I have 2 that need a partial bath atleast once amonth. I use just plain warm water.

Sometimes it is needed, some bunnies do like water. It is not always a death sentence. You need to take each bunny as an individual and understand that while one likes it another may hate it.

I have had friends that have bunnies who LOVE water. I know one bunny that used to jump into the kiddy pool my friend had for her kids. She finally gave up trying to stop him and just made sure she dried him off. I don't think it is a bad thing to get a bunny used to a bath because you just might have to give them one, maybe not a whole bath just a partial one. You never know what can happen.

Each rabbit has to be treated as an individual. Please everyone keep in mind that she has been doing this and her bunnies are just fine.

In the end I like the idea of a mister spray thingy over part of the cage. I would be nervous with the pool and attracting flys. Last thing you need is wet dirtybottoms attracting flys.

Thank You Amy, Daeny, and Ali

I don't put my animals in harms way, and yes you do need to treat each bun as an individual. Like you do with cats, and dogs, and rats and basically everything.

Buns do get nasty, and they don't all like to keep themselves primp and proper. Shoot with Belladonna and Gordy, you give those two a litter box and a soft cushy bed, or even multiple litter boxes, they will go to the bathroom in them, but still lay in the box, and then not want to bathe themselves. (can you imagine having to lick that stuff off you? I wouldn't do it if my life depended on it personally, of course then again I wouldn't get into that stuff but still).

Thank you all for your comments on the subject though.

Yeah I'm gonna put the misters over part of the run until I get their hutches and what not built, then that area will be inclosed and they'll have an AC to keep them cool. (yes I know not to have the air blowing on one individual cage, it'll be above the cages, so that the air can also circulate.

Rabbits usually live under the soil, where it is somewhat cooler. My rabbits in India have a burrow and they never ever want to come out unless they feel hungry :p . So, i think digging a hole an appropiate size for you rabbit is a good idea. If it is inside the run, all the better so they can go in and out as they please. Giving them a bath is not a good idea at best. A friend's friends cousin's daughter had one and she gave it a bath of cold water and then put it ouside in the scorching heat.

Latest posts

Back