pictures of my flemish giants first litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djluster

Reaction score
Here is the pictures of Bella's kit, she had 3 so a small litter but they all look heathy so that is good. they were born some time between 10-1 in the afternoon. born on April 20th

P4210202.jpg

P4210203.jpg

One in my hand

P4210204.jpg

all the hair pulled

P4210205.jpg

I will try to post new pictures once a week

Awe!! They do look great and looks like Bella is feeding them very well.

I think the daddy is not a Flemish since there are no broken or harlequins in Flemish. They sure are nicely marked though. Can't wait to see what they look like when their fur comes in.

Keep us posted!

amdfarm wrote:
Awe!! They do look great and looks like Bella is feeding them very well.

I think the daddy is not a Flemish since there are no broken or harlequins in Flemish. They sure are nicely marked though. Can't wait to see what they look like when their fur comes in.

Keep us posted!
I've seen a harlequin flemish and a "tri" flemish here in Texas (it was years ago).

I've also seen broken flemish as someone is trying to pull a COD to get them passed.

I think its safe to say that "officially" there are no flemish like that....and they are not recognized by the club...but yes - they are out there.

I think there was one up for adoption for a while too at Midwest Rabbit Rescue - a harlequin flemish if I remember right.

Very true, Peg. But fawn and sandy are a bit different than the broken Flemish I've seen. I know someone that breeds them. Not recognized, of course.

I guess I look at Flemish and Flemish mixes a bit differently.

Wanting to inform the OP on what may have been told to them by the original owner.

The fur also pulled by Bella looks Harlequin (tri color) to me anyway.

Do you have a pic of Bella you can post, djluster?

ok here All I know. here is some pictures of bella I guess even moms color now that I look at it in the picture isnt a true sandy either

photo.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

here is the pitures I have of what I was told was the dad the dad at the when she got pregnant was 9 months old

4-HandBrocksparty013.jpg

Hopper2.jpg

Hopper4.jpg

hope this helps depending on how these babies look when they get older I dont think I will use mom or babbies to breed

amdfarm wrote:
Very true, Peg. But fawn and sandy are a bit different than the broken Flemish I've seen. I know someone that breeds them. Not recognized, of course.

I guess I look at Flemish and Flemish mixes a bit differently.

Wanting to inform the OP on what may have been told to them by the original owner.

The fur also pulled by Bella looks Harlequin (tri color) to me anyway.

Do you have a pic of Bella you can post, djluster?
The two harlequin flemish that I've seen (one was in pictures) were pretty huge and appeared to be full flemish. I don't have the picture anymore of the girl at Midwest Rabbit Rescue...but I want to say she was over 15 pounds.

The one I saw when I went to get Tiny was about 17 pounds and the broken flemish (its offspring) was closer to 20 pounds.

They were bred by flemish breeders here in Texas (the guy is no longer doing flemish and I can't find the photos I took of them all those years ago).

In the case of the brokens I saw - if I remember right - they were three generations in...meaning - the next generation would be considered "purebred". The ones I saw were by the guy who is trying to pull the COD. I have the pictures somewhere on my computer...they were very interesting and to be honest - I'm fascinated by them.

I just wanted to add that I remember from when I bred lionheads that chestnut (I think that is the sandy in flemish) can hide harlequin. I bred a chestnut doe to a blue buck to try and get opal. One of the offspring was harlequin...wow!

Okay, I did remember right, she was the broken eared girl. Sorry my memory stinks, but I actually remembered that doe. :)

You are correct, her color is off. Almost a super dirty sandy. The buck is definitely a fawn. His ears look a little short for a Flemish. They should be six inches or longer to meet standards. My 6 wk old Flemish kits already have 5" ears.

Sorry to hear her temperment hasn't improved either. :(

Peg... I love the broken Flemish, too. The guy I know that breeds them is over in Virginia. I have pics! They are so cute. Broken blacks even, my favorite! Second favorite is broken blue! :)

P.S. When I see chestnut in other breeds, I think agouti and tort. That's what Bella looks more like to me than sandy. Agree?

Now that you say that his ears do seem a little short. So I think I may sell bella along with the babies and start with a nice buck that I can breed when lilly is old enough she just turned 6 months so I have some time but about the time they are weened and ready to sell lilly will be old enough, atlease this first litter will give me good learning practice for the future. what ever color they end up being I am glad they all seem heathy so far

plus I hope to show lilly atleast once before I breed her to see if she has any faults.

It's a constant learning experience and Flemish aren't easy to breed either. I, too, am always learning... not a bad thing.

What color is your Lilly? (My Lilly is an Elop! lol) Sounds like you've got a good plan then.

Agreed, a healthy litter is always great to have. It seems like Bella is being a very good mother and taking excellent care of them. Good brood does aren't always easy to find either.

Something else on that buck I noticed, his head is small and pretty feminine for a buck. Bucks generally have bigger blockier heads. That's a pretty easy way to tell bucks from does, that and the bucks don't have dewlaps and if they do, they're a lot smaller than does.

Good luck!

amdfarm wrote:
Peg... I love the broken Flemish, too. The guy I know that breeds them is over in Virginia. I have pics! They are so cute. Broken blacks even, my favorite! Second favorite is broken blue! :)

P.S. When I see chestnut in other breeds, I think agouti and tort. That's what Bella looks more like to me than sandy. Agree?
I promise I won't hijack the thread more than to share these...

I'll even use clickable thumbnails so I don't take up too much space..

They are so cute!!! Thanks for sharing Peg. Sorry djluster for hijacking for broken flemish cuteness. You can tell an English spot was used to get the broken pattern. At least that's why my friend/breeder in VA's were created from and he didn't breed them orginally. He just bought the parents and continued the mission. :)

dont be sorry because mine look like they are brocken and may look like these ones.
also here are some pictures of lilly. she is a Sandy color as well but she that is one of the reasons I got bella to start with I was hoping to get a nice looking buck out of bella to breed with lilly but that will not happen. The only thing I dont know is the little bit of fawn color behind her head allowed or not.also looking closer she has some heavy shading in areas.She is the sweetest bunny just turned 6 months old yesterday same days the babies where born. I wieghed her today and she was at 10b she might be a little on the light side

Bunny146.jpg

150.jpg

photo7-1.jpg

Bunny148.jpg

Bunny147.jpg

photo6.jpg

I don't have my SOP book in front of me. Color wise, she looks okay to me, better than Bella. Sandy is a pretty odd color and it can vary. The color behind the base of their ears is always different than their coat color. It's also a lot softer and smoother. For example, Hope is a light gray, but where her ears lay down behind her head, it's white. So I wouldn't worry about that, it's normal.

She's a little light in the weight department, but hopefully she'll get more mass and gain before she reaches senior age. I think she's okay where she's at for intermediate (6/8 class.) Hope was 13 lbs at 6mos and she's currently around 16 lbs and while nursing kits. She's 10 1/2mos now.

She's got nice width to her ears and nice base, but how long are they? Minimum is 6", as I said before.

And you're positive she's a doe? Her head looks fairly massive for a young doe. Look at the pic of the fawn buck's more feminine (narrow) head and look at the pic of hers. Maybe I'm seeing things. :)

She needs more length of body and mass (bone and weight.) Hope was 28" long at 6mos, from tip of nose to base of her tail. Haven't measured her lately to see how long she is now.

Flemish are to be BIG buns! W/ nice width/mass to their bodies. They're called "Giants" for a reason. ;)

Latest posts

Back