PETsMART is starting to sell rabbits....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IF anyone would like to contact Jennifer Ericsson regarding her "brilliant
statements" in a recent article. please do so here:
Jennifer Ericsson, 623-587-2177

Hare-raising complaints: PetSmart creates stir with animal groups

Sara Murray
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 6, 2007 04:55 PM
PetSmart Inc. has begun breeding and test selling dwarf rabbits in a handful
of stores nationwide - including in Arizona - and the move isn't sitting well
with animal-adoption groups.

Shelters and other rescue agencies are threatening to end their partnerships
with the Phoenix-based company because they say the retailer is contributing
to the overpopulation of the furry critters and reneging on a previously made
commitment not to sell certain pets, including kittens, puppies and rabbits.

"It's sort of a personal slap in the face," said Margo DeMello,
administrative director of the House Rabbit Society's Albuquerque chapter. "They've always
been the good guys in terms of the large retailers."

Other large retailers, including Petco, already sell rabbits. PetSmart,
however, historically has limited its sales to small pets, such as fish and
hamsters.

The company, which for years has worked with rescue groups to adopt out
puppies and kittens and the like, said this week that, despite the new rabbit
policy, it has no plans to sell dogs or cats.

Millions of those animals are surrendered to shelters and euthanized each
year, but statistics on bunnies are harder to come by.

"We certainly don't doubt that there are rabbits in shelters that need
homes," PetSmart spokeswoman Jennifer Ericsson said. "But we also know that there
are people seeking pets that have been bred and want to have that pet from the
start," she said.

Test program
Rabbit sales began the week of July 9 and are taking place in 25 stores
nationwide. That number could expand to a maximum of 40 stores, Ericsson said.
During the test phase, the company will gauge community interest, community
feedback and overpopulation concerns before deciding whether to make the sales
permanent. The company has declined to say how long the test program will last or
which stores are involved, but at least one local store, the PetSmart at 7290
W. Bell Road in Glendale, already is selling the fuzzy creatures.

On a recent weekday, the store display of roughly a half-dozen bunnies was
met mostly with coos and cries of "Daddy, can I have one?" But at least one
customer said she was disappointed in the store's decision to sell the animals.

"I was hoping they would be more controlled about what they sell in there,"
said Glendale resident Debbie Thompson. "They're cute and cuddly, but you have
to be a responsible pet owner."

PetSmart is selling the rabbits for $99.99, hoping the price will deter
impulse buyers, according to the company's Web site. In addition, all the animals
are spayed and neutered.

The retailer also is allowing customers to return the pets within 14 days,
and it plans to suspend rabbit sales in the two weeks leading up to Easter.

But DeMello said the safeguards are inadequate and she fears that many
animals will end up being surrendered to shelters, where they face an uncertain
future.

Backlash
Other animal-rescue groups echo her concerns.

The Brambley Hedge Rabbit Rescue, for example, already has suspended its
adoptions with PetSmart. The company says it won't reinstitute its partnership
with the retailer until the company stops selling the animals.

"A lot of the rescue community feels that rabbits are the beginning," said
Erika Smith Royal, president and founder of the Scottsdale-based rescue group.
"Once they start with rabbits, it's only logical that kittens and puppies will
follow."

Ericsson, however, says the company has no such plans.

Nationwide 6 million to 8 million cats and dogs enter shelters each year, and
about 3 million to 4 million are euthanized, according to Humane Society
estimates. The Arizona Humane Society alone euthanized 29,557 animals last year.

Animal-activist groups cite rabbits as the third-most surrendered pet, but
most shelters lump rabbits in with other animals for record-keeping purposes,
which can lead to unreliable data.

PetSmart, however, says that the number of rabbit surrenders is very small
compared with canines and felines. According to the company's own adoption data,
only 2,000 bunnies have been adopted from PetSmart stores in the last two
years. That's out of more than 730,000 adoptions.

And Ericsson believes it would be shortsighted of rescue agencies to suspend
their adoptions at local PetSmart stores because of the new policy.

"I would think it's unfortunate on their part, and (on the) part of the
animals if they kind of cut off one extension of their ability to adopt out pets,"
she said.

DeMello, said she expects many House Rabbit Society chapters to cease doing
business with local PetSmarts, but said it's a tough decision.

"Do we continue to avail (the animals) to the local store that's been helpful
to us?" she asked. "(Or) do you want to send a larger message to the
corporation? "

Reach the reporter at sara.murray@ arizonarepublic. com or 602-444-8764.

Petsmart has updated the information on their Petsmart facts site:

PetSmart is testing the sale of spayed and neutered dwarf rabbits as part of the selection of small pets we offer for sale. The test currently involves 25 stores across the country. We recognize this may create some questions and concerns, so here are some details of the program.

About our spayed and neutered dwarf rabbits

• Dwarf rabbits are a type of domestic European rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus). They are much smaller than their larger cousins, but are capable of inbreeding and are not recognized as a separate species.

o They are about 10-20 inches in body size and up to 4-5 pounds in body weight when full grown and can live to be 6-10 years old.
o They are gentle and social. They enjoy the companionship of other dwarf rabbits, especially if they are raised together.
• All dwarf rabbits purchased from PetSmart are already spayed or neutered thus resulting in a calmer, less aggressive adult. The practice of spaying and neutering these rabbits also helps to control the pet population and reduces the risk of ovarian cancer in females.

• Since these rabbits are spayed or neutered and our focus is to find the right home for the right pet, we have chosen to price the rabbits at $99.99. At this price, the pet parent is much more inclined to stop and think through their purchase rather than buy on impulse, a practice PetSmart strongly discourages.

• Our rabbits have been bred by reputable breeders under the guidance of our PetSmart veterinarians and come with our Vet Assured guarantee. Also, because of the specialized nature of rabbit care, the cost of spay/neutering can vary from $50-$75 in low cost clinics to hundreds of dollars in metropolitan areas, so, the rabbits PetSmart offers are a great value.

• All small pets purchased at PetSmart receive the Vet Assured promise of health and wellness plus a 14-day satisfaction guarantee. Vet Assured is our exclusive veterinarian designed care program that helps to ensure your new pet is healthy.

About the test

• In-store tests provide us an opportunity to better understand the myriad of issues involved with introducing a new pet, including but certainly not limited to the relationship between sales and adoptions when applicable. If we chose to expand the test or to implement rabbit sales throughout our system, it will be only after we are convinced that we have full understanding of all the issues and that we can provide this pet to homes in a responsible and ethical manner.

• We only sell pets that we believe make good companions. So, we thoughtfully study these options and carefully test when making a decision to sell a specific pet. We seek customers who enjoy the companionship and bond of a pet. Our customers trust us to provide them with healthy, well-cared for pets. We take that responsibility seriously.

• As with our other pets, we take our responsibility seriously when it comes to selling them. We make sure our associates are well equipped to answer customers’ questions about the pet and determine if it’s the right fit. We provide customers with the tools to help them make a responsible decision and deliver the proper care and attention needed for their pet.

• Rabbits unquestionably enjoy popularity as pets, but comprehensive information about relinquishment, homelessness and euthanasia relative to the well-documented dog and cat situation, is more difficult to come by. We're working to get a better understanding of this situation during the test.

• We’ll conduct follow up random surveys with our customers as part of the test program to determine what their experience is like with their new pet.

• We won’t sell rabbits in the two weeks preceding Easter.

• For competitive reasons, we choose not to provide specific details of how long the test will last or if, when or where the program might be expanded to other stores; however, we hope to have preliminary data as early as late September or early October.

About adoptions

• Our decision to sell dwarf rabbits does not change our relationship with adoption agencies who facilitate rabbit adoptions. Our customers like to have a choice when deciding to add a pet to their family so we’ll continue to support in-store adoptions of rabbits in addition to selling this specific variety of rabbit in select stores.

• PetSmart partners with 40 rabbit-only shelters and many other rabbit-friendly shelters in the U.S. and Canada. Almost every state and province in North America has a shelter that supports rabbit adoption. Since 2002, PetSmart stores have adopted out 2,900 rabbits. By comparison, the company has adopted out more than 1.8 million dogs and cats in that same time frame. Pet Parents who are looking for a more mature pet may be interested in information available about an adoption center in the area. Our store associates can provide referrals.

I checked out the Deptford Petsmart. No rabbits. Someone is checking with the source of that info because they heard different.

Next time I am in Phoenix area (I think in 2 weesk)....I am going to the Glendale store to take pictures for every one and check it out. I will even ask the employees rabbit relation questions and have them take me through the store and help me decide on a cage, food, toys, ect. Then come home and email my (probably horrible) experience to PETsMART.

I wouldn't doubt all the rabbits are scared to death of humans, just like Petco's "Boutique Bunnies". Which means most rabbits will be seen as "boring and dumb" to most new bunny owners that purchase these rabbits....and later end up for sale on Craigslist, roaming the streets, or in a shelter.

Good idea.

I agree with rescues not wanting to keep partnership with PetsMart.. the rabbits PetsMart sells will most likely end up with the rescue or worse anyways.. :rollseyes

Just ignorance on PetsMart's part.

"We certainly don't doubt that there are rabbits in shelters that need
homes," PetSmart spokeswoman Jennifer Ericsson said. "But we also know that we don't really care and we just want to make money" she really means

I found this ad on the Criagslist site for Phoenix, AZ...

"I have the cutest little white bunny i just got from petsmart about 6 weeks ago for 100 dollars. I have two cats and now a puppy and i dont have enough time for the lil lady. The cats try to play with her and the bunny is not fond of my new pup. she isnt mean i just feel im not the best home for her because of my other animals. she cant roam freely because my other guys would chase her.

Im such an animal lover i feel bad. I am not selling the bunny but giving her to a free home as long as the person buys the rest of the setup for a hundred dollars. she is fixed and has whatever shots petsmart had provided. Im selling her setup for alot less than what i have put in just as long as she has a good home with no really small children to torment her and preferably an only animal.

You will be getting her cage 2 water bottles food bowl minerals for water toys chew thing whatever pellets timothy hay treats fresh vegetables and bedding i have left by the time you come look at her. she comes from a smoke and drug free home. I have named here lil bunny foo foo but im sure you could change it. she s so soft and adorable and i will hate to see her go. I will be happier knowing someone else will provide more attention to her and she makes a great apartment animal (I live in one!) she would makes childs birthday awesome as a present. shes still kinna little and she is a dwarf rabbit so she will not get big. she is not skiddish unless around other animals."

It makes me so angry. The bunny just needs time to get to know the other aniamls. Argg, this is an example of an impulse buy.

Possible to send me the link. I have some people that could use this.

undergunfire wrote:
I found this ad on the Criagslist site for Phoenix, AZ...

"I have the cutest little white bunny i just got from petsmart about 6 weeks ago for 100 dollars. I have two cats and now a puppy and i dont have enough time for the lil lady. The cats try to play with her and the bunny is not fond of my new pup. she isnt mean i just feel im not the best home for her because of my other animals. she cant roam freely because my other guys would chase her.

Im such an animal lover i feel bad. I am not selling the bunny but giving her to a free home as long as the person buys the rest of the setup for a hundred dollars. she is fixed and has whatever shots petsmart had provided. Im selling her setup for alot less than what i have put in just as long as she has a good home with no really small children to torment her and preferably an only animal.

You will be getting her cage 2 water bottles food bowl minerals for water toys chew thing whatever pellets timothy hay treats fresh vegetables and bedding i have left by the time you come look at her. she comes from a smoke and drug free home. I have named here lil bunny foo foo but im sure you could change it. she s so soft and adorable and i will hate to see her go. I will be happier knowing someone else will provide more attention to her and she makes a great apartment animal (I live in one!) she would makes childs birthday awesome as a present. shes still kinna little and she is a dwarf rabbit so she will not get big. she is not skiddish unless around other animals."

It makes me so angry. The bunny just needs time to get to know the other aniamls. Argg, this is an example of an impulse buy.

I sentthis to Petsmart just in case anyone else didn't. At the very least they will get multiple emails about this.

I also sent this to the rescue I volunteer for.

The person finally posted pics of the rabbit. I sent another email to Petsmart.

01010301021001030320070822624756c1a.jpg

010100010402010308200708226012d5193.jpg

I went to PETsMart today. Asked for the manager.

I asked him if he was aware of the rabbit situation, and he was. I stated my stand on the matter, that I will not shop here until the rabbit selling stops, and I asked for him to pass it on to his higher ups. He was very nice, understood where we are coming from and acknowledged my consiren. Saying that there have been others that stated the same thing. And that he will address it to his management.

I acted/talked very nice and just let him know that I knew it wasn't his fault, but please pass the msg.

You can do the same.

Offspring2099 wrote:
I acted/talked very nice and just let him know that I knew it wasn't his fault, but please pass the msg.

Good thinking! A lot of these places dont take PETA seriously, or want to listen to anyone who goes in there ranting and raving. They need to know that this is a problem and we (as bunny parents) wont shop there if they sell rabbits.

I agree, so much better to take it on a friendly/concerned point of view, then to just go in there ranting and rambling, which will accomplish nothing. Great job! I haven't been to the PetsMart near here for a bit. :?

I hate how Peta does things.. really, people talk more about them being nude than their actual cause, it doesn't help the animals at all. Could do so much better.

Latest posts

Back