PETsMART is starting to sell rabbits....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergunfire

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
"Many PetsMarts across the U.S. will soon begin to sell domestic
rabbits. Below is their claim to be responsible partners with
Animal Welfare Agencies with regards to cat and dog adoptions. As
rabbits are the third most popular pet, and thus the third most
likely to be abandoned and euthanized at animal shelters, shouldn't
they be afforded the same consideration?

(Lives saved: 3,000,000 as of June 23, 2007
Each year between 6 and 8 million pets enter shelters in the United
States. Of those homeless pets, 3 to 4 million lose their lives
simply because they do not have homes. Because of the in-store
adoption program our PetSmart stores have assisted our Animal
Welfare Agencies in placing 3 million pets into loving homes. Click
here to read more about our 3 Millionth Adoption.

Since its inception in 1987, PetSmart has chosen not to sell cats or
dogs in stores,
but rather to encourage pet adoptions. What's more, to help address
pet
overpopulation, PetSmart teams up with more than 3,400 local animal
welfare
organizations throughout North America and donates space in store
for the PetSmart Charities' Adoption Centers, helping to place
homeless pets in loving homes.)

By selling rabbits, PetsMart is attempting to boost the sales of
rabbit related merchandise, and is not considering the welfare of
the rabbits it soon will be exploiting.

Please voice your opinion to PetsMart in a letter, email, telephone
call or in person at your local store! Tell them that you will not
shop at PetsMart until they stop selling rabbits. Tell them how
irresponsible PetsMart is, by including the following concerns:

-they are adding to the problem of over-population, while unwanted
shelter rabbits are already dying.

-they are adding to the problem of over-population by not providing
spay and neuter services.

-they are increasing the likelihood that rabbits will be abandoned
outdoors where they cannot fend for themselves.

-they are increasing the likelihood that rabbits will be turned in
to "kill" shelters.

-they are not educating those who purchase rabbits on the benefits
of spay/neuter; which can help with population control, better
behavior, and better health.

-they are not education those who purchase rabbits on good rabbit
care, rabbit health and rabbit behavior

-for every rabbit sold, one in a shelter might die, and one in a
rescue will not get adopted, thus leaving rescues unable to pull
adoptable rabbits from "kill" shelters.

To contact PetsMart by:

Postal Service:
PetsMart, Inc.
19601 North 27th Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85027

Telephone:
1-800-738-1385

Email:
Go to http://www.petsmart.com
. At the bottom of the Homepage is a blue
menu. Click on "Contact Us." Once on the "Contact Us" page, click
on "Email PetsMart Stores."

To contact your local PetsMart store:
Go to http://www.petsmart.com
and click on "Store Locator" in the left
margin, blue menu, or in the blue menu at the bottom of the page.

Please post on rabbit lists, and forward to rabbit rescues and
rabbit people!!!

Kerry Stewart
(Rabbit Rescuer)"

Hrrrm..the corporate office is only 1 1/2 hours from me. If only I could march down there and hit someone when I go to Pheonix on the 18th :tantrum:.

oh my... that is a big problem. i cant believe they are doing this. it is so wrong for things to happen to such innocent little creatures.

edited to say: go right down there and complain i would.:)

:shock:
Well, shame on them, then. Mine doesn't sell rabbits yet, but I'll certainly talk to them about it.
Hmm... What my PetsMart does is showcase adoptable cats in a separate little room thing with a glass door, for the local animal shelter.
I think they could probably do that with rabbits, too, if they really want to boost sales of rabbitty things.

Not sure about PetSmart in Canada. I know the stores here work closely with NASAP (an animalrescue) to adopt out dogs and cats.

Rainbows! :)

Hmm, the only reason I shop at PetSmart today is because they do not sell rabbits.

HoneyPot wrote:
Hmm, the only reason I shop at PetSmart today is because they do not sell rabbits.

Exactly why I run in there to get that one grass ball toy with the bell in it for my buns.

This is really upsetting. I haven't been to my PETsMART store in a few months. Maybe it's time for a trip there to see if they have bunnies yet. I wonder how much they will be selling them for and what cages they will be in. I hope they won't stick them in the little cages like they use for the piggies.

GRRR.

:carrotAmy

Part of it could be shipping costs to Alaska, I also think they raised the price so that people who didn't have enough money to properly care for their bunny wouldn't buy them, they would do better to make people fill out a form like with the humane society.

I rarely shop at Petsmart... petco is closer to me. As far as I know my petco/petsmart doesn't sell rabbits. If they start I would certainly voice my concerns though. I might just call them.

I wonder if they come spayed/neutered already for a high price? I also wonder if they are the "Boutique Bunnies" from Marshall Farms that Petco sells.

I rarely go to PETsMART or Petco, so I'm STOP going there all together, even if I only go once every few months. I prefer to shop online or at my local mom & pop pet store. Yeah, the local mom & pop store sells bunnies and keeps them in an aquarium on pine bedding, but they are culls from the local Holland breeders around here or they are babies from accidental litters in the area.

I would much rather give my money to my local store, where they actually care for the buns and sell Oxbow now.

It is just really sad that PetsMart has decided to sell rabbits. I wish the sales would stop all together...even for mice.

:carrotAmy

For food and hay and everything I usually get it at pet supply stores and feed stores. We mainly just buy our dog's food at PetsMart. Will have to find somewhere else though!

I'm very disappointed in Petsmart, the fact that thye don't sell rabbits is the main reason I shop there. They also just reciently bought the Superpet chain up here, who do sell rabbits, and that was seen as a being an end to that but I guess not. :X

Ugh! No!!

Its the only pet store that doesn't sell rabbits, which is why I shopped there!

Hopefully they'll relize that their just going to LOSE money from customers not going there anymore, rather than gain it from selling rabbits. Even though I know thats not true, because so many people who know NOTHING about rabbits are going to buy them now :(

Ah...any more good news? :p

In my area PetCo sells rabbits and theyare rather expensive (they are spayed/neutered) I don't shop there although I have been there to "check it out" I observed lots of animals in small cages not very clean and employees who didn't really seem to know much about them. Their prices are high and the health of some of the animals was questionable.

Petsmart doesn't sell rabbits as far as I know (I just recently quit working part time there) they do however have an adoption area (local humane society) where they house and care for cats/kittens at their own cost for the humane society. I have yet to see a sick animal for sale in any petsmart store. Obviously at times they do have sick animals but they are removed from the sale floor, taken to the vet and in a quarantine/hospital room where they can be treated and hopefully returned to the sale floor. If any animal has a medical issue or problem with temperment the store will not sell them but rather try to adopt them to an appropriate home.

In my own personal opinion Petsmart out does any of the pet chain stores when it comes to caring for their animals, helping to raise money for homeless animals, educating the public, etc.

*Hopefully* they are not selling but rather housing rabbits for the humane society to adopt to new homes :)

Latest posts

Back