PETsMART is starting to sell rabbits....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What annoys me is thatthe rabbit rescue I volunteer for holds adoption events at a local Petsmart at least 1-2 times a month. We are so overwhelmed with rabbits it is sad. There is even a waiting list for owner surrenders and shelters looking to rehome. This really bites.

We hold adoption shows at Petsmart twice a month too. There are always dog and cat rescues there at the same time we are. I just don't know what Petsmart is thinking on this one.

Just to add more fuel to the fire here is an article from 2000 stating that Petsmart will not sell rabbits.

On the Side of Angels

Publication: Retail Merchandiser Date: Saturday, July 1 2000

While PETsMART may not sell dogs or cats, it does sell fish, birds and hamsters—but there is a limit as to what animals can be sold."We try to stay on the side of angels with all animals," says Philip Francis, chairman/president/CEO of PETsMART Inc. "We do not sell certain animals for specific reasons."Many pet retailers sell iguanas, and while PETsMART sells iguana food and habitats, the chain does not sell actual iguanas. Iguanas grow large over a two-year period often requiring as many as three or four habitats and tend to become nasty as they age."We could sell a cute, baby iguana, but nine months later when the iguana is on its fourth habitat and spits at its owners when they walk within a foot, we think that reflects badly on us and on future pet ownership," says Francis. "We'd rather forego the sale when we know 90 percent of the people are going to be unhappy in 18 months."Although it does sell food and cages for them, PETsMART does not sell ferrets because when owners become tired of them they are often released into the wild. According to Francis, as long as the ferrets last in the wild they decimate the wild bird population. Nor will the chain sell salt-water fish, because when they're caught in the wild it destroys coral reef.Rabbits are also taboo. Six weeks before the Easter holiday bunnies become popular pet purchases, but 10 days later the majority of them wind up in shelters. For this reason, PETsMART will not sell rabbits, but it will carry rabbit food and supplies. However, the company does allow the humane societies/animal shelters to bring rabbits to the Luv-A-Pet-Adoption Centers in the hopes of finding homes for them."Our brand name stands for ethics, quality, health and good care for animals and we're always willing to forego the short run marginal sale because our standards are higher and our ethics are little bit better," says Francis.

Insert comments here........

I think the quote that pla725 posted should be sent back to Petsmart to remind them of their own standards that they apparently forgot about...

Jessi

That thought crossed my mind.

What is even funnier is that both women who founded the rescue work for Petsmart. One is a groomer and the other a trainer. I emailed them last night about this. I haven't heard back.

Just heard back from the rescue. Here's their concern:

We were afraid of this. We were told because there is a rescue in place here that they would not be sold. However, that left the stores where there was no rescue in place.

If they can construct a rabbit display to sell, why can't they construct a rabbit display for rescue. And, how will they handle the return of a rabbit after a year?

Went to Petsmart today.

Themanager was busywith a dog obedience class.

NASAP (an animalrescue), was busy with a major cat adoption day.

5xhs5n8.jpg

I asked an employee, if they would start selling rabbits. She didn't know, but thought it was a good idea.
She said it would be easy to set up a rabbit display in their small animal section.
I left the store without buying anything.

Rainbows! :sad:

The rescue I volunteer for is not happy at all with this. We depend on Petsmart as a funding source. We get a donation from them for every adoption. Actually it is our primary source of funds, outside of the generosity of the public and adoption and surrender fees.

We are discussing this issue and how to deal with this. At the very least we will write letters.

I know for a fact that my PETsMART in town will start selling bunnies. The only bunny rescues around here are 1 1/2 hours away in Phoenix, and they have their own PETsMARTs to hold adoption events at.

I haven't vistited my PETsMART yet. I think I am too scared to. I do, however, know the manager of the store...if conditions are bad, I will let him know. My PETsMART is excellent at keeping everything clean though.

Gah :(.

HRS's response and letter to Petsmart:

http://www.rabbit.org/hrs-info/petsmart_release.html

http://www.rabbit.org/hrs-info/petsmart_letter.html

What You Can Do Regarding PetSmart's Sale of Rabbits

Please let PetSmart know that you are unhappy with their decision to sell
rabbits in their stores, rather than reach out to more rabbit rescue groups
to expand their rabbit adoption programs. Please send PetSmart a polite
letter or email, or give them a call to let them know of your concerns, via
the contact information below:

Email: http://www.petsmart.com/global/customerservice/contactUsForm.jsp
Phone: (800) 738-1385
Fax: (623) 580-6502
Snail mail:
PetSmart, Inc.
19601 North 27th Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85027

That article is the biggest load of bull poop I have ever read.. Talk about trying to put a pretty face on a situation.Why PetsMart just didn't increase rabbitadoptions as their test instead of selling them beats me, all comes down to money.

No more shopping at PetSMart for me!!:grumpy:

Apparently petsmart thinks a good way to deal with this whole thing is to feed you a nice, big load of syrupy corporate BS and give you a smiley face sticker. Can you put a smiley face sticker on the many bunnies that are sitting in shelters waiting to be PTS simply because no one wants them and call it a job well done? I don't think so!

Petsmart has always made a name for itself as a decently pro-adoption store, which is why I shop there. Since they say they promote adoptions, why don't they practice what they preach and just kick up the adoptions a notch instead of selling breeder mill dwarves? This "test" is bad, both for the bunnies in the shelters and those unfortunate breeder mill bunnies. I'm drafting an email right now.

:tantrum: :tears2:

*sigh* Alright, I'm done ranting now. I'll get off the soap box.

Hopefully they will come to their senses. I hope they have little sales of rabbits in their stores.

I am suprised the letter from the HRS didn't change their mind.

Latest posts

Back