PETsMART is starting to sell rabbits....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to see if I can get to my PETsMART today. If they are selling rabbits in the Phoenix stores and headquarters is in Phoenix.....why would they not just throw some bunnies in our store that is 2 hours away?

Question....is it the Corporation that decides which store to put rabbits in....or do the head managers of the store get the choice?

I didn't get a chance to go. It's been a rather lazy day here....especially with all the rain that we have been getting. Hopefully I can make it out there tomorrow.

I don't want to call my store either. I don't want them to think that I am someone showing positive interest in the sale of bunnies in the store.

I am on a Yahoo group and they have been talking about PETsMART's rabbit sales....and they had a good idea that I would like to share here....

Mail in your Pet Perks cards along with a letter stating why you will no longer need the card anymore.

:)

That's a good idea! I might do that. I just need to find another place that sells my dogs organic food.. he has allergies and that's one of the only foods that agree with him. So I might have to keep going there for the certain food.. but I won't be picking up anything else that's for sure!

:grumpy:

undergunfire wrote:
I am on a Yahoo group and they have been talking about PETsMART's rabbit sales....and they had a good idea that I would like to share here....

Mail in your Pet Perks cards along with a letter stating why you will no longer need the card anymore.

The one I mentioned?

JadeIcing wrote:
undergunfire wrote:

The one I mentioned?

It was either that one or the local rabbit group that we have here. I can't remember :p.

Oh yeah, I went to my PETsMART the other day and asked if they were going to be selling rabbits, and the employee said, "No, I haven't heard anything about it", and there is no construction going on in the store.

So, I guess my store is in the clear for now.

I went to my store yesterday and theyhadn't either, so hopefully it stays that way. They were selling two white pigeons though whichwas odd to me :S. Never seen a pigeons in a pet store! I think they were pigeons, wouldn't imagine them to be doves..

I haven't heardif any of the stores in my area are selling rabbits. The two founders of the rescue I volunteer for actually work at Petsmart and they haven't heard anything either.

I'm so fed up with PetsMart.. They just choose to ignore the situation to make money off the sales of these poor critters.

Hopefully they'll come to their senses soon and end this 'test'.

Well, this certainly stinks. Ivolunteer in the Petsmart every Sunday (with the county animal shelter, I help with the dogs and cats). Occasionally, we and sometimes other groups do bring buns into the store for adoption. I wish they would do it more often. I think this is a bad idea, but people do come in and ask for rabbits.

We have both PetCo and PetSmart within reasonable driving distance. A while back I bought a rabbit from a PetCo store as she looked tired of sitting in her little cage and in great need of TLC.

The employees there are friendly and the store is clean - - - I was actually there to buy some aquarium supplies for my blue lobsters. Anyway they said this bunny was an Eng. angora. Since I own a pair of pedigreed Eng. angoras ; I'm familiar with their appearance and I knew that this bun was a very pretty BEW Jersy Wooly. But I didn't say anything and just asked a little about the bun's background.

The store employee said that a few days prior ; a dozen or so buns were dropped off at a local animal rescue. This bun was one of them. Being familiar with the animal rescue mentioned.....I called them later that day and confirmed that 13 buns were dropped off. The girl I talked to sounded a bit inexperienced and related the info. that the buns were left in a large cardboard box by person or persons unknown ( at the front entrance and then drove off without entering the building ) .

I had to say something then , but stayed polite :). "What about the 65.$ fee you guys charge for dropping off one rabbit ? I mean, could'nt somone have jotted down their license plate or something ? When a lady at my son's school dropped of a tattooed and pedigreed REW eng. angora - - at your rescue sometime back, you charged her 65.$ You can't charge one person fora rabbit and make no effort for somone who drops off 13. "

The girl replied that animal welfare officers were already checking with rabbit breeders and rabbit show people in the area to see if it was one of them. She said that the welfare/humane people were checking online rabbits breeders and calling their homes andplaces of business.

This is a long post with a long rabbit trail :biggrin2:; but now I know a little bit of our new bun's background. Two weeks after I purchased her, she surprised us with 2 little kits ! I had not palpated her as I didn't reallythink she'dbe pregnant - - really should have expected it.......

One morning as I went to feed her ; there on a pile of fur were twowhite-pink balls that jumped and wiggled. The mom is very tiny and a dwarf nest box worked fine for her.

We've named miss BEW jersy wooly .... Chimera. Her eyes are almost purple , or maybe a light violet. I'll try to post pic.s tomorrow. She seems to have been a house bunny . She's very gentle and when I let her run around the kitchen, she immediately finds one of our two rugs to flop down on ; never even seems to notice or mind people walking by !

Sorry I got off topic from PetSmart/PetCo. I don't have anything against them; EXCEPT...when these two stores ( or a rescue ) sell/adopt a rabbit, THEY need to take responsibility if they sell an alreadypregnant animal. Just my opinion.

Kadish Tolesa

Kadish Tolesa wrote:
THEY need to take responsibility if they sell an alreadypregnant animal. Just my opinion.

Well, my Petco sells "Boutique Bunnies" from Marshall Farms, so they are already neutered at an extremely young age.

PETsMART claims that they will be selling already altered buns, again...at a very young age.

Usually Petco and PETsMART won't give a crap if they sell a pregnant hamster, gerbil, rat, mouse, ect. You can probably take your receipt back to them with pictures of the babies and the mother that they came from. I would probably think that the least they would do would be to offer to take all the babies and the mom back and refund your money.

:rollseyes

Sounds like Petsmart has started to rethink their "test" to sell rabbits. This email was forward to me through the rescue I volunteer for.

Fellow rescuers,

I am pleased to report that Petsmart has decided not to roll out the second set of 20 test stores. The evaluation and analyzing of the initial test data will take place over the next couple of months.

Approximately 40 rabbit specific rescues have returned their surveys. Thank you, if you have already sent yours back to Petsmart. If you have not hadthe chance yet,Kit has extended the deadline date.

The more data we provide, the more information we give Kit to help us.

Thank you again,

Erika Smith Royal
Brambley Hedge Rabbit Rescue

Yes! WOOHOO! :biggrin2:Although I have to say I've lost the little respect I already had for PetsMart forselliing rabbits..I still have to buy my dogs food there, but nothing for the bunny girls and boy.

Sounds great :D I'm glad they've decided not to continue this any more than they have (I'd really rather they not "Sell" any animal, as not just rabbits and dogs and cats come from bad situations. -Any- responsible animal breeder cares enough about their animals to not sell en masse to pet stores, so the only places they get them from are bad.)
I hope they won't make any more crazy decisions like that in the future ;)

Latest posts

Back