Pet rabbit festivals/events

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrizzy97

Reaction score
Good morning bunny community!

I follow many bunny parent blogs online and on YouTube. One common thing I see is bunny parents taking their bunnies to bunny festivals and events. There’s vendors for all things bunny, activities, and the chance for your bunny to play with others. I want to attend one of these so bad. I am from Connecticut but I do not mind driving to the surrounding states to get to one.

Does anyone know of these events/festivals that happen yearly in the New England area?

If so, please let me know! After this pandemic decreases, I want to start getting more interactive with my bunny and bringing him places.

The current weather is in the 60s where I’m at, which is beautiful for my bunny and I. It isn’t too hot, and it’s very comfortable outside. My bunny is a free roam indoor rabbit, but I would like to take him to a local park on a leash one day to experience the outdoors. Thoughts on that?? Have you ever taken your bunny to the park on a leash, and if so how did it go??
Thank you all again for all your support and kindness! It feels good knowing I have a community of people I can talk to about this stuff! :)

I took my bunny to the lake, a lot of people stared and you become the center of attention. Even people walking with dogs will stare and smile 😅

So bunnies capture attention och people, I’m glad I live in sweden so most people ask if they can pet but most will just look from a distance. So it never becomes crowded for my bunny and he don’t care having people around him. I often take him to places where the grass is okay to eat, so he can explore and enjoy eating grass.

But you need to keep your bunny vaccinated if you take them out and have the rabbit diseases. Because moving outdoors will increase the chance of your bunny to catch the virus of rvhd and myxomatosis.

Taken a bunny out to different places it will also be important how your bunny character is and if your bunny will be relaxed and want to explore. Myself would never take my bunny Toste out among people, because his personality doesn't fit and would only be scared and stressed.

My bunny is a free roam indoor rabbit, but I would like to take him to a local park on a leash one day to experience the outdoors. Thoughts on that?? Have you ever taken your bunny to the park on a leash, and if so how did it go??

Not all rabbits will train to a leash/harness. For some it is far too stressful. For those ok with it, it is still a process to get a bunny used to a harness. It can take weeks and it starts indoors.
The problem with taking a rabbit to a park is that you don't know how the grass has been treated. You don't want bunny ingesting pesticides, weed-killer, fertilizer, etc. Nor do you want him to get mites, fleas, etc.
A pet stroller might be a better way to go.

Here's some more considerations:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bringing-outside.html

I want to take Theo to one of those, and I have been looking for one, but haven't found one yet near Tennessee. If I took him I would get a pet stroller, but also bring his harness if I decided to get let him out.

I do not understand the whole bunny play date thing. Gotta be honest. Bunnies don't tend to play with rabbits they aren't bonded with. Also, why take the chance spreading illness? And many bunnies stress out going to strange places. I understand the excitement of meeting other bunny lovers and wanting to show off your rabbit, but bunnies are not dogs, they don't have the same adventurous spirit and interest in playing with others.

I also question taking a rabbit for a stroll in the park, mainly because so many people have dogs, and many of them let their dog off their lead. It takes about 2 seconds for a dog to kill a rabbit. No way would I take that risk.

A very prominent youtuber brought her rabbit to a gathering and then was hysterical because another bunny bit her rabbit's ear and made it bleed, and honestly I was like, what did you expect? Rabbit's aren't dogs. They don't pine for play dates. Rabbits fight and they fight ugly. That's why bonding is such a tricky business. Please don't put your rabbit into a pen with a bunch of strange rabbits and expect happy results.

Go to the expo and have fun, meet people, buy fun bunny related merch, but make your bunny happy and leave it home.

I do not understand the whole bunny play date thing. Gotta be honest. Bunnies don't tend to play with rabbits they aren't bonded with. Also, why take the chance spreading illness? And many bunnies stress out going to strange places. I understand the excitement of meeting other bunny lovers and wanting to show off your rabbit, but bunnies are not dogs, they don't have the same adventurous spirit and interest in playing with others.

I also question taking a rabbit for a stroll in the park, mainly because so many people have dogs, and many of them let their dog off their lead. It takes about 2 seconds for a dog to kill a rabbit. No way would I take that risk.

A very prominent youtuber brought her rabbit to a gathering and then was hysterical because another bunny bit her rabbit's ear and made it bleed, and honestly I was like, what did you expect? Rabbit's aren't dogs. They don't pine for play dates. Rabbits fight and they fight ugly. That's why bonding is such a tricky business. Please don't put your rabbit into a pen with a bunch of strange rabbits and expect happy results.

Go to the expo and have fun, meet people, buy fun bunny related merch, but make your bunny happy and leave it home.
I couldn't agree more! Rabbits are not dogs. Rabbits are not toys. They should have plenty of exercise space 24/7 (and therefore not need to be taken out) and places to hide. They are happiest in their familiar environment.

It really depends on the individual rabbit if it is fine one leash, in other places, or at those bunny meetings. And it's each owners decision.
It's good to point out misconceptions, like all rabbits would love a leash, or are cuddly, peaceful furballs. but the attitude that I know what is best and right for everyone is a huge misconcetption too.

People showing off on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, etc are not smarter than the average person, and some are even rather..., difficult. And there's too much going behind the scenes, apart from lots of training, to take anything shown there for granted, those who get some fame are pretty unusual rabbits, that rises a lot wrong expectations. Like that "Adventures at the beach or park on the leash thing".

The park isn't a great Idea for several reasons, even if the rabbit doesn't mind the leash. You can't walk a rabbit like a dog, you follow it where it wants to go. That's fine somewhere where there are no people, children, dogs etc.
If something goes wrong n the park there's nowhere to go, and they don't seek protection from the owner, I don't think they have that concept. I wouldn't want a rabbit in panic on a leash while trying to get rid of the dog. It wouldn't hurt to ask oneself if showing the rabbit off isn't just serving ones own vanity.

Back