Pellet question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sibelabmom

@lokibragiandtyr_buns
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so, I got my degree in veterinary technology, but what that means is that not much time was spent on exotics. I know how to figure out the best foods for dogs and cats, how to read the ingredient list and what it should contain in what order, but I don't know how to do the same for rabbit pellets. I've been using Oxbow Essentials Young Rabbit Food, but I also have a bag of Select Series Pro, and the ingredient list for the Walmart brand, although I'm inclined to completely ignore that one.

I'm curious how the Oxbow and Select Series shape up to one another. Does anyone use the Select Series?

Hay should be the first ingredient. Whether alfalfa or a grass hay, depends on the age of the rabbit and whether it's a pet, nursing doe, etc, because of different calcium levels and protein levels.

If this is manna pro you're talking about, the basic ingredients are similar, but oxbow is the better of the two in my opinion, the main differences being the fiber percentage and the better quality control.

High fiber, balanced with the right amount of protein/nutrients, is considered important for optimal digestive health in rabbits. The lower percentage of fiber in the manna pro pellets could be offset to some extent, with free feeding good grass hay and limiting pellet amounts, if the quality was as good as oxbow, which I don't feel it is. This is based on personal accounts I've read from others, as well as my own experience.

I don't know if the select series pellets has better quality control in the ingredient and pelleting process, over their farm store bulk rabbit food, but having used both oxbow and their show food, I've seen for myself the effect on my own rabbits. Trying to switch from oxbow to manna pro show, to try and save money, I saw a change in my rabbits poop becoming mushy and unhealthy looking during the gradual transition process. No other changes were made in their diet that could have been the cause, other than the change of pellets. Same hay and greens as before.

Now I'm extremely careful with my rabbits diet due to some having been prone to digestive issues. I had 7 rabbits at the time and the manna pro affected all of them, showing up in negative changes with their poop, which is a reflection of poor digestive function and health. So I transitioned them back onto the oxbow and their poop went back to normal. Which leads me to believe that the difference in the pellets had to come down to the quality of ingredients being used or something wrong in the process in making the pellets.

I've tried many different pellet brands over the years, and the ones that I more consistently had problems with in quality and it's effect on digestive health, was always with the lower quality bulk feed store pellets brands. This would include the Walmart food.

Nutrition of Rabbits - Exotic and Laboratory Animals - Merck Veterinary Manual

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Nutrition_for_rabbits

Hay should be the first ingredient. Whether alfalfa or a grass hay, depends on the age of the rabbit and whether it's a pet, nursing doe, etc, because of different calcium levels and protein levels.

If this is manna pro you're talking about, the basic ingredients are similar, but oxbow is the better of the two in my opinion, the main differences being the fiber percentage and the better quality control.

High fiber, balanced with the right amount of protein/nutrients, is considered important for optimal digestive health in rabbits. The lower percentage of fiber in the manna pro pellets could be offset to some extent, with free feeding good grass hay and limiting pellet amounts, if the quality was as good as oxbow, which I don't feel it is. This is based on personal accounts I've read from others, as well as my own experience.

I don't know if the select series pellets has better quality control in the ingredient and pelleting process, over their farm store bulk rabbit food, but having used both oxbow and their show food, I've seen for myself the effect on my own rabbits. Trying to switch from oxbow to manna pro show, to try and save money, I saw a change in my rabbits poop becoming mushy and unhealthy looking during the gradual transition process. No other changes were made in their diet that could have been the cause, other than the change of pellets. Same hay and greens as before.

Now I'm extremely careful with my rabbits diet due to some having been prone to digestive issues. I had 7 rabbits at the time and the manna pro affected all of them, showing up in negative changes with their poop, which is a reflection of poor digestive function and health. So I transitioned them back onto the oxbow and their poop went back to normal. Which leads me to believe that the difference in the pellets had to come down to the quality of ingredients being used or something wrong in the process in making the pellets.

I've tried many different pellet brands over the years, Darn...I got a better look at my Select Series bag today, and you're right...it i

I've tried many different pellet brands over the years, and the ones that I more consistently had problems with in quality and it's effect on digestive health, was always with the lower quality bulk feed store pellets brands. This would include the Walmart food.

Nutrition of Rabbits - Exotic and Laboratory Animals - Merck Veterinary Manual

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Nutrition_for_rabbits
Darn...I got a better look at my Sekect Series bag just now and you're right...it IS Manna Pro. Looks like I'll be returning that!

Here is a good resource that explains (in intro paragraphs) what to look for in pellet feed. That should help you with specific comparisons.
Rabbit Food Comparision - Brand, Type, Nutritional Analysis
Is there one showing other US foods? All of the really good ones are prohibitively expensive for me to get in the States. The only decent one listed that is available to me is Oxbow. I'm curious if there are any comparable to Mealberry, Burgess, Beaphar...none of which I can get.

The best US pet rabbit brands to me are oxbow, sherwood, science select, and small pet select, with sherwood having the best ingredients and quality. Then kaytee timothy complete and mazuri timothy. The manna pro may be fine, but I just didn't have a positive experience feeding it.

Buying larger bags can help reduce cost. I always bought the oxbow adult 25 lb bag online. Though to retain the freshness and vitamin content, it's best to store in a cool dry environment. Storing in a fridge or freezer is even an option, especially if a large bag is going to last more than a few months (or after opened with manufacturer sealed plastic bags).

What I see as lesser quality brands, may work just fine for some people's rabbits. But it was my experience that digestive issues are more likely with the lower quality feeds, even with the rabbits on free fed good quality grass hay and limited pellets. Particularly if you have one of those rabbits with a more sensitive digestive system, which I did have a few that were.

Is there one showing other US foods? All of the really good ones are prohibitively expensive for me to get in the States. The only decent one listed that is available to me is Oxbow. I'm curious if there are any comparable to Mealberry, Burgess, Beaphar...none of which I can get.
I would also second taking a look at Sherwood food. As far as expense goes, it may seem as though prices are high for good quality feed, but when you break it down, it may be better than you think. An average size adult rabbit should be getting about 1/4 cup of feed per day. Last I checked, a good quality pellet brand ends up being about $5 per month (per rabbit when feeding that recommended 1/4 cup per day).

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/costs.html

I would also second taking a look at Sherwood food. As far as expense goes, it may seem as though prices are high for good quality feed, but when you break it down, it may be better than you think. An average size adult rabbit should be getting about 1/4 cup of feed per day. Last I checked, a good quality pellet brand ends up being about $5 per month (per rabbit when feeding that recommended 1/4 cup per day).

Hi all who jumped in! I just want to say how much I appreciate your knowledge and your expertise and experience with your own buns and with others like me who love our buns (I only have one but she’s a handful) and we only want the best for them. I knew absolutely nothing about bunnies before I got Minx and what I have learned is 99% been on this forum! I so trust you and depend on you when things go sideways!
Many times things are questioned and discussed and I didn’t even know it was an issue!! 😱 I thank you so much! I love my Minx and want her hoppy and healthy and for many years! So thank you! I think you are all so amazing and I’m sure most of you have lives besides your buns but you always take the time to be there for us!! Again I say “thank you”

The cost issue was only in regards to getting UK brands here in the States. When I looked up those brands, the shipping alone was ridiculous. For one that I saw, a five pound bag was $40, and the shipping was double that. That was when I realized those were overseas brands and not available here.

Back