Peg's Place - 2009

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just took a short video of them and then handled them for a bit. Honestly - I could cuddle with babies all day long - not that their mama would like that...

A couple of them started pancaking when I pet their heads...so adorable.

Sophia won't come out of her cage at all and wants me to just leave her alone. When I go out to the rabbitry she watches my every movement and it is almost as if she WANTS to tell me something...but she doesn't want me to pet her or take her out to play.

I'm hoping she has her babies soon so I can stop worrying about her.

I just freaked out pretty bad - I was looking at Sophia and she looked thinner - at least on the side I was looking at. LOTS thinner.

There were no babies in the cage though and she was eating.

I continued feeding and then went back to check her out. By then she was laying on her side with the other side upwards...and she had a bulge for sure. (She'd been standing earlier). I put my hand on her and felt for a bit - YEP - baby kicks for sure.

I'm not sure if some of the babies are moving into the birth canal and that is why one side looks thinner - or what.

But I know she still has babies...

I'm so excited.

Athena nursed the babies earlier - I was on the phone w/ Ali at the time and a couple of them fell out of the nestbox (I'm a bit worried about that but she made them a better nest towards the back and I helped her get them moved into it...).

Nine of the babies have big tummies and two are so-so. They aren't "bad" - they just aren't "good".

Still no babies for Sophia and she just started eating her carrot - so she's not in labor yet....

The babies are still doing fine - the two I was concerned about I still am concerned about - BUT - they have eaten again since last night (they all have).

It looks like mama is feeding them at least twice a day.

Sophia still has not had her babies but that's ok - today is only day 32 and I know Cathy has said hers will sometimes go to day 33.

In addition - Cathy told me that at this age - the ones with the massive heads are normally bucks (99% of the time) and that it is good I'm looking for "balance" in the babies.

Guess that is it for now - I've done more videos and will share them later.

TinysMom wrote:
In addition - Cathy told me that at this age - the ones with the massive heads are normally bucks (99% of the time) and that it is good I'm looking for "balance" in the babies.
That makes sense...the bucks usually do have much broader faces than the does when they are older, so why not now? The broad facesthenjust continue to develop along with the rest of the kit. :) Even at this age, they are individuals, uniquely formed by the Creator. You will soon know more about their personalities, but the individual characteristics are already apparent.

Oh Peg, I really hope Sophia gives birth soon, To put your mind at rest, I'm glad all the babies are doing well and are getting fed. Keep us updated!

Sophia still has not had the babies and is not nesting yet. She's just feeling 'miserable' and wants me to leave her alone most of the time.

I'm not worried because she's not in any distress or anything and Cathy told me that flemish giants can often go late...

All eleven babies are still looking good and I'm quite happy. I may go play with them again in a couple of minutes.

Oh - and totally non-bunny related...I did a mile on my exercise bike earlier today - hope to do another mile tonight.

And Zeus - I need to update about Zeus...he got two new coloring books for Christmas - so earlier today (while I was on the phone w/ Alicia actually and mentioned at least he wasn't shredding something of mine) - he started shredding (big time) his original coloring book. He seemed quite happy to do it also.

I guess he likes knowing he'll have backups..

TinysMom wrote:
Sophia still has not had the babies and is not nesting yet. She's just feeling 'miserable' and wants me to leave her alone most of the time.

I'm not worried because she's not in any distress or anything and Cathy told me that flemish giants can often go late...

All eleven babies are still looking good and I'm quite happy. I may go play with them again in a couple of minutes.

Oh - and totally non-bunny related...I did a mile on my exercise bike earlier today - hope to do another mile tonight. WooHoo!!

And Zeus - I need to update about Zeus...he got two new coloring books for Christmas - so earlier today (while I was on the phone w/ Alicia actually and mentioned at least he wasn't shredding something of mine) - he started shredding (big time) his original coloring book. He seemed quite happy to do it also.
Awww:) Thats cute getting him coloring books!
I guess he likes knowing he'll have backups..

Sophia is a MAJOR grump tonight - she chased after Athena when they were down on the floor and I had to use the broom to get her to leave the rabbitry so she'd settle down elsewhere.

However - she went in the bathroom and moped - so I went in and sat on the floor and ate part of an apple...of course she got the other bites and her mood was greatly improved after that.

I almost wonder if she's jealous of all the attention I was showing Athena and the babies because once she got my attention for a bit - she was much happier.

Now if she would just HAVE these babies...

Sophia just had six babies. She had them on her cage floor - didn't build a nest or anything....but we got them in the nestbox.

They look like they have nice full tummies at least!

Latest posts

Back