Peg's Place - 2009

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We actually almost lost one last night.....it made it out of the nestbox....out of the cage....and was on its way to Nyx's cage across the room.

Another one was trying to make it out of the nest too.

Time to put up the stuff to keep babies IN the cage at least. I think they're staying attached to the nipples and coming out that way.

Oh - all eleven have PING PONG tummies - everyone is not only well fed - but a couple look almost ready to burst.

Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears wrote:
Yah she had babies. If she does a good job in the first few days are going to give her a few of Athena's?
I'm going to talk to Cathy about that - but I tend right now to think I won't be doing that (I had been thinking about it).

The reason is - Athena pulled fur - made an awesome nest - and now is feeding all 11 so they have ping pong bellies.

Meanwhile - Sophia didn't pull fur - didn't make a nest - and doesn't seem to understand about being a mother.

I'm sure she'll learn...she'll probably do just great.

But I think Athena would be very upset if I take a couple away because whenever I put them back in her cage I swear she goes and counts them and nudges every one.

Ahh Athena is just a cutie counting her kids. She's doing good. Sophia should be talking to Athena on child rearing tips. It's so cute that one of the babies was trying to visit her Aunty Nyx ;)
Speaking of Aunty Nyx....this is sorta funny - especially if you were there at the time.

Nyx has not been allowed near the babies - at all. I wasn't sure what she would do and I didn't think Athena would like it - so when the girls are out playing - I take the nestbox out of Athena's cage.

Well - I sat on the floor of the rabbitry with the nestbox last night - shortly before putting it in - and upon seeing the nestbox was on the floor - Nyx came running at FULL SPEED from about 15 feet away so she could come and see the babies.

I held one and let her sniff at it - and then she sniffed at the ones in the nestbox but I was petting her head while she did that so if she tried to attack them - I'd be able to stop her.

She was fascinated by the babies....and she kept looking at me and then looking at the babies and then back to me.

Even today when I let her out to play - the first thing she did was to go look for the babies.

paul2641 wrote:
OH MY GOD 17 babies on your hands Peg, You must be a very proud mother He He!
Well - I am a proud mother of my two kids (Eric & Robin).....but when I look at my bunnies - I see myself more as a "grandmother" than a mother.

Art & I were talking today about what it must feel like to give birth to 11 babies at one time.

Glad I'm not a rabbit.

TinysMom wrote:
Well - I sat on the floor of the rabbitry with the nestbox last night - shortly before putting it in - and upon seeing the nestbox was on the floor - Nyx came running at FULL SPEED from about 15 feet away so she could come and see the babies.

I held one and let her sniff at it - and then she sniffed at the ones in the nestbox but I was petting her head while she did that so if she tried to attack them - I'd be able to stop her.

She was fascinated by the babies....and she kept looking at me and then looking at the babies and then back to me.

Even today when I let her out to play - the first thing she did was to go look for the babies.

That's so cute!! Auntie Nyx is like most young ladies who want to get pregnant some time in the future....she admires and makes a fuss over others' babies, and dreams of the day when it is her turn.

:bunnydance:I'm just so exited about your Flemmie population explosion. Tell Sophia she done good!

TinysMom wrote:
paul2641 wrote:
OH MY GOD 17 babies on your hands Peg, You must be a very proud mother He He!
Well - I am a proud mother of my two kids (Eric & Robin).....but when I look at my bunnies - I see myself more as a "grandmother" than a mother.

Art & I were talking today about what it must feel like to give birth to 11 babies at one time.

Glad I'm not a rabbit.
Ahh that is cute, I'm really happy that even as a breeder you spend so much time with your bunnies, God Lets just hope you don't have 17 grand-kids from Eric and Robin lol!

Oh and any plans to breed Sophia? Since she seems really interested?

paul2641 wrote:
Ahh that is cute, I'm really happy that even as a breeder you spend so much time with your bunnies, God Lets just hope you don't have 17 grand-kids from Eric and Robin lol!

I think your confused Paul. Athena and Sophia are the 2 that just had the babies

paul2641 wrote:

I think your confused Paul. Athena and Sophia are the 2 that just had the babies
I shouldn't be posting at 3 in the morning look what it does to me, And I read that post 2 times, And I still got it mixed up lol!

I'm guessing Paul meant Nyx since she is interested in the babies and yes - she will be bred - but probably in March.

I want to share a quick update about two things.

First of all - Sophia DID nurse her babies during the night. I wasn't sure she would - but they have nice looking tummies.

Secondly - I don't know how she's doing it - but Athena's eleven babies all have HUGE ping pong tummies and they're all getting fed.

I don't think I'm going to take any babies from her to foster onto Sophia - partly because whenever I mess with the babies and then put them back - she puts her nose in there and nudges all of them and I swear she's counting them. (Robin did a baby count at one point early this morning and the next thing she knew the babies were fussing - she looked in and Athena had her nose in the box counting her babies to check on what Robin did).

Anyway - that is a quick update for now.

I have a question for my regular blog readers...I'm going to do a thread in the rabbitry about watching the baby flemmies grow (since a lot of folks don't read blogs but like to see baby pictures) - should I cross-post the videos and stuff here too?

Let me know what you think....

Peg, I think you should cross post! That way we can see everything in one place.

Give the babies kisses for me. Remember how I was reluctant to get a Flemmie because they don't live as long? Well, I think I've conquered that fear. A Flemmie will be in my future! Probably not for a few years though. I want a bedroom Flemmie.

TinysMom wrote:
I have a question for my regular blog readers...I'm going to do a thread in the rabbitry about watching the baby flemmies grow (since a lot of folks don't read blogs but like to see baby pictures) - should I cross-post the videos and stuff here too?

Let me know what you think....
as long as i know where to get my flemmie fix:):bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back