Peg's Place - 2009

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SnowyShiloh wrote:
Peg, I think you should cross post! That way we can see everything in one place.

Give the babies kisses for me. Remember how I was reluctant to get a Flemmie because they don't live as long? Well, I think I've conquered that fear. A Flemmie will be in my future! Probably not for a few years though. I want a bedroom Flemmie.
I am SOOOO glad you conquered that fear. It is so worth it to have a flemmie even if you know it might not live as long as another breed - plus you never know - I think Cathy has one that is 6 or 7 or something and they can beat the odds!

Every day with ALL of my babies is just precious.

Darn you, now I'm feeling the "Gotta Get A Flemish" bug! Not only due to your stories and pictures, but the rescue has a Flemish Giant boy. He wont be put up for adoption though, the founders fell in love. He is a smaller Flemish due to a poor diet early in his life. There is just something different about them! He begs like a dog for pellets, it's so adorable. I agree, you should cross post all the baby stuff in it's own thread so we all can watch them grow!

:thumbup

Happi Bun wrote:
Darn you, now I'm feeling the "Gotta Get A Flemish" bug! Not only due to your stories and pictures, but the rescue has a Flemish Giant boy. He wont be put up for adoption though, the founders fell in love. He is a smaller Flemish due to a poor diet early in his life. There is just something different about them! He begs like a dog for pellets, it's so adorable. I agree, you should cross post all the baby stuff in it's own thread so we all can watch them grow!

:thumbup
Exactly - there is something different about a flemish giant that is hard to explain - but once you have one - you understand.

They're not rabbits exactly...they're kids ... they're puppies....they're gods and goddesses - but they're really a rabbit per se.

I would love one so much, mostly because of you Peg, you make them sound amazing. You do a good job at promoting the breed :highfive:
I also saw some baby Flemish giants for the first time as a poultry sale (people sell pets there too, don't worry :D) and, those ears were so cute! They were flopped out and so chilled, weren't freaked out at all.

Post it all here, I have a hard time getting to the different sections.

Flemmies rule!

Sweetie always seemed to count the baby's too after we looked at them too. Being good mommy's or not trusting their hoomin slaves to put them all back, I don't know.

A short update - more later - I promise.

All 17 are still alive. Sophia's babies ate some but not nearly enough. I'm going to Tractor Supply today to get some stuff for backup in case I can't get Sophia to nurse today - I found a formula by Dana Krempels that I am going to use since Randy said back in November that the puppy formula had been reformulated and was causing problems in rabbits.

More later - I promise - out the door for work soon.

Athena's babies this afternoon....videos later...

[align=center]
IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

look at that tail!
[/align]

I'm leaving in about 5 minutes with Sophia to go to the vet in San Antonio - I think she has either a retained kit or placenta. She's doing ok other than slight fever but she's all over me and wanting me to hold her and baby her.

Thoughts and prayers appreciated.

The "sorta" good news. Sophia really doesn't have milk - they couldn't find a retained kit or placenta after doing an x-ray AND ultrasound....but there was something there that was sort of suspicious. The vet said she can't say for sure that Sophia HAS an infection in her uterus - but she can't say for sure she doesn't have one either - so the decision was made to put her on antibiotics for the next 10 days (9 days plus today).

We're also going to schedule her for a spay - probably in January. She doesn't appear to have mothering instincts...she has a lot of fat around her uterus (one uterine horn was enlarged) and since she is really a beloved pet - we decided it was best to not breed her again.

Mind you - this was why I got out of breeding lionheads in the first place....almost losing a doe I loved.

In addition - we lost two babies today - and we may lose a third one that got hurt really bad when it got out of the nestbox and cage.

I watched Athena to see what she's doing and I'm taking away her nestbox and giving her something taller. Basically - she made her cage in a corner of the nestbox (back corner) and then goes in and digs all of her babies forwards (as if she was digging in the ground) - and feeds them and hopes they go back. Some of them fall out though apparently or crawl out.

That's all for now - more later - I promise.

Oh that is a bummer that Sophia isn't suitable for breeding, Are you planning on getting some new stock, Or keeping the best from this litter?

Latest posts

Back