Peg's Place - 2009

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SweetSassy wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:
Aww there is my Athena. Someday she will be here.

:tantrum: Nooooo....I want Athena.

Lol. :pleaseplease:
Oh my....it is so much fun to argue in threads about who wants what bunny (I want half of Ali's cause I need to leave SOME for her...).

But I think that to be fair....I better let Athena's future be known.

When Athena retires - she will be neutered here and then flown to Connecticut where she will live out the rest of her life at Alicia's. We will be paying all of her expenses - for her neuter and checkup and flight.

Athena is an adorable bunny but in many ways she is a "special needs" bunny. She is not affectionate like so many flemish are (although she does like a lot of pets from time to time).

You really have to get down on her level and on her terms and allow her to be the bunny she is.

In so many ways - she reminds Alicia and I both of her Samantha - that we think Alicia would give her an awesome home.

It isn't that I don't love her and couldn't give her a home here - because I could. But I know from having been at Alicia's place - Athena will be loved and spoiled rotten and cherished and have excellent care for her life.

If we find Athena is a good mother and seems to like it - she will probably have three litters or maybe four at most - then she'll be neutered by age 2. If she doesn't like being a mom or isn't a good mom or doesn't give kits that seem promising - she'll be neutered earlier and then sent on to Alicia whenever they have a spot for her.

I hope y'all understand. Alicia and I talked about this a long time ago - and in the back of my mind for a long time has been the thought that Athena is meant for someone else for her "forever" home.

I completely understand. :) Athenais one of my favorites.:bunnyheartI will still get to see her thru RO. Athena will have a great home with Ali- someday when it's time . :biggrin2:

So from my understanding, You are now completely focused on the flemish giants and have gotten out of the lionheads, Because you had that horrible outbreak?

Question do you still have some of your lionheads as pets, If so I would love some pictures of them,

If not I'd like more pictures of Nyx and Sophia since Athena is getting all the attention lol!

We know you're gonna do the best with these litters that any other breeder could be with them, So no worries just enjoy this new experience of your life while it is still fresh and new, Oh and don't forget keep us as updated as possible.

If you ever need to talk my pm is widely open :pink iris:!

SweetSassy wrote:
I completely understand.  :)  Athena is one of my favorites. :bunnyheart I will still get to see her thru RO. Athena will have a great home with Ali- someday when it's time . :biggrin2:

Why thank you!! Peg should also mention we may be shipping out all her bunnies from here. :D

JadeIcing wrote:
SweetSassy wrote:
I completely understand. :) Athenais one of my favorites.:bunnyheartI will still get to see her thru RO. Athena will have a great home with Ali- someday when it's time . :biggrin2:

Why thank you!! Peg should also mention we may be shipping out all her bunnies from here. :D
Really? The bunnies she retires? or whats the plan? ;)

paul2641 wrote:
So from my understanding, You are now completely focused on the flemish giants and have gotten out of the lionheads, Because you had that horrible outbreak?

Question do you still have some of your lionheads as pets, If so I would love some pictures of them,

If not I'd like more pictures of Nyx and Sophia since Athena is getting all the attention lol!

We know you're gonna do the best with these litters that any other breeder could be with them, So no worries just enjoy this new experience of your life while it is still fresh and new, Oh and don't forget keep us as updated as possible.

If you ever need to talk my pm is widely open :pink iris:!
Hi Paul - I'm on my way out the door to work and want to make this brief because of that - but I will add more information later...

I stopped breeding lionheads quite a while ago (a year maybe? more?). There were several reasons I got out of them - for one thing - I had too many and not enough of a market for them. For another thing - I really disliked most lionhead breeders and the way they treat their animals. There were other things that were involved in that decision too.

All along - my "heart breed" has been flemish giants and if I could have bred them from the beginning - I probably would have. I do love lionheads - don't get me wrong - because they are a really special breed to me. But I just have this "thing" for flemish and sometimes wish I could change my name to "flemmie mama" because I'll always have a flemish in the house if I can.

Part of me has always wanted to get back into breeding and when the decision was made to do so - I would have either had to buy new lionhead stock (because my does were too old for a first litter and I didn't want to breed my prior mamas because they were hitting "retirement" age). Cathy (BlueGiants) recommended Jack Langley to me and I contacted him thinking about getting some flemish in 4-5 months (I had thought I might rehome some of my rabbits that were more "people-friendly" by then)...turns out he had too many flemish and made me a really good deal for them that weekend.

So that is how I got into flemish...and I'm so happy I did. I plan to have no more than 12 that are "active" in my herd and once we get our bunny barn built sometime next year (Lord willing) - I will have more space for them. I will neuter and keep the does as pets or find them good homes by the age of two hopefully - two and a half at the most. I would like them to live out their lives as pets at that point. The bucks I'm still figuring out as they aren't the ones that bear the kits so it isn't as stressful for them.

I have thought about rehoming some of my bucks in order to get my numbers down. I've planned to do so - and tried to prepare myself to do so (does get used to their area and don't take change as well as bucks do).

But - Triad is four or five now - Chaucer and Sting are both over two - and the fact is - when I look at them - they're happy here. Yeah- they don't get what some "pets" get for playtime, etc. But they like their cages and they're happy and the fact is - this is all they've known for most of them. When taken out of their cages they feel uncomfortable and want to go back to their "safe" cages. To rehome them now - feels like it would be cruel - to both them and myself.

So they're going to live out their lives here. Hopefully when the bunny barn is built they can get playtimes and learn to like it...but even if not - they have toys and they have a good life here and we don't mistreat them like some folks might.

I will try to take pictures of some of the lionheads in the next couple of weeks....

Now I better get to work...yuck!

Oh - no babies yet...

SweetSassy wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:
SweetSassy wrote:

Really? The bunnies she retires? or whats the plan? ;)
The bunnies I get from New England will be staying with Ali for a few days before coming here - they'll fly out of the airport near her.

Thats so cool that your getting Bunnies from New England. :)

Edit: Now that you explained, nowI get what Ali was saying. LOl. :foreheadsmack:

:pinkbouce:

SweetSassy wrote:
It isAthena's Due Date! Babies anyday :pinkbouce::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

She is actually out having some playtime right now - but I've put some hay down where she knows where it is.

As soon as she picks it up and carries it in her mouth - she'll go back in her cage for labor & delivery.

Oh, So at the moment you have 4 flemish giants that you are using in a breeding program, Athena, Nyx, Sophia, and Mercury? Athena is due today right?

You got out of the lionheads because they just weren't working!

Well it is good to hear that you're not just casting aside the lionheads in your care at the moment because you're moving onto a new project.

I wish you the best of luck with all the rabbits, Oh and I'll hold you to them lionhead pictures, keep us updated, And try and share some of your knowledge!

paul2641 wrote:
Oh, So at the moment you have 4 flemish giants that you are using in a breeding program, Athena, Nyx, Sophia, and Mercury? Athena is due today right?

You got out of the lionheads because they just weren't working!

Well it is good to hear that you're not just casting aside the lionheads in your care at the moment because you're moving onto a new project.

I wish you the best of luck with all the rabbits, Oh and I'll hold you to them lionhead pictures, keep us updated, And try and share some of your knowledge!
I also have Hermes - my fifth flemish giant.

I got out of the lionheads for several reasons - and when I decided that I missed breeding - the best choices for the rabbits was to buy new stock in whatever breed I decided to go with. My experienced mamas were too old (in my opinion) to be having more litters and my inexperienced does were too old for a first litter and have it be an easy time.

I would never just cast aside any animal because I'm moving to a new project. I have this real issue with people who are always "trading bunnies" and I don't do that. When I had these lionheads - I considered it a lifetime commitment - unless I found better homes for them. Many breeders will rehome older retiring animals and there is nothing wrong with that - but in my case - I can't bring myself to do it. Most of my lionheads are two years old and older and this is all they've ever known.

I have no problem breeding an animal and letting it go to a home at a younger age - but by the time they reach the age these are (two and older) - I feel it is unfair to expect them to just transition to a new home.

I love your flemish but I would love to see your lionheads too. :biggrin2:

A couple pages back I remember seeing I think brothers, White, with black, playing outside. Not lionheads. They were really cute! :)I think you rescued them.

Those two are brothers - Dallas and Austin and they're Californians.

I rescued their mom and dad from the feed store.....had them in NIC cages till Gracie literally broke down the NIC cage to get to George.

Needless to say - she had babies. I still have Mercedes, their sister - but the other two sisters passed away suddenly this summer - we have no idea why.

SweetSassy wrote:
I think Hermes is my fave male! He is so handsome!! :inlove:

What is he like? affectionate?

DSCF1125.jpg
Hermes is....well - I'm trying to figure out how to explain him.

He's not affectionate - although he WANTS to be affectionate.

He is the most "baby-like" of the flemish giants - but then again - other than Nyx - he IS the baby of them.

He loves to run and binky and he especially enjoys going up to Mercury's cage and teasing him through the bars. When he has his playtime - he digs at any papers he can find and makes as much noise as is possible.

I guess that the best way to describe Hermes is that he is the one who is most likely to show JOY in being a rabbit and just enjoying his life.

Part of why he is not affectionate though is because he's had an abscess on his back that has come back twice and has to be drained (it came from a scuffle with a cat). So he sees me as the "meany" because I'm the one who usually takes him out of his cage and drains it. That means he usually tries to hide in the back of his cage.

HOWEVER - I've been working with him to overcome this. Now I go to his cage a few times per day and pull him forward (if need be) and spend time just petting him. At treat time - I make him accept pets for his treats.

Now - when he sees me enter the rabbitry - he doesn't run to the back of his cage anymore. Sometimes he'll hesitate and go to the back - other times he'll stick his nose to the door and ask for pets.

So....is he affectionate? Not really that much right now....but he shows signs of becoming affectionate.

Awww:bunnyheart I was showing my husband your bunnies tonight. He thought they were beautiful. I told him I wanted to go to Texas to get one. He said "TEXAS"! LOl.

Right now isn't a good time for us to get another bunny but when it is, I would love to have a flemish...... perferrably one of yours. ;) You are so great with your rabbits :)

Edit: I was gonna ask, did Hermes sore heal up yet? or are you still draining it?

Latest posts

Back