Pebble is a bit off colour

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michaela

Reaction score
My Pebble won't eat anything, not hay, grass, veggies, pellets, not even treats. She is drinking water though, quite readily. I've heard her stomach gurgle a bit too. I have never ever has an issue like this with a rabbit before, so as you can imagine I'm nervous. She hasn't pooped in the lasted few hours either (I can't tell exactly when as I she's only been separated from Ebony for a few hours).

I'm allowed to keep her in my room for the night, in Maddie's old cage. I'm suspecting gas, agree? I can't get anywhere to get the baby gas stuff tonight, but I'll get some tomorrow, it's called Infacol? Something like that? She's been getting regular tummy massages, and she seems to be enjoying them, but she is being quite lethargic. I've been trying to force her to move about a bit, and she will for a while but wants to lay down again, and she's been pushing her stomach against the ground which is a sign of gas.

I have an enormous amount of homework that I haven't even started on, so I can't stay on here for long, I'll check in half an hour or so for comments. All I want is reassurance really, to make sure I'm doing the right things. Thanks.

Oh honey, sorry, you are going through this, and poor Pebble. I've never had a bun with gas, but that is what it sounds like. Let's see what others have to say.

Good Luck!;)

Thanks for the reply Crystal. :hug:

Another thing, she is going through quite a heavy moult right now, but that's normal for her (wish Ebony would hurry up and moult, and lose all her silly brown fur :p).

But ingesting too much fur can cause a blockage, yes? Is pineapple supposed to help with that? Is it Pumpkin maybe? I haven't got energy for this right now, gah they pick the worst times to get sick. :(

Yep, sounds good! Sounds like gas to me! Jordi just had a bout with gas. In the past we've been lucky that it goes away with massages and movement. Gotta chase her around a bit.

Make sure she has water in your room too, it's important that she stay hydrated.

A warm rice sock helps them feel comfortable too.

You just need a gas medicine that has simithecone.

Oh Hon i'm sorry its horrid when you haven't dealt with it before at least you have this forum though:D

It is infacol that you need to get over here, its where the baby stuff is in the chemist, also get some nice veggie baby food in case you need to syringe feed, sometimes i find mine will take it off a spoon. Do you have a rich tea or digestive biscuit in the house ? i know it sounds a bit random but i usually find they are hard for a bun to resist and at least it gets something into their system.

Keep us posted:)
Edit to add: yes pineapple helps but it is better to be pure and not from concentrate

Thanks Steph.:hug:

Yes she's got a nice big bowl of fresh water, which she is drinking regularly, thank God for that at least.I will try the rice sock, thanks, that's a good idea! :)

Thanks Polly! :D

I thought it was called that here, just had to make sure, I'll get my mum to pick some of that, and some baby food up from the chemist tomorrow when I'm at school. K I'll try and get her to eat a bit of a biccie, I'm sure we'll have some somewhere. Yeah thought that about pineapple, but I don't have any anyway, not that she'd eat it - she's so fussy at the best of times. :?

Michaela it might be a good idea to ask your vet for some critical care its a powder that you can add to water it is a liquid food for emergencies if a bun isn't eating if your vet can't give you it (it should be easy enough) you can get it at www.vetark.co.uk

I always keep this on hand and if i think a rabbits off colour i put it in their water. But so far since i started using the entracare i haven't had a problem

Oh no Michaela - I'm sorry to here Pebble isn't well.:(It does sound like gas - if I were you I would keep her moving and give frequent tummy rubs to help break up the gas. Also if she still isn't eating in a few hours syringe feed her some mushed up pellets to keep her guts ticking over. Thinking of you Michaela.:hug:

Michaela, you can refer to my page about Bo recently. He's just been through that same thing. I held him on my chest and leaned back a bit in my recliner. Then I wrapped my hands around him like I would pick him straight up, and used my thumbs to gently massage his tummy. HE LOVED THAT! I got kisses!

I gave him a ton of hay and no feed, simethicone, and lots of water!

I hope she gets all better soon!

Hi Michaela, sorry to here Pebbles is under the weather. I've given Buttercup pumpkin when he's not feeling 100% and plainyogurt (I know alot of people on here don't agree with yogurt but a vet told me to use it and it works wonders for the babies).

I've also heard to put a electric tooth brush (minus the tooth brush part) near their tummies as it kinda messages their tummies as it vibrates.

Hope she is feeling better real soon.

Susan:sickbunny:

If you can't get her the medicine, just keep giving her the tummy massages frequently. I also like to use a vibrating toothbrush. It helped tons when Roxie had gas.
She also needs to excersise. I would block off a room and stay with her in there. I know that when Roxie had gas, all she wanted to do was lie down. You might have to chase her a bit just to get her moving.

It's a good thing she is drinking water. She is lucky to have a mommy like you. :bunny24

Megan

Pebble hadn't ate still or went to the toilet when I got up, I had to go to school. My mum took her to the vet, they said it was a "stomach upset" whcih sounds so stupid to me. They gave her oral medication, isn't that bad? I don't know what to do, she's all floppy now, she can barely move, still hasn't ate a thing, I think I'm losing her. Please help me.

Can you put some canned pumpkin in her mouth and get her to eat it? and maybe do some tummy rubs?

monklover wrote:
What kind of oral medication did they give? Did you see what ingriedients were in it? It should be simethicone.

Yep, unless they gave her a gut mobility drug:ponder:, which would make sense, but she still needs the simethicone.

Keep us posted hon. You and Pebble are in my thoughts.

No hansnt poped, hasn't ate, stupid vet hassn;t a clue about rabbits, mum said the thing he gave her was to make her poo, I wanst there. Shes going to die, I know she is. Getting some Infacol now

Latest posts

Back