Opinions wanted/ Apt Rental

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my apartment, they are allowed to evict someone for not keeping their apartment clean. But they are specific that they don't care about clutter, just cleanliness. The reason they give for that is insect or rodent attraction, which could potentially cost them a lot of money to correct.

I used to keep a small outdoor trash bin on my deck, for when I cleaned litter boxes. Then, we got a note on our door that we had to remove all trash receptacles, as trash could attract insects. They didn't care that it was for litter, they just wanted it off the deck. So now we keep it in the bathtub in the spare bathroom.

I think the landlord/handyman did violate your lease agreement, by not notifying you 24 hours ahead of time before entering. Although, at my apartment, they just put a flyer up by my mailbox indicating that they will be entering the apartments for maintenance (change filters or test smoke detectors, etc.) and they give a 6-week window, and the maintenance can occur at any time. Also, if I were to report an issue or needed repair, once they record my request, they have the right to enter my apartment at any time to do the repair. That's just how my lease is written.

I will say, that when I see one of those flyers go up about regular maintenance, I make an extra effort to keep things tidy. For example, I don't always vacuum as often as I should, so sometimes there is a lot of stray hay and some poops in the living room near the pen. But until I know the work has been completed, I will vacuum every couple days. I don't think it's any sort of health violation or problem, but it looks bad to someone who doesn't live there.
It may be true that I shouldn't have to do that. But I would rather do that than have to deal with the landlord hassling me, and face possible eviction.

From your pictures, it mostly looks like clutter to me, which they really have no business complaining about.
A couple things I would suggest that if you know the handyman is going to be in (which you should be notified of), make sure you keep the dishes clean and the sink and counters clear. (My leasing agent said if they suspect an apartment is "unclean," they usually look at the kitchen. Dirty dishes, food splatters on the stove, etc. could potentially attract insects. (I'm not saying your place is that bad, please don't take it the wrong way. It's just that that's one thing they might look specifically at.) I would also second the suggestions about making sure the carpet is protected from urine, and make sure it's obvious.

Heh if a handyman came in my house he'd see dishes in my sink all the time. Errik works graveshift so we eat dinner when he gets home at 8am and I don't do the dishes until Micah goes to sleep at night.

I just finished a debacle with my ex-landlords about my security deposit... I won most of my security deposit back, but they were able to lie their way into $60 of it. A paltry sum for the effort they put into their lies. In any case, they took pictures (when the whole household was sick and working full time, with no time to clean) so the place was cluttered and a bit dirty, and threatened to send them to the Rentalsmen, without out permission. At the hearing with the Rentalsmen, when they were trying to say we left the place "dirty beyond cleaning" they did not bring out the pictures, which is probably because they were ILLEGAL.

Carpets have to be replaced every 3-4 years I think, so even if she tries to make you pay for them when you move out, the Rentalsmen will probably side with you if it comes to a hearing. If you're worried, store the clutter (although our kitchen table is nothing but clutter and our landlords have no problems with it... Our handyman is such a sweet old man too)

I've become very well versed with the law on renter's rights, if you want to PM me or go out for coffee some time... I can also ask any specific questions to my landlords about things, and they'll be happy to answer (like the frequency of carpets being replaced)

Just for reference, the crappy apartments I used to be at were Fairhaven Gardens, run by Mainstreet. I will never ever ever again give my money to Mainstreet again, they are liars and thieves, and they also suck at being landlords. There were things in that apartment that *never* got fixed. The place we're at now, is run by Boardwalk apartments, and even though it states in their handbook that they do not allow rabbits in their apartments, our landlords are letting us have Ophelia here, without paying a damage deposit either.

Sorry for the rant! I'll be PMing you!

I used to work with someone who was charged $100 "cleaning fee" when he left his last apartment. He said his wife spent two entire days cleaning and scrubbing the place, there was no way it could be dirty. A couple weeks after moving out, he went back to visit his former neighbor, and discovered that his old apartment had been completely gutted, and was being re-done inside. (So there was never intention of re-cleaning it.) He talked to a lawyer, who told him that the cleaning fee was in the lease agreement, and there was no way he could get that money back.

Just pay attention to, and follow, the lease agreement.
Likewise, make sure your landlord is following the lease and the law.

The carpets were new when we moved in. So I guess it's time for them to change them out after we leave but I bet that wont happen. When they are here to fix anything or do the reno's they are days when they leave there own mess and Guess who gets to clean up after them? ME.

When Jim the handman did his work in the bathroom after the new tubsurrowed was put in he made a comment to Gloria the caretaker he had to crape poop off the floor before he could begin work. Even if this was true he could of had either one of us do it as we were both home. But the kicker is when he was done he left shvings fromt he wall on the floor and in the tub and he left mud for the walls on the floor. I emailed Gloria the photos' I had taken but she honesly i don't think she cared. So it's ok for him to come in and work and leave a mess but not ok for me to live her and have the apt pretty clean.

The handyman at our building does sometimes leave a mess after being in. *shrug* At least my sink got fixed, and cleaning up afterwards is a small price to pay to be able to use the bathroom sink.

I guess I don't have much else to add, except that maybe straightening up the apartment for a short time, until the caretaker is done with whatever he's doing, might be easier for you in the long run that trying to go through litigation over it.

We are offically on a cleaning day! We vacummed the living room then tore apart the old desk and took it to the dumpsters since it wasn't beeing used and taking up space, then I cleaned the carpets. Next I did my room moved the rabbits into there cage in the living room the vacummed my room then cleaned the carpet. I never relized that my room smelled like rabbit pee untill today so i gathered the blankets so they can be washed tonight. My sister just finished vacumming her room then we'll do the carpet.

I moved my green storahe bins onto the wall next to the dishwasher so it's out of the way so there out of the way and moved the white one that was on the living room floor ontop so it's out of the way.

I'll take pics once everything is done then you can tell me if I missed something.

Here's the updated Photo's.

Kitchen

Kitchen2.jpg
Kitchen3.jpg

Living Room

Ktchen4.jpg
LivingRoom3.jpg

My Room/Bunny Room

MyRoom3.jpg

Sister's Room

SisRoom.jpg

Does it look much better than the before pics? Can see the changes I made to the Kitchen?

Mrs. PBJ wrote:
Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears wrote:
Well that was a waste of time we just got an evection notice. Have to be out in 15 days:(

What is the reason why. They have to have a good reason.

Depends on the laws and the rental agreement. Laws vary state to state in the US, but the poster lives in Canada.

We own rental houses and rent them under month to month tenancy agreements. In PA only 15 days notice is required in writing by either tenant or landlord - no reason is necessary to terminate the tenancy. I just gave notice to one of our tenants yesterday to vacate in 15 days.

Pam

Well for now we are packing up and gonna move back to the parents place untill we can find somewhere else to live. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to move to a near by town where I can transfer to the McD's there possibly move up to a manger. I have a friend alreay there who I worked with in town. I'm hoping if this is something we do, we might be able to find a house to bye then we can have all the bunnies we want! And I get my other 2 back!

As of right now I have to keep the 2 here with me as I'm afraid Monsters wont do well over at mom and dad's with just Fluffy. I know she needs the human interaction and she wont get much of that over there, not that my mom doesn't love her but it wont be the same.

Ok so here's the deal. We had our hearing for the eviction on Monday and got notice today that we WON!! Woo Hoo well thats what I thought. Before I got to see this letter saying we won my sister called and said we notice of eviction and we had to out on May 28th WTF??? When I got home I checked the mail and the hearing notice was there and it said we won.

So how can the evicted us if they lost there case???

I'm just so happy that we won :)

Latest posts

Back