Opinions wanted/ Apt Rental

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been living in this apartment for a few years now and since the caretaker appointed a handyman, there has been numerous complaints about us. Some of them granted were a problem and were cleaned up immediately.

There has been renovation going on for some time now so the handyman has been in and out of our apartment and has made complaints to the caretaker about the state of the apt. He made one where he had to scrape bunny poo off the bathroom floor before he could work, which is bullsh*t 'cause we were both home that day and he didn't say anything to us, but after he was done he left a mess.

They have also complained of how our kitchen table not being used as a kitchen table not being used as a kitchen table, the dishwasher in the middle of the kitchen, the dishware was on and doing it's job, the computer table being messy.

Today she stopped by and was took photo's without permission, and did more complaining.

I just wondering if there is anything I can do?

I have photo's uploading to give u an idea of what the place looks like

Ok here's the General Principles of The Residential Tenancies Act, 2006

Parties cannot agree that the Act, parts thereof or benefits doapply. Parts of such agreements that contradict the Act are not enforceable.

[*]The common law of contract applies to the relationship between the parties.
[*]A landlord cannot seize the property of a tenant under any circumstance.
[*]The rental agreement is in force even if the tenant does not take possession on the commencement date.
[*]A tenant should pay rent even if there are problems with the rental property or agreement.
[*]A landlord cannot stop providing any services or facilities, or start charging fees for them, unless the Office of Residential Tenancies provides them with an Order allowing them to do so.
[*]A tenant has the right to privacy and no unreasonable disturbance from the landlord or other tenants.
[*]Neither the landlord nor tenant can change the locking systems without the other's permission.
[*]Landlords and tenants must maintain the property in a state of proper cleanliness, and repair and comply with health and safety laws.
[*]A tenant can only assign or sublet the rental unit under a fixed term lease with the permission of the landlord, which cannot be unreasonably withheld. The tenant still remains liable for any losses or damages for the balance of the term.
[*]A landlord who does not live in Saskatchewan must appoint an attorney (Form 1 - Power of Attorney - Non-resident Landlord) in the province for the purpose of service of notices. The attorney can be any adult, residing in Saskatchewan.
[*]A landlord can make an application for an order to dispose of abandoned property (Form 2 - Application to Dispose of Abandoned Property) after they have tried to get the tenant to retrieve their property or the tenant cannot be found. The landlord may deduct the costs of disposal and any amounts they think owing to them.
[*]A landlord cannot interfere with the sale of a mobile home.
The bold ones are the ones that are the problem. She stops by when she wants. Today she came by to take photo's of "what need to be fixed". But took photo's of other things that had nothing to with "what need to be fixed".

Do you really think that a few bunny poop's or some dirty dishes or apee stain is a problem with the cleanliness or replair to the apartment?? I don't think so.

My parents are PISSED off about the caretaker. My dad is going to email her and find out the heck she is doing. I'm sappose to call a few people and make a complaint and find out if there is anything I can do.

I dont understand if it is the samething here, are you renting, with a signed lease and paying rent and utilities? I dont see what right a landlord has to complain about the state of your desk? for the love of god if i rented my house i would surely be banned from PA with the state my desk is in,lol. How it works here is that the landlord has to give 24 hours notice before being able to come into the apartment, and they cant just let themselves in i think. I wouldnt think there would be anything to worry about as long as you are within the terms of your agreement as far as animals and maintenece i dont see that there would be a legitamate complaint

save the pictures that you have taken and make sure that they are dated. i dont think that its in horrid condition, and with them taking their own pictures without your consent means they are already in the wrong. and you said that you had lived there for awhile already, so why all the complaints now. i would get in contact with some sort of rental advocacy that help people like you, the sooner the better and get all this documented because i think they have gone too far. that way you will have people on your behalf contacting them and putting them in their place.

good luck

If she wanted to go to your house she needed to give you a 24 hour notice or else you were aloud to not let her in and she couldn't do anythign about it.

This is my very honest opinion, not meant to hurt you in any way.

If I were renting to someone who had incontinent animals that are prone to accidents(such as bunnies ;) ), I would have severe concerns about the state of my carpet... As such, many people chose not to rent to those with pets.

I rent, and the homeowner is very gracious in allowing me to keep my pets. In return, I have housed them in a section of the house that is bare wood. If there was no bare wood or linoleum available, I would have a tarp under their enclosed area to collect feces and urine (which could possibly be considered a health and safety liability to future renters).

(I have been in places where there is animal urine in the rugs, and it is horrendous. I know you are trying to clean it up, but the smell does linger, especially in areas with poor ventilation. Very expensive to replace peed-in carpet)

It is my opinion that she is concerned about the fixtures of the apartment.
How long have you been there? If your animals are there illegally, they may be attempting to gather evidence of damage. However, as long as you are receiving 24 hours notice before entry, she is following the guidelines.

What can you do?

While I don't understand why clutter on the table is a big deal to her, it would probably be easiest to simply keep the place well organized for the time being, to lower her interest in you.

If you keep the rabbits off the carpets (on linoleum or on a tarp over the carpet), and show that you are making strong efforts to save her carpets, I would expect that she will be satisfied.

If you have taken all proper precautions, and they continue to intrude, then you have a stronger case.

Just my $0.02...

I have 2 numbers to call tomorrow and make a formal complaitment. My dad emailed her, here's what he has to say.

Gloria, Rebecca says you were in their apartment today for some reason. You apparently complained about the dishwasher, floor mats,kitchen table and the bins she has. She is very upset so I thought I would remind you that you cannot enter their apartment according to the Rentalsman's act without 24 hours written notice. From what I have heard any of the inspections you have done have almost always been done without written notice. Also what they do with their dishwasher, floor mats, bins or kitchen table has absolutely nothing to do with the rental of the apartment. This is a couple of times now I have heard of complaints about the kitchen table. What is done withtheir table or dishwasher has absolutely nothing to do with the rental of the apartment, what they store or do with the table has nothing to do with the rental of the apartment. She would appreciate it if you keep your comments about what they do to their property to yourself. If you want to inspect the property they have no problem with you inspecting it providing you give them 24 hour notice. As for the warning you said you were going to give her, I do not think you have the right since you did not give them any written inspection notice. Also it should be noted that since your handyman is exactly that he has no say in how the apartment is kept and if you are going to use him for inspections and believe everything he tells you then you had better provide written notice that he is coming to inspect the apartment on your behalf, otherwise he is to keep his opinions to himself, as he is not the landlord nor his agent. As in every case Gloria there are two sides to every story and if you do not get their side to the story then you are not doing your job correctly. For instance if they complain that one of their neighbors is playing their stereo too loud do you take their word for it or do you check with the other party to get their side of the story? Last time you and I emailed was when the twins were having sewer problems and you complained about dirty water and dishes in the sink. You immediately got on their case for this forgetting entirely why you were in the apartment in the first place, which was to clean out the sewer because it had become plugged. And you cannot tell them where they can part their dishwasher when it is full or empty, nor anything else in their apartment. If they want to move a bed into the living room there is nothing you can do about it. If you want to view the Rentalsman Act it is online here
http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/reho/yogureho/fash/fash_012.cfm]http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/reho/yogureho/fash/fash_012.cfm[/url] I would suggest you read it before you start writing them up for anything or they will refuse access to your handyman without 24 hours notice if he is going to act on your behalf. Otherwise tell him to keep his opinions to himself. If you want to inspect the apartment then give the 24 hours notice and if he wants to inspect the bathroom what the other rooms in the house look like has absolutely nothing to do with him since he is a handyman . When he becomes a professional of some kind on doing inspections then he has to give notice like you do. I am sure that you will find the girls very cooperative with you if you follow the letter of the law the way you want them to. You respect them and they will respect you. Do not bully them!!

I do not normally get involved in their business but this sure sounds like a case of bullying so I thought I would write and express my opinion.

I would promote you to have all animal-related damage cleaned throughly and preventative measures in place before calling the authorities. You don't really want to give them ammo against your case.

Hope this is worked out easily... litigation is a frustrating process :(

NorthernAutumn wrote:
This is my very honest opinion, not meant to hurt you in any way.

If I were renting to someone who had incontinent animals that are prone to accidents(such as bunnies ;) ), I would have severe concerns about the state of my carpet... As such, many people chose not to rent to those with pets.

I rent, and the homeowner is very gracious in allowing me to keep my pets. In return, I have housed them in a section of the house that is bare wood. If there was no bare wood or linoleum available, I would have a tarp under their enclosed area to collect feces and urine (which could possibly be considered a health and safety liability to future renters).

(I have been in places where there is animal urine in the rugs, and it is horrendous. I know you are trying to clean it up, but the smell does linger, especially in areas with poor ventilation. Very expensive to replace peed-in carpet)

It is my opinion that she is concerned about the fixtures of the apartment.
How long have you been there? If your animals are there illegally, they may be attempting to gather evidence of damage. However, as long as you are receiving 24 hours notice before entry, she is following the guidelines.
We have been here for about 3 to 4 years. The Bunnies are alowed here and she knows they are here. I have 2 carpet cleaners and i'm pretty good at about cleaning up any pee. The only time she gives 24hr notice if there is any work to be done in the apt. If she just wants to look over what was done she just show's up.
What can you do?

While I don't understand why clutter on the table is a big deal to her, it would probably be easiest to simply keep the place well organized for the time being, to lower her interest in you.
Why should I have to keep the table clean of clutter? It's not harming anyone. We try to keep pretty good but we just never had the erge to keep the place NEAT.
If you keep the rabbits off the carpets (on linoleum or on a tarp over the carpet), and show that you are making strong efforts to save her carpets, I would expect that she will be satisfied.
The only place there is linoluem is the kitchen and bathroom. The buns are mostly in my room and I put down mats and blankets over top, so if they pee it's not on the floor.
If you have taken all proper precautions, and they continue to intrude, then you have a stronger case.

Just my $0.02...
Thanx for you input.

NorthernAutumn wrote:
I would promote you to have all animal-related damage cleaned throughly and preventative measures in place before calling the authorities. You don't really want to give them ammo against your case.

Hope this is worked out easily... litigation is a frustrating process :(
The people i'm to call are the Rental board and ombudsman and make a formal complaint. I have cleaned the carpets today and will do it again tomorrow.

Not to be rude but if I was the homeowner i`d be scared for the carpets. We rent but when we do we makesure theres no carpet because little accidents with Sparky. Not only does the pee ruin the carpet and would need to get changed before the next tenant which is more money for the homeowner but it ruins the floor boards..

After 3-4 years of you living there any decent landlord would just replace the carpet anyway so I don't see why she would care too much at this point.

ETA: After you move out I mean.

^^^ For that reason, you might want to consider tarping over the carpeted area the rabbits are on.

I know it sounds like an annoying little thing, but it would probably go a long way to improving the relationship with the lady.

Yes. I agree. She must follow the 24 hour guidelines, no doubt about it.

Apt. damage is a different issue that might be causing conflict.

IMO, we tenants ought to take necessary precautions to prevent damage (rather than letting damage occur, then cleaning up).

Anyway, it sure improves my relationship with my landlord :)

I know this sounds weird but could you buy like under the bed storage bens. Personal that house is dirty to me but I am OCD about cleanlyness. Most people walk in my house and ask how do I keep it so clean.

So to the average jo that is a normal house. I would buy some under the bed storage bens. Some extra ben for your closet. The pet stains if you paid a pet deposit cover those its not like your house is covered with pet stains like some I have seen personal pet is not the problem clutter would be my issue. Note OCD issue again

I dont even see pet stains. Your land lord has no right tocome in your place like that. Hope you can get it fixed

Latest posts

Back