OMG, neutering using rubber bands???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
paul2641 wrote:
You would think something like this would be illegal?
What? Using rubber bands?

I believe it isn't considered to be cruelty or torture because it is only a short-term discomfort, and it is used to better the animal's health and life. They may only have short lives, but they need to prevent unwanted breeding. Also, I believe they dock tails on sheep to keep the feces from matting to it. I was told that they do it to prevent fly strike on the matted tails.

BoB and k, I visited my uncle's farm in the 60's and his housemaid used to grab the excess kitties from the farm cats and drown 'em in pails of water. Never forget it when she wanted to show us. Makes a lasting impression. Then the neighbor teen who used to break the legs on frogs and use them as jackknife throwing practice.

TreasuredFriend wrote:
BoB and k, I visited my uncle's farm in the 60's and his housemaid used to grab the excess kitties from the farm cats and drown 'em in pails of water. Never forget it when she wanted to show us. Makes a lasting impression. Then the neighbor teen who used to break the legs on frogs and use them as jackknife throwing practice.
My grandma's Mom (they lived in Finland) drowned the excess kittens in the river. :(

I definitely think using a rubber band to neuter a rabbit is wrong, especially considering their are better ways. I don't like the fact it's done to farm animals but it seems in that situation its a necessary evil. I know with farm animals it's far more complex than just tossing any old rubber band on though.

Oh those things are awful ..... Let's not talk about that stuff anymore. It really makes me so sick.

my grandpa used to do this for goats too, i thought it was wrong then, no wonder our billy oats were always mean! our nanny goats were always sweet ho.

it really is a barbaric way of doing things,especially since nowadays there are so muchcleaner, safer and less painfulways of doing it,

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Farming - being around farmers like my grandpa - you see/learn things sometimes you don't want to....... Mom used to have to get the "chickens for dinner".....

I've been chased by a big bull.

I've seen kittens stand around and wait for Grandpa to squirt milk from the cow to them... That's so cute!

Some things made me tough, others made me a big softy.
Awwww! The kitten story just warmed my heart! And yeah, my mom used to have to 'get' the chickens for dinner too.

I still can't wrap my mind around that poor little bunny getting his 'nards tied off. From everything men tell me that is a very sensitive area. Not like a mole or an extra finger.

A tiny bit off subject, but still inhumane, in my opinion...

I talked with a woman who is considering having her schnauzer puppy's ears done (cropped). The tail is already done, but that is done within the first two to three days of life. Ears, on the other hand, are done when the puppy has enough weight to be put out for the surgery. Personally, I don't believe it would be much different than having one's own ear sliced to bits in hopes that it fits the "standard" look. I told her that vets no longer want to perform such proceedures, or charge large fees for it, because they would perfer not to do it either because it is inhumane.Besides, the "natural" look is becoming more acceptable in dogs.

myheart

Here in Australia, its illegal to dock tails or crop ears for cosmetic reasons, which is also the case in a lot of countries and a really good thing I believe. It's really quite strange seeing some breeds with their tails on, we've gotten so used to the docked effect, which is terrible when you think about it. My mum has a 9 year old Pembroke Welsh corgi who predates the ban by a few years, so it's odd for me seeing corgis with tails after being so used to seeing him.

I also don't think it is illegal to castrate live stock using bands. From what I remember, they use very strong rubber bands and there is a special tool that stretches out the rubber band, then you slip the *goolies* in there, then you release the lock and the rubber band closes tightly around the *googlies*. Besides, a lot of ranchers can't possibly bring in hundreds of cattle to be neutered through a quick ground surgery.

I've heard of it being done in rabbits, cats, too. Cats are easy to neuter as they don't require stitches. Heh actually back in his farm boy days before vet school, Dad stuck them in a boot and snipped them that way. They hollered like heck, apparently.

At any rate, it's not advisable to perform in rabbits, but I've heard of it done before.

If it was here in Wi (even if we are rural where I am)I think that that this would be deemed a animal cruelty case. I work along with animal control at the shelter and I know that this could not be done to a pet by a person with no knowledge whatsoever.

Were I grew up in Oconomowoc, there are some farms up the highway from where our house was. Some farmers out there did the "slice & spit" technique on sheep. Has anyone seen the sheep sterilizing episode of "Dirty Jobs" with Mike Rowe?

Buneary49 wrote:
That's like making loped ear bunny look like brothers ears stright up.

I say leave well enough alone.

I completely agree!

I know people do this ear thing with a few breeds... and my dog had a longer tail stub for an australian shepherd until the breeders (my neighbors) had it docked. We love her nub but I would have loved it regardless!

I love dobermans with long ears! :hearts:

I ALSO love doberman with long ears.

I knew that this type of stuff was done on farms butI didn't think that you could do it to a pet without anesthesia..

isn't that cruelty ???

If they keep doing harm to god's creatures than god is going raise cane.

one time ago at the phoenix zoo at 1am in the morning some totaly lame jerk off idoits broke in the rabbit habbit and killed half the rabbits grabbing them by the ears slaming them agaist the wall and breaking the thier backs:bigtears:

I wish I was there kicking thier butts:cry4:

People like that are just a waste of our oxygen is my thought!

I have never understood how anyone could be mean to a bunny!!!

Even when my son has to sell a sheep I cry. I got so attached to the one who had to go to the vet that it made me so sick when he left! His name was Vanilla and I took him to the vet in a dog crate in my van! LOL! The vet didn't open for a while and I had to drive around with him in the van for about an hour.... "BaaaaBAAAA!" BOY was he stinky! (Sheep smell really bad!) but during that time I really fell in love with the little guy.

We'll probably never sell our goat. She's my girl. She stands on her back legs and threatens to butt me from inside her stall! She's so funny!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
BOY was he stinky! (Sheep smell really bad!) but during that time I really fell in love with the little guy.
Off topic: Are sheep really as stupid as a lot of people make them out to be? My veterinary science teacher in high school owned a sheep farm with her family, and she said that sheep are the dumbest animals that she knows of.

I've also known a woman to say that horses were the dumbest animals alive. I KNOW that one isn't true! She swears to it and owned horses for 30+ years.
I want a goat. Do you think Will would notice one if I hid it in our apartment? :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back