OMG, neutering using rubber bands???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 7568

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with a lady who has a rabbit and she is going to neuter it by putting rubber bands on his testicles! :shock::shock::shock: She says they take about 3 days to fall off and then all is fine. CAN THIS POSSIBLY BE SAFE? It sounds very very painful to me!

IT NOT SAFE AT ALL,

it a very painful thing to do a rabbit and that poor rabbit will scream bloody murder.

Illegals do this to thier dogs, Trust me a vet is the way to go in having this done.

I kick some one in where it counts to do very very cruel thing to a innocent rabbits.

A few years ago when my Dad bought me two twin brother goats, the breeder did this to them. I was younger and didn't think anything wrong of it....but I guess it is something very common. If I was smarter, I would have said "No!" to such a thing.

I would call that lady back and provide her on information WHY rubber banding is not a good way to neuter an animal. I am sure there are websites out there that explain why.

Never heard of it with Rabbits but we actually castrate lambs with castration bands. They are smaller and thicker than a rubberband and we have to use a special tool to put them on. I can't imagine a rabbit handling the initial pain well. Lambs tend to cry a bit and then lay down - after a while they are numb but for about 10 minutes they are not happy.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Never heard of it with Rabbits but we actually castrate lambs with castration bands. They are smaller and thicker than a rubberband and we have to use a special tool to put them on. I can't imagine a rabbit handling the initial pain well. Lambs tend to cry a bit and then lay down - after a while they are numb but for about 10 minutes they are not happy.

I remember my goats flinching, crying, then passed out asleep after just a little bit.

Yes, just because one CAN ACCOMPLISH it this way does not make it a good idea!

Buneary49 wrote:
2. it cause Ganguring and serious infections

This wasn't the case with my goats. Their *goolies* shriveled up and fell off in a few days.

I just don't think it is right to do it to rabbits, who have sensitive skin in the first place.

personal opinion: It's a cruel thing to ignore/disregard pain in any living creature. Why are humans in today's society neglectful, and feel it's A-okay to think, so what, just another living, breathing body. Cheapest and easiest, and who cares if the "creature" is flinching and crying.

I'll never understand, :twocents

:tears2: Reminds me of the woman who put sick rabbits on dry ice to die.

news item heard tonight, dog found outside frozen in backyard...

I perfer to take my buneary to a good vet to have it done.

the poor rabbit's health is danger from having rubberbands on there.

pain, shock, and other problems, not to mention it's cruel and very inhumane and very insane act.

doing that to a rabbit is not showing any kindness or love.

I've heard of people doing this with livestock, but not with house pets. I believe they use rubber bands on some dogs to dock their tails, though. They do use rubber bands to remove extra fingers from humans, as well. If a child is born with polydactyly (pronounced pah-lee-dak-til-lee), they can use a rubber band to remove the extra digit sometimes. The only kind that I know they use this for is an extra "thumb" branchin off of the first thumb. Young organisms don't remember pain when they are little, so it's best to do these things when they are younger, like almost newborns. They don't castrate baby sheep/goats that early, though.

kherrmann3 wrote:
I've heard of people doing this with livestock, but not with house pets. I believe they use rubber bands on some dogs to dock their tails, though. They do use rubber bands to remove extra fingers from humans, as well. If a child is born with polydactyly (pronounced pah-lee-dak-til-lee), they can use a rubber band to remove the extra digit sometimes. The only kind that I know they use this for is an extra "thumb" branchin off of the first thumb. Young organisms don't remember pain when they are little, so it's best to do these things when they are younger, like almost newborns. They don't castrate baby sheep/goats that early, though.
But to a inoccent rabbit, it's sick and cruel and very inhumane .

Unfortunately with livestock like sheep, goats, cattle - they do things in the most humane - but cost effective way. HOWEVER, I had an older lamb who was done that way by the people we bought him from and his castration band didn't work right. We ended up taking him to the vet and having it all fixed up. He was for 4H tho..... it wasn't about money for that --- it's about the show/project.

Also, they do that with Sheep tails too.

It's not something I like. It's not the best method for the animal. I would never do it to a bunny. Can you imagine? OMG Tony would scream! he screamed when he was tattooed. (I imagine the bands feel like getting a tattoo for a time).

Doing the banding is better than what they used to do for them. I remember my grandpa turning baby pigs over in a boot, and using a knife to slice them off.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Doing the banding is better than what they used to do for them. I remember my grandpa turning baby pigs over in a boot, and using a knife to slice them off.
Wow, you must have had an "interesting" childhood! It's a shame that the most cost-effective ways of castrating livestock seem to be "savage" or cruel. Like you said, though, it's better than what they used to do!

Farming - being around farmers like my grandpa - you see/learn things sometimes you don't want to....... Mom used to have to get the "chickens for dinner".....

I've been chased by a big bull.

I've seen kittens stand around and wait for Grandpa to squirt milk from the cow to them... That's so cute!

Some things made me tough, others made me a big softy.

Yeah... They'd lick the milk off their faces - each other's faces and cluster around grandpa. He was a tough old fart and seeing him with those kittens was what made me realize he was pretty sweet and a cool old guy too.

Latest posts

Back