OMG JELLO POOP-PICS!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, stress can cause bunnies to get sick because it weakens their immune systems. Because all your bunnies are relatively new, they may be getting sick from the stress of being purchased and moved to a new home. Runny goopy eyes is a sign of an upper respiratory infection or conjunctivitis. These need to be treated with antibiotics by a vet.

I hope all is well with Daizi and we get an update soon.
sad0043.gif

Sylvies eyes are realllly gooopy and now she is weezing and ontop of that she has jello poop in her poo too! i read it wasnt contagoius though..man this sucks! AH!! :cry1:
off to the vet in the morning!

This really doesn't sound good at all. I read your other threads from this past week. Vet ASAP...
In the meantime, make sure that she is eating plenty of hay and drinking lots and lots of water.

Is she drowsy/lethargic? What is her behaviour like? Does she eat the hay if you play with her (like, tickle with hay?)

she was eating yesterday but today she isnt eating as much and she takes a few nibbles here and there of hay. she doesnt want water?? i dont get it. i will take her asap to a vet but i dont have any way to a vet now as i dont have a car tonight. and all the vets are closed. ill go first thing when they open and keep you guys updated.

I hope she gets some attention soon!!! Hang in there Sylvie.
RexLovables, do you see any "off" symptoms with Butterscotch? If he is from the same breeder maybe you want to have the vet give him a once-over too, to pre-empt anything while you are at it... I'm so concerned for your bunnies. Daizi left so quickly :(

Butterscotch is fine. i quarantined the other 2 in another rooms, both in separate rooms. He is happy, eating, drinking,playful and binking. He is completely fine, but i didnt get him from like a breeder breeder, just a person who breeds a few mini rex, nothing huge like a registered big breeder or anything.

If anything shows up with him, he will be going to the vet too but as of right now, he is fine and happy

Wash your hands, change your clothing before you come into contact with butterscotch again. Give him all of his food and water and unlimited hay tonight, then keep away from him while you care for Sylvie. Can't afford to carry anything into his space. Take him to the vet tomorrow as well. I don't think you can afford to wait and see what develops.

Do you have a gatorade bottle, a water bottle with a pop up top, any syringes? You need to get some water into Sylvie very soon if she won't drink it up herself.

Try giving her a bowl of water flavoured with a bit of vanilla extract. Any non-citrus fruit juice in the house?

Is there an emergency after hours number at the vet that you can ring?

If you tease her a bit with hay, does she snap at it and eat it?
Try some of what is posted in this link: http://www.vrra.org/forcefeeding.htm

Write with any questions:hug:

If it is ME...I have heard it can be passed from rabbit to rabbit and is more prevalent in younger bunns. Our one boy showed signs 24 hours before the second one started to show symptoms.

Danielle

That is why I am really thinking, maybe all the buns should be herded up (carefully, in case they are actually NOT all sick) and taken to the vet for examination. :(

OK...

We called the vet and had her call in a prescription to a pharmacy near us...with the mucous it was pretty obvious it was mucoid enteropathy...we used sulphamethoxazole/trimethoprimalso calledNovo-Trimel.
(There are some who don't like Novo-Trimel because it isn't as effective as some antibiotics...but following the school of thought that the caecum impaction may be caused by the bunn being stressed to the point that the newly formed flora of the caecum(still developing in young bunns)are disrupted...we didn't want to use a stronger anti-biotic and "nuke" what good intestinal flora he might have)

This was our schedule for about 4 days: Guffy was about 8 weeks old.

Every hour:
-Ovol 1ml for the gas
-as much pedialyte or water he would take
-put Guffy on a heating pad and massage the sides of his tummy...he was so swollen it was too painful to rub his actual tummy.
-after about 10 mminutes of heat...onto the floor to move around for 5 minutes or so then back in his cage (we had a heating pad tucked under his blanket and that was where he would lay down)

Every 8 hours:
-1/4 of a 5mg tablet of cisapride soaked in pineapple juice (or the breeder suggested a laxative called Agarol too)(but this was with a bunn with constipative ME.)

Every 12 hours:
-1ml of Novo-Trimel
-dose of Metacam

Because he was hurting eventually his water and food intake stopped...he would nibble here and there but it wasn't enough...he was starting to look punky (not lethargic...but def tired)(didn't help we were waking him up every hour on the hour!)our vet advised to stop pushing fiber because if he wasn't eating or drinking properly all more fiber would do is worsen the blockage...so we switched to unsweetened applesauce and baby rice cereal to get his blood sugar up...I know some people have said pumpkin works too...but when we switched from pumpkin to the apple mixture there was a definate immediate improvment!

It was just a waiting game after that...cleaning his bum and making sure he wasn't in any pain...it was a very long few days...but ME is brutal and even if you treat it right away it is usually fatal.:( I've done alot of research since our boys got sick...all you can do is treat the symptoms, be vigilant and cross your fingers.

Once the worst had passed hubby and I scrubbed the whole bunny nursery...we used a 50/50 water and bleach solution on anything the bunns had come in contact with and then steamcleaned the floors and used a power steamer on top of that just to be sure. Since the breeders other bunns didn't get sick and it was just ours...we threw out all out hay and pellets and started with fresh stuff on the off chance that mycotoxins might have been the culprit...

I hope you can intervene in time...but it isn't your fault either way.
I have had rabbits for a long time...we have 10 currently and I was blown away by the speed of this sickness...it really caught us off guard and there was nothing we could do to save our boy Finnegan he was gone in 12 hours from the first sign of mucous...and he was less ill than Guffy! Guffy had the swelling and constipation etc...

Good Luck!
Danielle

No problem...

We found it was easier to focus on one problem then everything that was going wrong.

Gas was the biggie at the beginning,Guffy was horribly swollen...so that was the immediate worry so we treated for everything but focused on getting the gas to break up...then later was getting his gut moving, etc...

When you are out numbered all you can do is pick your battles and hold on as long as you can...

Danielle:)

Emergency vet, now. Even if they're not on the "Rabbit-savvy list", they can help stabilize her to make sure she will live through the night.

Edit: I'm going to quote again from the Merck Vet Manual and provide the link.

"Enterotoxemia is an explosive diarrheal disease, primarily of rabbits 4-8 wk old. It occasionally affects adults and junior stock. Signs are lethargy, rough coat, a perineal area covered with greenish brown fecal material, and death within 48 hr. Often, a rabbit looks healthy in the evening and is dead the next morning."

We know know for sure that this disease is fatal--it's not just some GI mucous issue due to a slight disturbance. It requires vet intervention now.

I mentioned elsewhere I have a short list of things that require an emergency vet visit: diarrhea/mucousy poops in a bunny under 1 yr are on that list. It is on the same level of danger as breathing difficulties, sudden paralysis (perhaps due to a fall), broken bones, cuts that won't stop bleeding, watery stool in ANY rabbit, signs of pain that don't go away, and stuck kits. These things all require an emergency vet visit.

:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:
This doesn't sound good.
you've received excellent advice already
Do you have pedialyte, simethicone and benebac? .

Without a vet this is going to be difficult...:(

You need antibiotics like Novo-Trimel or Albon, and a drug to absorb bacterial toxins like Questran, which only a vet will have.
:pray:

Latest posts

Back