OMG JELLO POOP-PICS!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RexLovables

Reaction score
Ok so when i got Daizi from the breeder she looked her over and told me she was very healthy and ok to go to a enw home. I got her home and she has had a bit of softer balls(poop) but i read its normal when switching them over to new food so i was ok thats fine. Well i just went to get her out of her cage and i herd a squirting noise and she pooped clear greenish jellow looking poop! I am freeking out because nothing like that should come out aof a animal! I didnt find any of it in her cage or litter box and i havnt seen her have poop like this since i got her! omg i dont know what to do i am freeked out!
I posted a pic, i no, grose right but i want you to see so you knowwhat it looks like. i wiped it off her bottom with the towl. Here it is......

poo.jpg

poo001.jpg

Hopefully someone else will respond with more detailed info, but I think this calls for a vet visit ASAP because jelly poop like that normally indicates bad bacteria in the GI tract which can be deadly.

yeah i dont know, i read somewhere else on a rabbit vet site thing that it can be because of too many pellets in there diet or something and i also read it can be normal sometimes but i dont know! the breeder said she had a health checkup and she was fine so i dont know

Do you have the breeder's contact info? Maybe you could call and ask if she has seen this before in her rabbits. Did she give you a health guarantee or anything?

When this happened to us it was mucoid enteritis...I advise going to the vet asap!!!!! As soon as you can possibly get to a vet! If you have one near you I would go now...seriously!:(

If it is ME the bunn will look finefor the first while still eating or drinking then will eventually stop...if they have a water dish you may see them sitting with their front feet in the water...they get very thirsty. When held to your ear and gently shaken they will sound like a half full water bottle and make a sloshy sound...you may notice abdominal swelling...

We had two young bucks both littermates 8 weeks old...we brought them home from the breeder...we had them about 6 days when all heck broke loose! We lost one boy within 12 hours and the other guy was uber sick for 4-5 days and finally pulled through with anti-biotics, ovol and metacam! Since your bunn just came to a new home from a breeder...with the stress...it is a distinct possiblity that it is ME!

No one knows what causes it but it assumed stress plays a big role! Not to freak you out...but the stats aren't good for ME...the sooner you see a vet the safer!

Danielle

thanks..but the weird thing is, she is pooping normal. she has been. she pooped normal after the jello poo too.. she just pooed like a half inch of the jello poo then the rest is normal

I'd keep an eye on her...our one boy did the same thing...one went into stasis at the beginning and the other still had semi-normal poops...our vet says that in younger bunns the mucous is a response to a slow or stopped gut...the mucous is to lubricate the gut to help out...

If you see anymore I would hot foot it to the vet...it won't hurt to have a fecal test done just to make sure! We also contacted our breeder a) so she knew what was going on so she could check her herd and b) to see if she had encountered the same thing before and how long ago.

We lost one of our boys to ME so as soon as I see mucous we are at the vet...it was quick and nasty and I won't ever make that mistake again!:( I hope with your girl it is just a response to stress and it will pass! But please watch her carefully...funny enough especiallyif she has herfeet in the water dish...I would never have considered that a sign of sickness! Then again hindsight is 20/20 isn't it!?

Danielle

I agree that you should take her to the vet.

(partially because we have lost a lot of buns recently to GI issues. )

She is new to your home and you don't know what she was eating or exposed to;. a vet check for a new bun is a really smart idea anyway
she may need an anitibiotic with anti-inflammatory properties like metronidazole
whatever. you can take your poop pic to the vet ..that looks like musous to me and mucous builds up when clostriduim is in overabundance in the GI tract.

You need to get some benebac and also give her mostly hay (grass or timothy) and stop the pellets for awhile ..also push fluids

I strongly advise a vet visit...

Call the vettomorrow morning and see what they say...but if it is ME...it is not something to leave to chance! ME is fast, and if it is ME the sooner it is diagnosed the sooner you can intervene!

Danielle

I agree with Danielle, our Buttercup had this a couple of years ago. He ended up on different antibiotics.

Then he ended up with fluid in his abdomen. He had to have the fluid removed (250cc which for a 3 1/2 pound bunny is alot). He was so sick for about about a week after having the procedure done, we honestly thought we were going to lose him. He did make a recovery but hasn't been the same since.

I think you should get him to a Vet asap.

Susan

That's a fairly normal sign of intestinal distress, if there's any sign of runny cecals or poop, the rabbit will need immediate treatment - fluids and fiber.

I can't get there on this netbook, but check the \library files under diahreeia and the showbunny article lists the potential problems. Give it a look.

Good luck!

sas

Because she is so young, I would use some extra caution. It could be mucoid enteritis, which can very quickly go badly. However Pipp is right that mucous is a normal sign of intestinal distress and can pass without problems. If you are SURE that there will not be any more mucousy poops, then it's safe to not go to the vet. If you are at all concerned that there will be more mucousy poops or diarrhea, she needs to go to the emergency vet. In either case, I would get Bene-Bac or Probios tomorrow and give her a good dose of it.

I took another look at the pics/description and I think you may want to take her in. Normal intestinal distress poo is not yellow or green. Yellow/green is a sign of clostridium bacteria. The vet will have drugs that counteract the negative effects of the toxins released by these bacteria into the rabbit. Quoting from the Merck veterinary manual: "Signs are lethargy, rough coat, a perineal area covered with greenish brown fecal material, and death within 48 hr. Often, a rabbit looks healthy in the evening and is dead the next morning."

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/171319.htm

Uh seriously i have abpout had it. i am pissed! Daizi is sick and now Sylvie has goopy runny eyes! OMG why does the worst **** happen to me?! I hope she gets better, dunno what the runny eyes could be from?

I'm sorry, that sucks. I can sympathize... my bunny got an eye infection a month and a half ago, then GI stasis last week, then this weekend I noticed a lump on her tummy. Plus, my other rabbit's eating/pooping might be a bit off, too. And my puppy had to go to the emergency clinic last night because her eyes swelled shut from a bee sting. Sometimes it feels like the problems never end. I hope your bunnies get better quickly.

Well....here we go again. Don't over react to something like this. Stress can cause this. By the time you get a time to see a vet, it will most likely have resolved on it's own. If not, then it would be a good idea to see a rabbit savvy vet. Unfortunately, most vets rely on old information in treating this condition and respond incorrectly. Whatever you want to call it....mucoid enteritis, bacterial enteritis, cecal dysbiosis or any number of names....the green/yellow mucus is indeed the body's response to an irritant in the GI tract. Most of the time the culprit is Clostridium but we have seen E Coli in there too....but Clostridium is by far the most common. This is one of those times you need to "steady the ship".....don't go overboard reacting.

Clostridium is one of those opportunistic bacteria. It is controlled by the beneficial bacteria. In a GI event....stress, food problems, infections, etc., the pH crashes and the benefical bacteria starts to die off. As it dies, it decays and that is toxic. And since the beneficial bacteria keeps the bad stuff under control, as the beneficial bacteria dies, it allows the bad stuff to grow. Clostridium is an obligate anaerobic bacteria....that means it lives in an environment devoid of oxygen and will die when they come in contact with oxygen. For many years, antibiotics such as Baytril, Cipro or Sulfa drugs were used....we now know those drugs are ineffective against Clostridium and are actually harmful when they are put into a compromised GI. We have used Metronidazole for many years....it's an antibiotic that is effective against anaerobic bacteria....but it is used much more for the anti-inflammatory qualities than for antibacterial action. Questran has also been used. This is a human drug and is quite hard to find. It also have to be compounded. The up side of this drug is that it binds toxins (like Toxiban or charcoal)....the down side is that you really have to push a lot of water for it to be effective. I have most recently been using an equine product called BioSponge. It has proven to be highly effective at binding and filtering enterotoxins from specific strains of Clostridium.....and in one of those rare "wins" when it comes to rabbits, the strains of Clostridium that it is effective against is the ones we find in rabbits.

I would suggest just feeding a basic (proper) rabbit diet and stick to high quality hay and plenty of water for the next few days. A probiotic such as Probios or Bene Bac won't hurt. These products help to acidify and stabilize the pH in the gut.

Randy

Latest posts

Back