oh no POOR bunny!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you everyone for such lovely thoughts, I am convinced this has helped her, its amazing what good feelings can do:D

Okay just got in after one heck of a day!
There's okay news, good news and brilliant news!!!!!! And sorry...a bit of bad news too (can't be helped)...

okay news: Rusty is still with us

good news: She is slowly but steadily responding to food and meds
Brilliant news: I am keeping her...SHE'S MINE!!!!!!:pinkbouce::bunnydance:

Sadly Rusty is partially blind and this looks to be permanent. The little wounds in her feet are likey caused by the rusty edges of the lose wire at the bottom of her previous cage. uhhhh....Rusty!!! Her nails will have to stay long until they are looking better to be clipped.
Her fur is still a horrible mess...patches missing and she still smells quite bad as there has not been too much handling involved to reduce stress. She will be home with me in a couple of days.
She is not wanting to be touched and becomes visibly stressed at any contact at all so will not be touching her for a while. Even light strokes have her hyper ventilating and cowering.

Rusty is still terribly weak and is unable to move much. She has had an Xray = nothing broken!!! YAY!!

She has been moved from a cage next to a noisy siamese to a tiny room where the staff have a washing machine and not much else. Machine barely ever used so bun is on her own and this is ...I think...what she needs.
Very hard to tell really what she needs or wants besides meds, warmth, shelter, food etc as she is truly unresponsive to pratically everything.

(There is still a decent chance that she will need to be put to sleep, dependiing on her progress over the next 48 hours but lets leave this off the agenda while I still feel good about this).

As much as possible is being done to track down her previous owners, I am going to be passing on all info to SPCA and they will be looking at prosecuting the !@##$*!! when and if they find them. The vet is also making sure she documents all injuries etc.

My camera is with my partner at his work as we are working on a huge project so have had very little chance to get any of the pics onto my computer. This will have to wait.

Updates will follow.
Unlike BK, Rusty looks like she may never fully recover or even be able to be happy but after only one day, I am not going to really know what will happen.
Thank you for members who have commended my rescue efforts, I DO appreciate this but really it is only something ANY one of you would do!!
Not just me.
I do not feel like someone special at all, just run the mill animal lover who like anyone even half decent, is going nuts with wrath over the cruelty of our less civilised human beings. They deserve such awful punishment for doing this to her.

By the way....
There is a very good chance she is a she!
She is quite an old rabbit, maybe 6 plus at an guess by vet.

Poor Rusty,she's had a bad deal in herlife,i can understand just how frightened she must be feeling at the moment,gosh..i just feel so sorry for the poor little bugger,but lets hope she will be ok,ok as a girl her age can be and what she's been through

I really hope she will be ok,so you can take her home and show her what love and attention means

It really saddens me how a human being can just up and leave knowing that there is a hungry animal that they left behind,how could they just get on with their day to day living knowing this.

I'm hoping that this little girl really pulls through this

Cheryl

Wow:DWhat a fantastic person you are, You saved this poor bunny from a further life of sadness and pain. You should be really proud of yourself :hug:

I just cant believe some people are so cruel, its so sad, poor Rusty :pssd:

We are all sending huge vibes and nose rubs to Rusty, and hugs to you, please please please keep us updated.

Sarah and the buns xxxxxxx

Lemonaxis- O- M- G

I was reading this story, on the verge of tears, thinking 'there is not way on earth that this can have a happy ending. There will be a short post later on saying the poor bunny has passed on' and then I saw that post saying how you are keeping her!!!
Even though she is blind etc. she's alive and I hope she has a happy life- with you I think she will have the best life possible.
I don't want to rant about those.....now I know I'm not allowed to really swear on here........people *coughs* because I'll go on for hours and wreck this thread, but this is so wonderful- you've done such an amazing thing and you should feel so good for the rest of your life.
I hope she gets better and will hopefully forget the horror that was her former life- she has a new life with you now and I am sure she will be so happy.

Even if she does have to be put to sleep- you've saved her and hopefully made what could have been a long, horrific and suffering life into a much shorter but much happier one where she is loved, warm, fed and comfortable. That's all you can do.

Big hugs to you :)

[align=center]:bigtears:[/align]
[align=center]I cannot believe how much that poor little thing has been through. I'm sending extra good vibes and man many hugs your way for both of you.[/align]
[align=center]If she pulls through, I have no doubt that she will find happiness with you, given time to see that not everyone are :soapbox![/align]

I am SOOO glad you're keeping her. There is something about a special needs bun that just ...I don't know. It breaks my heart but at the same time - when I have one of mine get ill - its like it bonds us closer because it learns to trust me more.

We had one little guy come down w/ ec last fall and he didn't make it - but he spent the last week of his life sleeping in my arms at night. He was blind and couldn't do much....but he knew he was loved. He had worse issues than she does (that doesn't sound right - what I mean is - she can still live a good life being blind - but he got ec very quickly and couldn't fight it).

You're in my thoughts and prayers...I was so scared to check this thread!

Peg

Please forgive me if I have upset anyone with my postings about little Rusty, I did not mean to upset anyone.

I have had problems with my wireless too, and I am not thinking clearly at all.

This is a happy story and has a happy ending...
No more tears now...

Rusty has been home with me since this morning but passed away at 4.13pm this afternoon.

I am sorry to be writing this but I cried both tears of grief and of happiness and I somehow feel free and uplifted by her courage.
I went into the vet as usual this morning and after a good talk together we somehow knew she was slowly letting go. She seemed never to be responsive and force feeding became almost cruel, she just allowed the food to tip in, made no effort to swallow and then fell back to sleep.

Instead of her having her last day in a cage at the vets, I took her home with me.
They handed me anitbiotics and well, a whole bag of get better goodies but I knew we would not need them.

I only gave her painkillers and water.

She was on a hot water bottle for an hour or so around midday before baby went to sleep for 3 hours! I held Rusty that whole time and stroked her lghtly, she was no longer scared and slept peacefully. She breathed very lightly and then took a last gasp of air and lay ever so lovingly in my arms. A friend came over and walked baby around the garden while I prayed for such a small and brave little bun.

Gods I can't see the keyboard, please I am so sorry for sharing all this, I don't want to upset anyone. Cry....

I love her so much, she is in my garden now, with Lila and Jane. I have lost 3 buns this year so far and I am no better at dealing with it.

I am so sorry...

Rest in peace my little darling, we all love you so much...
Mum loves you, I am sorry for what they did to you, run free and I hope I can see you again some day.

I am so sorry you lost her. I had hoped that she would pull through this and enjoy a life with you.

I am glad that she was in your loving arms during her last minutes. She at least knew love for a short time in this world. Sadly, too many do not.

I have huge tears pouring down my face after reading this - but I know that had she not had you, her death would have been even more tragic because she would have been alone.

Thank you for sharing her story.

You still saved her...

She had love, peace, and happiness....even if only for a short time.

A good trade from what might have been.....IMO

And I'm sure she's telling Buck all about you...and has forgotten the rest

~~~~~~dialog at the Bridge ~~~~~~~

Rusty: "Buck....where's my hutch?"

Buck: "You don't have one.... or need one anymore."

Rusty: "What are all of those bunnies doing?"

Buck: "Those are called "binkies", Rusty. They do them because they're happy."

Rusty: "Can I try?"

Buck: "Sure!"

Rusty: "Wheeeeeee!!!".....comes running back,...."Can we tell my mommy that I'm ok now?"

Buck: "We'll try, Rusty.....we'll try. Should we send a rainbow....or a butterfly?"

[align=center]:bigtears:[/align]
[align=center]Don't let me get my hands on the people who caused this to happen....[/align]
[align=center]Ok I am sobbing with you. I was so hoping she would pull through. It's so unfair. At least she passed in your arms. And JimD that made me cry more. Such a beautiful image...[/align]

Oh, that poor girl :(. Thank you for making her last few hours peaceful and filled with love - I totally agree with Jim, you did save her. (And I love the image Jim created - I can just imagine it)!

R.I.P little Rusty. You can be free and happy now

Jan

Rusty

I found you little one
The left overs....
Of heartless hearts and mindless minds

Loneliness and hurts
Long sad hours
Dark nights and wind
and the pain...

The sun is too hot
The moon is too cold
Love me please
I am little and you are big

I cried so hard I forgot to smile
My chest is heavy
My cage is small

Then came the hands
Warm and kind
Soothe my hurts
Stroke my face

Water....aaagghhh....water
Blessed coolness

My eyes are blind but
My soul can see
YOU
Let me lie with you
Hold me quiet
I slip into peace
and painfree days

I love you

You have upset no one. You are truly an angel in human outline.

Jim's dialog was precious. Your poem was beautiful The tears have stopped flowing down my cheeks now ...

and innocent little Rusty will {{watch over You}}.

Angels among us,

I'm so sorry you lost her. But you did the best thing you could for her her last days were happy, she was clean and comfy - please take comfort in that. :hug2:

Binky free at the Bridge Rusty. :rainbow:

Back