oh no POOR bunny!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemonaxis

Reaction score
This just landed on my lap this afternoon.
A lady down the road said her brother just moved into Howick and discovered a bunny in the flat backyard, in its cage, no water or food. He was not sure how long the previous tenants had been gone.
I have very few details...this is almost all I know.

He won't take it to the SPCA as its too far away????? Only 30mins from Howick, SPCA will prob put bunny down. Bunny is apparently in the house tonight and has been given some bread! and veges from this guy (I barely even know his sister!!)

Why was I called?
What can I do?
When is the soonest I can get there?
Should I be relying on my limited range of expertise?
Where will I find the money?
Somebody save me from destroying the furniture because I am MAD.... some stupid excuse for a human being left this poor creature in its cage , moved house and just buggered off!!!! I am track going him/her down from the landlord of this house and report him.

Tomorrow morning first thing I am going to Howick to pick up this bun, can't tonight as am home alone with bubs and kids...gonna lose my mind worrying about this.

I realise RO is just too full of rescue cases, but I posted this because if I need some advice, this will be where I come!!

All I know is that bun is starving, matted with dirty fur and has sore looking eyes, this is from a description, I will post a photo and see what I can do at the vets tomorrow!!

Just rung up SPCA after hours service and there is a possibility I can take bun to the SPCA vets tomorrow for a discounted vet check...I don't know if this information will work out but its worth a go. I have whats called a community services card (here in NZ its like a card for cheaper medical care) and apparently its worth its weight in gold at the SPCA as they will spey and neuter your pet for only $65.00 as opposed to around $150ish upwards for a normal vet.

Of course I have no idea if I will be able to help this bun but I got my day cut out for me tomorrow!!

Wow I could end up being a foster Mum for this bun or even end up keeping bun.
Al the options are buzzing through my head, I probably sound like a nut but this really could end up all good. Just have to wait and see.

Wish this guy had a phone connected so I could find out whats going on.
I want to hop in my car NOW!

Wow that's so nice of you to go get this poor bunny. Aren't people idiots and cruel? I really hope he's not into bad shape and that you can keep him or at least get him back to good health.

Great job. I look forward to seeing pictures of him when you rescue him.

Susan:apollo:

Hi,

The only thing that is my primary concern, is that the bun be keep quarantined away from you other animals until the vet can rule out any contagious issues (ie; "sore looking eyes")
Make sure you wash good before and after handling him/her.

Good luck , and keep us posted.

~Jim

Nutrical
lots of hay and fibery things
if his fur is all matted and gross I'd just give him a buzz

Since his fur is matter also I'd probably look into an oatmeal or soothing bath for his skin, mats often cause dandruff and pull the skin every which way and cause pain. Most shampoos designed for kittens will work for bunnies.

-JAK

Well there is so much to write...
I cannot tell my kids what I saw today and what has happened as I just can't....
:bigtears:
The guy who is now renting the house left a note saying he had to go to work, to head out back, bun is in cage and alive.
I called SPCA, they said they would only come pick up the animal if it had been injured and that their pick up van was currently over out South on a call out.

Basically after a longish conversation with them they said, I could bring the bunny in and leave it with them and they would humanely put it down. They had vets that "made pets better" for adoption purposes but injured/sickly animals were most likely to be put down. Sorry. And fair enough I suppose.

Well I can't even put into words what I have seen and felt...cry....

poor bun was starving, filthy and obvoiusly weak little black and brown flecked rabbit that appeared around middle age plus. For some reason I have instantly named "her" Rusty.
Rusty is at this time at my vets for 2 to 3 days.
She was so agitated and boardering on aggressive.

I took along my partner and he watched baby while the kids were at school.

I brought along some leather gloves my neighbour lent me and bunny burritoed bun.
She struggled a tiny bit but slowly calmed down. I syringed approx 20ml water into her, she actually was easy to feed. Then gave her some baby food and placed her in a cat cage with hay and bedding (an old towel). Bun STANK bad and her eyes were a little mushy around the edges with a bit of red skin peeled back. Looked sadly grotesque.

It was hard work as baby needed a feed just before we got back in the car! Had to put on a different set of rubber gloves to feed baby and wash my hands with a water bottle and liquid soap I had packed.

Took bun immediately to a vet I had spoken to before I left.
its a long story but I dont currently have the funds available and needed a vet to understand that so I knew where to go. had to wait 1.5 hours for vet as she was in surgery!! The vet nurse took bun and together we gave her a warm sponge bath and cleaned her eyes a bit plus sub-Q fluids. Buns poor claws were a bloody mess as I can imagine she tried to escape her cage as she got very hungry and thirsty. Poor littel thing just lay there looking very much like she was going to give up!!

Her eyes are dull and virtually lifeless, no spark and she kept opening and closing htem slowly. I cried myheart out and barely managed to keep myself sane all morning...

I can't write too much more now. Am going back to see bun tomorrow.
Basically vet gave her anitibiotics for various infections across her body, attempted to find out if she was a she but really bun was so weak, it just was not a priority.
Nails were cleaned and one foot and leg bandaged as skin was raw. Painkillers administered and wounds picked open and flushed. Not sure where bun got these wounds from. Cage was secure when I arrived so no cats could have gotten in. Woounds were like small little puncture wounds around her feet!! Weird.
Bun has maybe a 5% to 10% of survival.

I had to leave before the vet appointment finished in a rush to get kids from school so only have rung back once to talk to vet. Vet says she thinks bun may have been left alone for much longer than a week, feeding on rain water that landed into the cage and grass within reach of the bars...maybe..just a guess. Her teeth were revolting and when she is stronger, they will need some serious work.
Bun is alive, warm, fed and as comfortable as possible.

Pic to follow...:(

Aww, the poor little thing. :pray:

You are doing such a wonderful thing for this bunny, it is very very lucky that you are caring for it.

We are all praying for this poor thing.

100_9585.jpg

Prayers.jpg

My heart is truly aching!

Why did these people do that? couldn't they have just let it out? I know that's a bad thing too but at least it could have TRIED to fend for itself!

Seriously - leaving it to look at the grass where it can't get to food and water...... It must have gone mad!

I am adding my prayers for this sweet little one...

If she does pass, then know that you have done the best you could for her, and have made a difference for her - you showed her that there are humans who do care, and do love.

But remember too, where there is life, there is hope....
:pray:

Wow! My bunnies think you are a hero(and I must say Iwholeheartedly agree with them)! First nursing BK back to health...now this...

You are a wonderful, loving, caring person. Whether or not Rusty survives at least it's last days will be more comfortable and he/she will have known love and compassion.

Thanks for what you've done. Keep us posted. :pray:

-Mary Ellen

Lemonaxis i first have to say taht you rock for g etting this bun the attention that you have.:hug:

I am praying for this baby and hope that she makes it through :cry4::pray:

The cruelty of some humans never stops horrifying me. :tears2:

Thank goodness there are people like you out there helping, thank you for helping this little bun. :hug2:

Even if Rusty doesn't make it, like others have said, her last days will have been a lot better than they would have been otherwise. Sending vibes that she can pull through. :pray:

So horrible to think that poor bunny has had to go through that :(

you are an:angel:to do what you have i hope you get good news and Rusty is ok

Oh poor bunny :shock:

I hate it when people just go off and forget about their pets in cages like that.... It's even worse than turning her loose!

I'll be thinking of this little one tonight :hug:

~Diana and Butter

I think this sort of thing hits most of us here very very hard. I know when I read this, I kept thinking of my girls and boy.We come to a board about bunnies because we want info, want to discuss them and love them so much for whatever reasons! I don't think I could contain my anger if someone was so awful to my babies! let alone the people who do this sort of thing to their own animals!

Oh no.You were prepared for the worst and looks like you were right to do so. Im so sorry for what this little one has been through.

It hurts my heart that people are so cruel to these poor defenseless creatures. Seriously, at some point its more humane to just put the animal down than to let it suffer and starve to death. I wish this guy would have to suffer what this bunny did. Maybe someday he'll get his..

Seriously, you are amazing for doing so much to help this little one. Even if its all for nothing, her last days will be spent knowing love and nurturing from humans that shes never known before. You are a bunny angel.

I'll be praying for the little one

Haley

You can add our prayers here from PA to all of the others. And you really are a hero to take this little one in and try all that is possible to get her well. She had to have felt the love that you had for her. You've already given her a wonderful gift.

Latest posts

Back