Not so False pregnancy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
delusional wrote:
She's been enjoying her own space and the ability to DBF without getting her bum fur tugged out.

Sometimes its such a hard life being a bun, lol, when one can't even enjoy a relax without being unnecessarily plucked :p

Sounds like you are doing everything right, and hopefully Cordie will too. With Sandy's litter they were fed the first night but didn't look full until the second night. Maybe that's to do with the milk coming in and it having to be shared with a baby swarm, I don't know, but it sounds like right now she is doing ok. If they don't start to look full then you might have to help her, but hopefully it won't come to that :)

OMG!!!!!

I read this thread at the beginning the other day while I was away, and now that I've returned home it's the first thing I saw.... and you have BABIES!!!! :shock::shock: Wow!!

I'm glad that they all seem to be doing well- they are SO adorable. Congratulations!

Oh, and a thought- imagine if Harvey is the daddy and you have 6 giant conti-lop mixes?!!?!! :shock::shock: :p

Well I just checked them again and it looks like they still haven't been fed.. :?

Do I leave it and see if she feeds them overnight or would it be a good idea to try and get them fed this evening?

delusional wrote:
Well I just checked them again and it looks like they still haven't been fed.. :?

Do I leave it and see if she feeds them overnight or would it be a good idea to try and get them fed this evening?
No no no... Do not try to feed them yourself unless you know for a fact that they are not being fed by Cordie. It is very difficult to bottle feed a baby rabbit without them aspirating the milk, which is fatal. Plus there isn't any formula that you can go out and buy that will be anywhere near as good for them as momma's milk. She may have fed them but they just haven't gottena whole lot yet, probably her milk is not all the way in yet. The large majority of the time even a new mom will do fine, it's just us paranoid humans that think they can't handle it, LOL.

Okay, I'll check them again in the morning then...

I wasn't actually thinking bottle feed, I was more thinking the flip Cordie and putting the babies on her belly to feed thing. Which I've read is the next step to try if she's not feeding them. Or is that wrong too?

I can't help worrying about them. :?

The next step would be to stand her over the box, and relax her by feeding her treats, and give her a fuss so that she stands there and her milk comes out so the babies feed. I did this Sandy and she flipped out, and clearly knew better than me because she was a fine mum. I'm not sure what breeders would say, but I would probably be tempted to see what they looked like just before I went to bed, or tomorrow morning (Sandy used to feed at 9pm precisely, not sure what rabbits generally do though).

Flashy wrote:
The next step would be to stand her over the box, and relax her by feeding her treats, and give her a fuss so that she stands there and her milk comes out so the babies feed. I did this Sandy and she flipped out, and clearly knew better than me because she was a fine mum. I'm not sure what breeders would say, but I would probably be tempted to see what they looked like just before I went to bed, or tomorrow morning (Sandy used to feed at 9pm precisely, not sure what rabbits generally do though).
:yeahthat:During the night is when she would belikely todo it, especially if she wants privacy for it. Check on them in the morning.

they are very cute! Congrats on the surprise litter! I wonder who the daddy could be?

I couldn't resist, I just checked on them again, and they're all super fat with little white bellies full of milk. :) One of them looks like he's gonna pop he put so much away! :p

Great news! I'm very happy for you (and them!). Guess it just took a few hours for her milk to drop. Such little cuties! Good for you!

Thanks all - I'm really relieved too. I'm terrible with things like this, I've grown attached to them all already and I know that's not a great idea.. :?

How long will it be before we know what colours they will be?

You'll have a good idea of color in a few days.The fur comes in pretty quick. (And then we get more pictures... right?)

Hmm people might get the idea we want pictures.

You might surmise that rabbit peopletend to bevisually oriented... :ponder:

Latest posts

Back