Not so False pregnancy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delusional

Reaction score
I woke up this morning to find that Cordie had built a big fluffy nest in the corner of the cage.... and was in the process of ripping more fur out of Raspberry's bum to line it!

So... I guess she's going through a false pregnancy?

Is there anything I can do to make her mor comfortable while she goes through this? I haven't moved the nest since I figured that'd stress her out. She's currently laying on it protectively...

Good of her to use Raspberry's fur and not mess up her own! :roflmao:

Give her a few days, let her have her nest. When you see her spending more time away from it, remove it and clean up the area. She'll forget about it soon.

Hehe I know - there's like one tuft of orange, one tuft of black and the rest is all white! Poor Raspberry... :rollseyes

It's so funny watching her carry big piles of hay in her mouth!

Oh and she was laying in her nest a while ago eating part of it... :p

LOL! My mom had a doe that was next to a boy angora when she was a teen. That doe ripped out his fur for the nest and never touched her own LOL!

Smart girls....

Hehe I know.

Raspberry has a little bald patch on her bum now!

But this afternoon Cordie dug her nest up and spread it everywhere so I took it out and binned it. Sad, it was a cute little thing!

(Maybe I should've taken the fur out and glued it back to Raspberry's behind. :p)

Geez she's at it again!

Just when Raspberry thinks it's all over... dun dun dunn... :p
Actually she's using a lot more of her own fur this time. A little grey and orange nest instead of white.

How long does a false pregnancy last? I figured it'd be over after she messed her first nest up..

She's confused. Her hormones are telling her to do something, and she is compelled to do it. My sympathy to Raspberry. I hope she "survives" Cordie false pregnancy!

Not much you can do except wait it out. I've seen it go on as long as two weeks... :(

Ohmygod not a false pregnancy! Wth?!

I just went in to feed the girls and Raspberry and Cordie were brawling, so I pulled Raspberry out and checked her for injuries, and went to check Cordie and her nest was moving! I looked and there's pinkies in there!

But Raspberry is DEFINITELY a girl!

I don't get it!

And now I'm panicking..... really.

We've put a split in the cage and put Raspberry in one side and Cordie in the other with her nest.

NOW what do I do? Gosh I can hardly type my hands are shaking so much.

Help! :nerves1

Well! That is a surprise! Raspberry is a girl? Are you sure? I'm thinking not!

OK, pick up the babies and the nesting material. Get a shoe box (or appropriately sized box). Put in some hay as bedding and make a hole in the hay.Lay in the fur she pulled and put the babies int he nest you made. Lay some fur on top of the babies and put the nestbox back in the same corner they were born in.

Don't panic... it'll be fine. You did the right thing seperating Raspberry.

A nest box will keep the babies together for warmth and make it easier for them to nurse.

I'm moving this thread to the rabbitry section, so more breeders can help out.

Okay I put the nest in a shoebox and tucked them in again. I think there's six from what I can tell.

Do I need to do anything else?

I have checked Raspberry every time she's humped Cordie - because I was paranoid since she was humping! But she definitely has girl bits and no extra boy bits or anything. I know boys can pull their bits in but she has the little slit and 'taco' shaped genitals not the 'burrito'.. I'll try and get pictures tomorrow maybe, I guess that part isn't top priority right now..

I know this probably isn't the case, but are you sure you have mum in there with them? As in, that Raspberry definitely isn't the mum? And that maybe Cordie might be the boy? Also, if one is a buck and there is definitely no chance that one had an outside encounter with someone, then you might be going through this in another 31 days again, but hopefully that's not the case, and lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Do you think the mum will feel safe with the other bunny so close, even if they are separated? Some mum's might not, but you know your buns better than us :)

Oh, and congratulations :D Having babies is so heartbreaking, but also so wonderful.

Back