Not Again!!! )=

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
****We moved into our house in April.May both bunnies were fine.Mid June is wheneverything started happening. Iszy got sick and then Lencigot sick right after that. ****

I have to wonderwiththis statement , Hereis what I am thinking :

You mentioned here that Youhad moved into a new home . How old isthe house , Was there A house inspectiondone before you moved in ?Arethe walls Painted or wallpapered ? Wereany of the ceiling tiles removed , or anysmall section of walls or ceiling removedfor inspection ? Doyou find any wet ordamp spots anywhere in closets, ceilings , floors,rugs, Is there an attic orcellar , Has any Humans gotten sick, have allergy or chronicsinus infections , Chest infectionsor chronic headaches , DifficultyBreathing . rashes ?

I have to wonder IF this isnt allrelated to an over bloom of Molds , one inparticular is a Hazzard to Humans andAnimals and thats Black Mold .,Its Highly toxic , IF thisparticular Mold is the causeYou need to get the heck out of there and callin someone Qualified in BioHazzardMaterials to have it removed ,
You will need to getyour Home tested and have thisstuff Removed IF it isfound I also believe thereare tests now that candetermine the amount ina system . It also thrives in Auto Immunedeficiant humans ansd animals , HAve YourVet culture for the Mold here is a linkto hte site that gives agood description of what it is andwhat it does .

http://www.startremodeling.com/Mold_Midew_Page.htm

We did have a full inspection done on our homebefore we purchased it and no mold/mildew was found. Thehouse is over 100 years old. Everything has been painted sothat no lead paint is exposed. The only thing that I canpossibly think of that could be a factor is the fact that the previousowners had three dogs and one cat in the house. The carpetreaks of dog. We had it professionally cleaned and stillthere is a smell.

Lissa wrote:
Wedid have a full inspection done on our home before we purchased it andno mold/mildew was found. The house is over 100 yearsold. Everything has been painted so that no lead paint isexposed. The only thing that I can possibly think of thatcould be a factor is the fact that the previous owners had three dogsand one cat in the house. The carpet reaks of dog.We had it professionally cleaned and still there is asmell.
Gypsy has brought up a very good point.

What company did the inspection? Was it recommended from theparty/bank selling the house, or your own private company you called in?

That is absolutely garbage if they told you no mold/mildew was found in the house especially if it is over 100 years old!

My brother has a disease where the cilia that line his nose, throat andlungs do not work properly as a result he gets sick very easily and hislungs immediately fill up with mucous and collapse. also b/c of this hehas very bad allergies to mold, dust etc. this hasnt happened since hewass little it was to be kept in check with reg. medication and chestPT. now we moved into a house about 7 years ago .. and of coursethrough tests were done to check for mold b/c of his pre-exsistingcondition and they came back fine.

well .. my brothers allergies became terrible again and was sick againvery often .. we didnt think twice about mold b/c the tests came backclean ...actually we allstarted to get really often nastysinus infections....

and about a year ago we decided to remodel a few rooms b/c we werelooking to sell the house and move ... well let me tell you.. thebathrooms were first and what we found was appalling. whoever livedthere before took alot of time and money cosmetically covering theoriginal walls that were coated in a thick layer of black mold .. theentire bathroom .. the floor was so over taken that when the plywoodand tiles they put over was taken off my step dad went right thru thefloor. it was horrifying, but explained why all of were sick especiallymy brother.

the house we live in currently we brought in our own inspector who saidthere were low levels of mold/mildew nothing terrible and we have allsince been fine.

If you are thinking about remodeling .. or if it really piques yourinterest rip apart one of the walls in your bathroom. youll be verysurprised.

this said ....it may be a possibility that this is what Lenci succumbedto as well. Mold builds up quickly and causes respiratoryinfection this would be the perfect condition for pantoea agglomeransto set in...apparently the most common fruits treated withthis bacteria are apples and pears and your normal run of the milldishwashing soap wouldnt kill it.

I dont know your financial situation. but see if your vet cant test for mold build up in Izsy's lungs

ohoh and i also read that it is carried on cotton balls... (again sorryif this offends anyone) they spray cotton plants with this bacteria iswell. some heroin users filter the drug with cotton balls and often endup in the hospital with "cotton fever" pantoea agglomerans being thecause.

Thank you again. Since moving in Jasonand I haven't been sick or had any other problems with ourhealth. The inspector was hired by us. Now that Ithink about it, I believe it was the sellers' obligation to disclosemold, termites, etc. They signed the contract stating that totheir knowledge there was no mold exposure in the house that causedthem to get sick, etc. I will bring this up to my vet....WHEN SHE CALLS ME BACK. Ugh. :?

Red flag right there Hon .

*****They signed the contract stating that( To theirknowledge) there was no mold exposure in the house that causedthem to get sick, ***** Thats all they have todisclose ,

I can say To my knowledge there areNO cockroaches ) and then allof a sudden 3 weeks later You see50 running by and you had to take my word for it .Nope I NEVER SAW ONE see what I am getting at?

Call that Vet , Harp Her plain straightto death if you have to Get theMold Culture done or betteryet go over her head and go to aqualified ER Vet. have the nose and throat swabbed. your likely to find it mostconcentrated in hte naose hairs.

My husband and I talked about it lastnight. He thinks it would be wise to get the carpet checkedout. It's berber carpet and God only knows how old itis. There is no padding underneath and it smells likedog. My husband used to work for a carpet cleaning servicefor quite awhile and he thinks that if there is mold in the house, it'sprobably in the carpet. And that would make sense since thebunnies are closer to the floor than we are.

I'm still waiting for the vet to return my call. Hopefully itwill be this morning. I have a whole bunch of questions forher.

My biggest concern right now is the size and frequency of Iszy'sdroppings. She's always had small poos, but they're abouthalf the size right now...and there are a lot of them.Thinking it might be the onset of stasis, I offered her cherrios, abanana and parsley. She ate it all. Her abdomendoes not feel hard; she is eating and drinking normally; and there areno strings of pearls.

She's also been leaving huge piles of poo around the house.It's almost as if she can't make it to her litterbox in time.Anyone know what might be causing this? Perhaps coming offthe anti-biotics?

I talked to the vet. She will be starting Iszy on sulfadimethoxine on Saturday.

Can someone tell me how to take her temperature?

berber carpet is the worst...youll fully get anystain or smell out of it .. best rip it up...do you know how the flooris underneath? you may have to actually treat the floor for stink.. ifits just plywood..def rip that up too...and if theres hardwood floorsunderneath, definately invest in gettting them fixed up..will add valueto your house and you can always put an area rug over it if you realllywant a rug.

We are definitely planning on getting newcarpet. It's just a matter of when we can get the money to doit. Berber carpet is terrible. I don't even thinkthere is plywood underneath the carpet, but rather old woodenfloor.

you said that house is over a 100 years old?have you had it checked out by the historical society in your area? itmay be worth more than you know ... if there are the original floorsunderneath by all means DEFINATELY get them refinished ... forget arug, put the money into the floor tremendous wonders for value of thehouse .. and then like i said before you can always throw an area rugover.

Tiffany You forgot tomention the most wonderfull aspect of ahighly polished beautiful wooden floor!!!!

THE RUNNING ACROSSED IT WITH APAIR OF SOCKS ON PLANING THEFEET AND SLIDING TO THE OTHERSIDEOF THE ROOM !!!!

That is hte most fun thing inthe world to do , ermmmmunless you forget to move a coffee table,or slide too far and crash a wall, or orwell never mind we wont go there .

gypsy wrote:
Tiffany You forgot to mentionthe most wonderfull aspect of a highlypolished beautiful wooden floor !!!!

THE RUNNING ACROSSED IT WITH APAIR OF SOCKS ON PLANING THEFEET AND SLIDING TO THE OTHERSIDEOF THE ROOM !!!!

That is hte most fun thing inthe world to do , ermmmmunless you forget to move a coffee table,or slide too far and crash a wall, or orwell never mind we wont go there .
LMAO !! i will NEVER grow old of doing that ..we just moved inNovember and had the floors redone .. myself and my two youngerbrothers would slip and slide for hours .... except the lil one didntunderstand why you could only go in one direction (he's 3)..and he decided to slide to the other wall and went right into thefireplace! :shock:he got a pretty good whack on thehead...and he was covered in soot ..it was hysterical .. so what doeshe do coming running after us trying to make us all dirty like him ..lil brat :p

FreddysMom wrote:
you said that house is over a 100 years old? have you had itchecked out by the historical society in your area? it may be worthmore than you know ... if there are the original floors underneath byall means DEFINATELY get them refinished ... forget a rug, put themoney into the floor tremendous wonders for value of the house .. andthen like i said before you can always throw an area rug over.
There are all original floors underneath, but they're not in the best looking shape.

oh Lissa you have to do it ! ..even ifsome of the boards are damaged the ppl that come in will know whatwoods to replace with ... i cant even describe to you how beautiful itwill look when they are all done ... the building materials they usedback in the day were of such high quality like nothiing you;d see in ahouse these days. do know what the walls are made of ? probably plaster...old houses are so much fun ...get a historical society in there andif you find it a good idea to restore the house ..you can make a mintonce it comes time to refinance or if you ever decide to sell .... doyou have any pictures of it ? what kind of house is it ? victorian ..colonial? etc..

This might be a long shot since this is from 2005, but Lissa, did you ever have any luck getting this under control? My rabbit apparently has this and there is not much info about it. The vet is an exotic vet, but has never seen this before. She had to research it and said it’s plant based. I do have apple sticks I let her chew on and some supplements that are made of fruit. I’m getting rid of them as a precaution, but I don’t really have a clue what to do. The vet seems stumped. Just wondering if you ever found anything that worked?

This might be a long shot since this is from 2005, but Lissa, did you ever have any luck getting this under control? My rabbit apparently has this and there is not much info about it. The vet is an exotic vet, but has never seen this before. She had to research it and said it’s plant based. I do have apple sticks I let her chew on and some supplements that are made of fruit. I’m getting rid of them as a precaution, but I don’t really have a clue what to do. The vet seems stumped. Just wondering if you ever found anything that worked?

Hi Lissa and Christine! I was wondering if either of you found a cure for you’re bunnies? My beloved Holly is sick from this bacteria for the third time, and both me and the vet don’t know what to do next..

This thread is really old, so you're not likely to get a response from the OP, though you may from the last person posting previous to you.

Looking up the treatment for that bacteria affecting people, I found an article that mentions antibiotic treatment of cephalosporine(ceftriaxone) and azithromycin. Cephalosporins have to be given by injection to rabbits(not safe orally), but azithromycin can be given orally(though can rarely cause serious digestive upset in some rabbits). I've had good success clearing up difficult bacterial infections in some of my rabbits, using azithromycin(50mg/kg for 30 days). So this might be something you can discuss with your vet. Here's the article I read.

https://www.cureus.com/articles/647...ic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease-exacerbation

This thread is really old, so you're not likely to get a response from the OP, though you may from the last person posting previous to you.

Looking up the treatment for that bacteria affecting people, I found an article that mentions antibiotic treatment of cephalosporine(ceftriaxone) and azithromycin. Cephalosporins have to be given by injection to rabbits(not safe orally), but azithromycin can be given orally(though can rarely cause serious digestive upset in some rabbits). I've had good success clearing up difficult bacterial infections in some of my rabbits, using azithromycin(50mg/kg for 30 days). So this might be something you can discuss with your vet. Here's the article I read.

https://www.cureus.com/articles/647...ic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease-exacerbation

Thank you for your response! I will definitely discuss that with my vet.

Back