NIC Cages Only-Now Closed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! That's cheap!

I think Macey would like a NIC cage better in the winter, where she could be kept in the garage or something instead of her travel cage when it's super cold.
Did you use all 30 on the pictures you showed a couple posts back?

gwhoosh wrote:
MsBinky, what a lovely cage! I might have to redo mine to be more vertical so it'll take up less floor space and seeing yours makes it seem like mine has a possibility of not sucking! What did you use on the bottom, coroplast?

I know exactly what you mean about thinking it might suck that way. I was really worried about it being too narrow but my buns are doing great. My buns are on the smaller size and do get plenty of time outside their cage too though. Dahlia is maybe 2-2.5 pounds? Wiggles and Bam-Bam are both 4-4.5 pounds. I made sure that all the buns could stand, jump, and stretch out. I used to have a ZooZone cage and it is nothing compared to the condo, even if the condo is narrow. As you know, I split mine to make 2 cages with it. It is great for owners who have multiple bunnies as it provides uniformity and just plain neatness.

As for the floor, I went to Home Depot and measured out pieces of black rubber carpet?I first put that and then I put tile over it. I put the rubber in case of a water spill or a bunny pee'd and it got between the tiles. I have ceramic tile at the bottom, and linoleum tiles on top because I didn't want as much weight at the top. I got good quality carpets from the dollar store and put that over the tile to provide a bit more softness for their hocks.

:)

I got mine at Target too. They weren't on sale at the time, so I think they were about $15-17? There are 23 grids in a box, I think I have 4! One for the cage, 3 to protect the room - that's my Rilee >.<

MsBinky wrote:
gwhoosh wrote:
MsBinky, what a lovely cage! I might have to redo mine to be more vertical so it'll take up less floor space and seeing yours makes it seem like mine has a possibility of not sucking! What did you use on the bottom, coroplast?

I know exactly what you mean about thinking it might suck that way. I was really worried about it being too narrow but my buns are doing great. My buns are on the smaller size and do get plenty of time outside their cage too though. Dahlia is maybe 2-2.5 pounds? Wiggles and Bam-Bam are both 4-4.5 pounds. I made sure that all the buns could stand, jump, and stretch out. I used to have a ZooZone cage and it is nothing compared to the condo, even if the condo is narrow. As you know, I split mine to make 2 cages with it. It is great for owners who have multiple bunnies as it provides uniformity and just plain neatness.

As for the floor, I went to Home Depot and measured out pieces of black rubber carpet?I first put that and then I put tile over it. I put the rubber in case of a water spill or a bunny pee'd and it got between the tiles. I have ceramic tile at the bottom, and linoleum tiles on top because I didn't want as much weight at the top. I got good quality carpets from the dollar store and put that over the tile to provide a bit more softness for their hocks.

:)
Yeah, it didn't even occur to me to make it only 1 panel narrow! But when I saw yours I realized it was a great idea for my smaller-sized room, it would fit perfectly at the foot of my bed and give me more floor space - I might even have enough to buy a bookcase! (it's a new apartment, we move in on the 21st)

Right now I have pegboard with vynl self-adhesive tiles on the bottom and shelf, but I realize that it needs something bordering it because they hay gets eeeeeverywhere. So I might change that too. :? I'm excited :)

I have a new Flemish baby ( will post info and pics soon). She's about 9-10 lbs right now (12 wks) ... I am trying to build her cage. I was thinking 56x43x43 ( two stories - 4 panels across, 3 panelswidth and 3 height.. of course multiply ;) ) or 56x29x43 ( which would be 3 stories and not as wide 2 panels width as opposed to 3) But would that size be big enough? Should I just go ahead and make the bigger one? Should I make the bigger one a 2 or 3 story?
I would like to not have to rebuild again anytime soon.
*note: this is just for containment when she isn't out playing*

~Sealy

I bought 2 boxes thinking I would need them both, but I actually used 1 box and then only like 3 out of the other box.

XxMontanaxX wrote:
Wow! That's cheap!

I think Macey would like a NIC cage better in the winter, where she could be kept in the garage or something instead of her travel cage when it's super cold.
Did you use all 30 on the pictures you showed a couple posts back?

My mum has decided that Maddie needs a cage, she's been a bit destructive in my room...:(

But I'm going NIC :biggrin2:.

I'm going to order 3 boxes of the grids from B&Q like Munchkin (thank you so much!! You've been such a great help to me!:hug1).

Maddie will have a 4 grid long, 2 grid wide, 3 grid high cage. The 2 upper floors will be made from MDF covered with lino, which will mean I won't have to use grids for the upper floors, I'll cut out a corner of each sheet ofwoodso she can jump up. I don't needcoroplast, my room has wooden flooring that Maddie has no trouble walking on, so that will be fine.:)

I'm ordering more grids than I need...to help me convince mum to let Pebble and Ebony inside too;). I'll need an inside cage for them anyway for when they are spayed, if that ever finally happens. :?

Yay!!! You are welcome :cool:

If you ever are looking for Correx (Coroplast) you can get it from Comco in Belfast. They sell it for £9.50 for a sheet 8*4 in white. I used it for my guinea pigs, but not going to for my bunnies - probably will go the wood box covered in lino route or something once I get the rest of my grids.

I love NIC cages - they really are the best!

:biggrin2:

Well, here's some pictures of my cages! :D

Bruno before moving into the rabbit room (was in the t.v. room)..

Bunnypictures-Leanne098-1.jpg

Bunnypictures-Leanne099-1.jpg

Bruno's cage as soon as he moved into the rabbit room (Just after I finished)

Bunnypictures-Leanne568.jpg

BUT, the little monkey as soon as he was let loose in his new cage tried to climb over to see Poppy, so he had to be downgraded to a 4 x 3 until I can figure something else for a roof, or add on with more coroplast. The little monkey!

Poppy, Pebbles, and Bruno's cages (will hopefully be combined to make a 4 x 11 if they bond into a trio). Ignore the mess too, need to do some rearranging today!

Bunnypictures-Leanne569.jpg

Bunnypictures-Leanne570.jpg

Spring wrote:

Bunnypictures-Leanne098-1.jpg

Bunnypictures-Leanne099-1.jpg

BUT, the little monkey as soon as he was let loose in his new cage tried to climb over to see Poppy, so he had to be downgraded to a 4 x 3 until I can figure something else for a roof, or add on with more coroplast. The little monkey!

Poppy, Pebbles, and Bruno's cages (will hopefully be combined to make a 4 x 11 if they bond into a trio). Ignore the mess too, need to do some rearranging today!

Cute Cages Spring! :biggrin2:

Spring wrote:

Do you have extra pannels? You could use them as a roof. Just connect them to fit the top, zip tie the back ones ans some side ones. leave the front 3 loose but use clips to hold them up. It will have a roof and an access to the cage.

I was able to use a few zip ties, so I added some NIC grids to the top, so it's coroplast/grids. Bruno seems happy about the extra addition, and he got a longer shelf too :D.

Access isn't a problem at all, I justcrawl right on in with him! He loves crawling all over mommy (Thank goodness his nails got a trim! Was like daggers every time he put a paw on me!)

You say bonded bunnies need to be together all the time, so if they bond and get them in one NIC cage, can I use 1 water bottle, and 1 bowl or will they still need their own things?

Hi we actually have 2 NICcages for Wilbur & Jackie (long story), we have 2 water bowls one inside one cage and one outside the other cage. But if we only had one cage we would use just one. They actually sometimes drink water at the same time which is quite cute as they have pretty big heads.

Susan:runningrabbit:

I use two bowls and two water bottles. That way they dont have to fight for anything.

You can also use one big litterbox for them both.

I use 1 water bowl, 1 food bowl. I also have a bottle but they dont use it. When they get pellets, there is a race to the bowl but they dont fight over it, they take turns eating.

DSC00481.jpg

There's a picture of Maggie's new cage. Belle's getting her's in a few days, hopefully tomorrow. :)

The tunnel's now on the top floor, as well as a few other things have been placed differently.

Latest posts

Back