New flemish owner : )

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your bun is stunning but whyon earth would you breed her. There are so many wonderful bunniesdrying in shelters and being dumped everywhere.everytime you breed ananimal there is a risk of her dying ,would you really want yourcute little bun drying or getting sick? i think not .what youshould is get her spayed so she can have a nice boy bun friend :p.

sorry if i made anyone mad,im not trying to make trouble.

Hailey

luvfamrap wrote:
your bun is stunning but why on earthwould you breed her. There are so many wonderful bunnies drying inshelters and being dumped everywhere.everytime you breed an animalthere is a risk of her dying ,would you really want your cutelittle bun drying or getting sick? i think not .what you should is gether spayed so she can have a nice boy bun friend :p.

sorry if i made anyone mad,im not trying to make trouble.

Hailey
If you don't want to make people mad, you shouldn't be soautomatically judgemental on your second post on this forum. We are allquite aware of the amount of rabbits that are in shelters and areeuthenized. Most folks here are multiple rabbit owners who have rabbitsfrom both shelters and breeders. Believe me, there is no overpopulationof Flemish Giants. For a person who specifically want that breed, thereare only a few breeder for them in the whole country. You may want toperuse the forum a bit more and get to know us. We are a friendly bunchhere, but don't take to kindy to being preached at.

im sorry if you werequite aware of the amount of rabbits thatare in shelters and are euthenized than you woundn't breedany rabbits.i only said what i said for the bunnies sake. i dont wishto make trouble.

i wish you all the best

hailey

Everyone on this list is aware of how peoplehave neglected or abused rabbits. (Just read some of the pastposts!) We all do our part to rescue and help abandoned rabbits, butthere is still a need for breeders. The breeders are whathelp maintain the genetic diversity in our rabbit population.Without breeders, you wouldn't have the tiny little Netherland Dwarf(for people that want a SMALL bunny) or the Flemish Giant (for peoplethat like a BIG bunny),or the cute little lop or the fuzzyangora. If you have any type of rabbit other than an Easterncottontail,thank a breeder. There is room forbreeders as well as pet owners. And if a pet owner wishestobreed their rabbit,and they do it in an educated,thoughtful, and responsiblemanner, then they are not going toadd to the population in the shelters. Responsible breedersnever knowingly let one of their rabbits end up dumped somewhere.

i do think there is someneed for breeders but most breeders do not careabout what happens to their animalsandconsider them stock and do not care for themproperly.

I can understand your concern, but, this is a pedigeed rabbit. Shenever said she was definitely going to breed.

Let me ask you this...I have six rabbits right now. I got twofrom a friend, two I rescued from a pet store, and two I adopted fromanother forum member who could no longer have her bunnies. I have aFlemish Giant that I will be breeding.

Does this make me a bad person? I have looked for a year forFlemish Giants in shelters, I found 3-ina years time. One was adoptedbefore I even applied, another was in a different state and theywouldn't let me adpot her, and the third was because Apollo is intact.

You need to stop and ask yourself why is this person breeding?If you don't see why right off, politely ask and I'm sure you will getyour answer.

Things can go wrong when you breed. Does that mean that no oneshould ever breed, no it doesn't. It means you do your homework and youprepare for the worst while hoping for the best.

Please read a bit more before making statements like the one you just made.

Tina

most breeders donot care about what happens to their animalsandconsider them stock and do not care for themproperly.

Be careful how you use the word "MOST". Do you know that fora fact or are you just repeatingwhat you readinsome biased literature? How many breeders haveyou visited? One bad apple can make the whole barrel stink,but the rest of the apples are really good! The overwhelmingmajority ("MOST"- if you will) of rabbitries that I have been to havebeen clean, with healthy happy rabbits.

luvfamrap wrote:
i do think there is some needfor breeders but most breeders do not care about what happensto their animalsand consider themstock and do not care for them properly.

If she did not care about her rabbits and considered them "stock," whywould she be on a forum about rabbits. Consider the circumstancesbefore making snap decisions, please.

Shuu wrote:

If she did not care about her rabbits and considered them "stock," whywould she be on a forum about rabbits. Consider the circumstancesbefore making snap decisions, please.
i didnot say she did not take care of her buns i m sure she great care ofthem , i just said she should not breed because ofthey risk and the overpopulation of buns.

Do you know that for a fact or are you justrepeatingwhat you read insome biasedliterature

no im not just repeating some biased literature iwound not just start saying things aboutan issue that could offend people without researching andgetting tons of info on the issue.and yes i have seen vistedbreeders

luvfamrap

Please try and do some research on this site, before you go preaching to members about not breeding and animal shelters.

We are all well aware of what this situation is like.

Here is consisted of Breeders, ARBA Judges, Rabbit Rescues, the list goes on, but you get the general idea.

We always recommed to someone that is interested in getting a rabbit, to go to their local shelter.

With regards to breeders. You would prefer someone to go to a shelter,than with some of our breeders, try to save an almost extinct breed.

If you do your research as you said you do, then you wouldn't have started to preach to us members here, now would you ?????

Sorry, but I hate people coming here, trying to preach to otherswithout doing their homework first, and actually doing a littleresearch about a site before posting.

Regardless of the species of animal there aremany unfortunately living in shelters and need good homes...this beingsaid it is also essential to have breeders to keep good healthy linesalive ..in the case of rabbits the majority or rabbits i have seenthere are mixed breeds or mislabeled as a purebreed ..often manyrabbits are labeled as dwarf so that they will sell more quickly. It israre to come across a Flemish in a shelter ..it tends to be one ofthose breeds that only ppl who really really want one buy one ... youcould equivilate this to a bloodhound ..i highly doubt youll ever findone of those in a shelter ..its not the kind of animal that is just arandom buy. unfortunately its the smaller animals thattend tofall in that catagory.

you'll notice on here that most breeding is not encouraged unless it isresponsible and a responsible breeder will not allow their rabbits tobe left to a shelter. In fact, most breeders let the buyer know that ifat any time they are unsatisfied and no longer want the rabbit, toreturn it to them. Like BlueGiants said there may be one rotten applebut that doesnt mean all of them are.

Breeding is alsoessential for preservation and to preventextinction of a breed. Im sure you have seen the threads posted here onthe Palomino breed. and that is a perfect example.

if you read through many of the threads, youll see that almost everythread where it discussed that someone is thinking about getting arabbit"Petfinder" is almost always recommended as a firstchoice for finding a pet bun.

Also, if breeding ceased, there would be no more rabbits. the rabbitsyou can save from a shelter are sterilized therefore even if you founda purebreed you could not use it tofurther its breed.

You shouldnt attack the breeders, but rather attack the irresponsibleowners wholeap before they look and dump their pets afterrealizing the amt of time and energy that must go into it. If this isan issue youso take to heart you should be taking a moveactive approach inspecting pet store making sure they rabbits they selland under proper conditions and if you have to come across a millbreeder contact you local ASPCA to have them shut down. you could alsovolunteer at a local shelter..help spread the word about these rabbits.yelling over the internet at someone willcertainly not fixtheshelter problem so I urge youbased on yourobvious concern to become more active in your local community where youreally could make a difference andsave a few bunnies lives:)

I'd like to talk for a moment about breeders who consider their animals "stock". I've come across some of them.

First of all, I am a breeder. My animals aren't stock - theyare quite literally my "babies" and I spend hours with them every day...

But I have met breeders who treat their rabbits this way. Oneof them - I would not recommend to anyone and have warned a couple offolks about the breeder. However, in the breeder's credit -if it wasn't for the "stock" he'd bred and imported - there would be alot less lionhead rabbits in the states.

The second person who treated her rabbits like stock....has to becommended for the fact that at least she takes good care of them - theydon't seem to be unhappy in their cages (I watched for that and tooktime to see her layout, etc)....and the fact that she has produced goodquality of rabbits and tries to improve her "stock" to meet ARBAstandards. While I didn't care for her attitude about heranimals....I have to recognize that she is at least meeting a need.

Not everybody breeds rabbits because they "love" the bunnies.Some do it for money. Some do it for a 4-H project orsomething like that.

But as long as they are breeding responsibly...whether they treat theiranimals like "stock" or not....at least we are getting those breeds ofrabbits...and in some breeds...there are not many breeders....sokeeping that breed alive and active should be a good thing.

I'm grateful for the breeders I've met - even if I've disagreed withthem about how they handle their rabbits. I know its easierto complain than to compliment...but hey...I'd rather give a complimentany day than voice a complaint...maybe that's just my nature!

Peg

zee you say that people heresay to go to shelters before going breeders it a little hardto believe when the home page of this site says the bestplace to get a bun is from a breeder.

hailey

You need to quit typing quippy come backs and start reading threads. Don't go judging a book by it's cover.

If you read what we have to say in other threadsanddon't agree with how we do things no one is making you stay. If youwant to argue, you are in the wrong place. If you want to help andlearn about rabbits we welcome what you have to say.

I am not trying to be mean but this is ridiculous. We aretalking Flemish Giants in this thread, Not Shelter Rabbits. These aremassive rabbits, that people research and have to get from a breeder.Making blanket statements about breeders in general tees me off.

We wouldn't have near the variety of rabbits today if peopledidn't breed them. I for one am grateful I can chose a shelter pet or apurebred rabbit to share my heart and home.

I wuvbunbuns, I want to say that I am sorry this is happeningin your thread. She is gorgeous. What is her name? I seemed to miss itsomehow.

Tina

Which is actually quite true.

Would you want to get a rabbit that you didn't know the history of, or that may have a problem with genes.

Unfortunately you do not really know where the rabbit came from whenyou get them from a pet shop or a shelter, but thats a risk a persontakes. Like myself.

In most situations, a rabbit is more cared for than a rabbit from ashelter (some shelters are very good, but there some that is not).

The good thing getting one from a breeder is that the rabbit will havea clean bill of health, in some cases litter trained, is used to beinghandled, the list is endless.

luvfamrap wrote:
zeeyou say that people here say to go to shelters before goingbreeders it a little hard to believe when the home page ofthis site says the best place to get a bun is from a breeder.

hailey

Latest posts

Back