Need fashion advice :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarisaAndToby

Reaction score
I know this is the wrong place to ask but I don't wanna look silly on facebook and I already asked my mom but I want a second opinion. I'm still kinda learning the dos and donts of grown up fashion.

I have a banquet to go to tomorrow, I have the dress, have the shoes... I need to know if I can go bare legged or if I need to wear tights/panty hose.

If it matters:
I'm 23 (does age matter with this sort of thing?), tall, dress is not overly short or overly long. It's a comfortable length.
It is supposed to be around -5 to -10 Celsius tomorrow evening, however I will be indoors for the vast majority of the night.

So... Tights/nylons/whatever they're called? Or bare legged?

With that temperature forecast, I might wear tights just for warmth. I'm 22 (I think age does matter with these sorts of things).
I don't know what sort of banquet it will be (e.g. if it was a more conservative religious sort of function or something) but I think you would be fine going bare legged.
This also assumes that the dress is long enough that if you bent over noone would see your butt. Personally I almost always wear boxers when I wear a dress because I spent 7 years wearing uniform skirts in Catholic schools and it just became a habit.

Well I never wear nylons at all for any event. BUT I also live in Southern California where the coldest it gets is maybe 50. So I'd say no you don't have to.

No nylons. Very dated. Stay away! :)

Tights are worn for fashion but not for warmth. I'd say with a dressy type banquet dress tights won't do well here.

I vote bare legs with a great heel!

Thanks guys!

It's for my boyfriend's Junior Football end of year wrap up thing, and it's his last year. My mom said to go with a pair of nightshade tights (which I have), but I was worried it's kind of an "old lady" thing. I couldn't say so for fear of offending her.

The dress is about mid thigh, so shorter but not too short. I always wear shorts/spandex shorts anytime I wear a dress, I never want to chance a peekaboo. I'm glad I asked!

I've got a pair of nude patent leather heels that I'm gonna wear with it. I've got long legs to start off with so I'm gonna be a giant! I'll see if I can't get a picture to show you guys.

Thanks again for the advice :)

Okay, butch dyke here weighing in (hey, in a past life I was a girly girl).
If the dress stops above the knee, wear something under it. Tights if you'll be wearing closed toed shoes.

If you're wearing open toed shoes, no tights. Also, if the dress is below the knee, no tights.

So...shoes matter! Never ever wear open toed shoes with tights!! Otherwise, nude stockings are always okay. However, I'm a hypocrite and hated wearing them and never would. :D

Closed toe shoes and dress above the knee... But no nude tights are owned by this girl. Only black or nightshade (greyish?)...

Also I have no idea what to do with my hair. I am useless. :(

You can leave your hair down, or you can pin it back. My sister taught me the trick of the messy-bun updo. Play with it a little, but if you do a messy bun and stick a bunch of bobby pins in it, if you do it right, it can look like an updo. But the type that only takes ten minutes to do yourself!! You do a high ponytail, wrap it up loosely, and then wrap the ponytail around the base of it. Then bobby pin the fluff out of it!

If I had long enough hair to put up, I'd take a picture so you could see what I meant, but I'm actually in favor of wearing my hair natural for stuff like that. Especially if you usually pull it back in a ponytail.

*agrees with Q-tip's mom about tights*

How long is your hair? You could wet it, plait it tightly, and leave it over night. Then use hairspray on it, then brush it out. Curls! Some people's hair just goes really fluffy though, so I dunno what it'd do with yours.

My hair is fairly long, however it would definitely just go fuzzy if I tried that :p

It's really fine and has some wave to it.

I'm still in the dark about the tights. I want to look like I have my *cough*stuff*cough* together, but I don't want to be the only one of the girlfriends (read: younger ladies) wearing tights. I also don't want to do nude if everyone else is doing dark, or do dark and everyone else do nude! Ugh!!

I couldn't find the actual dress (it's a couple years old), but it looks close to this. It's more of a boat neck shape and had asymmetrical lines stitches into it throughout (stitching black as well).

Dress is solid black.

http://www.theoutnet.com/product/177131

EDIT: Also, would dark hose not look a bit odd with a nude heel?

Double edit: Apparently the term is asymmetrical ribbing, not stitching.

Your tights should match your shoes, I believe. Dark tights with light shoes is a no-no with me anyway, even if not with the fashion world. *shudders* Tights are cheap! Go buy some. :p

Also, don't worry too much about fitting in. Wear things that go together, and that go with you, and you'll be fine. No one's going to care if you're wearing tights, and no one else is!

I don't know if this matches your personality or not, but one of my standby quick hair-dos is just looped plaits, or plaits wrapped around my head; however, my hair is waist length.

I still vote no tights after seeing the dress.

However I do agree that you should wear what makes YOU comfortable :)

I've attended hundreds of formal banquets/dinners/charity events because of my husbands job. I have lots of formal dresses in my closet. So me personally, if I were wearing that dress I would go bare leg.

Have fun! :)

Curios about those who go bare legged. Are your legs tan? Do you use self tanner? Or do you go with what god gave you even if it's whiter than white?

whiter than white here and I go for tights or a nude pantyhose so as not to scare everyone off. Also have freckles and moles in odd places so I never go bare legged to formal things.

I have longer hair and got a "topsy turvy" It's easy to use and gives you a very nice ponytail that you just accent with a decorative barrette or comb. I am also useless in the wardrobe, hair, and makeup department. I can do my own hair with the topsy turvy and feel semi accomplished.

I always go bare-legged, but again I live in SoCal so it's always pretty warm.

My legs are light on the front and super tan on the back because I surf lol.

I agree with agnesthelion with saying at your age, pantyhose/tights does not look good. Especially with that dress. You'd look kind of like Adele (who, also never washes her hair). But if it's really formal and you're going for that look, do dark (unless you have light shoes). But you're young, so bare-legged is probably what other people will be wearing, too.

I agree either bare legged or very sheer nude pantyhose :)

Latest posts

Back