Ned has another ear infection!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thoughts are with :hearts: you certainly have done all you can i hope things improve

Thanks for the kind thoughts, Angieluv and Jemm.

Ned has gotten worse since I last posted (as expected), but the nystagmus is not yet severe and he can stand as long as he doesn't get excited (which is very easy to do- opening the cage door, walking by, him hearing the other bunnies all get him excited). So I decided to go to work. It was only 4 hours. I give a type of therapy to children with autism and didn't want my little boy for today to have his therapy canceled. Unfortunately, he was having a rough day too and started having a tantrum and crying after about half an hour. Normally I can handle these fine, but with the stress and sadness over Ned combined with seeing this little boy upset, I started crying, too. My boss is an animal lover and she sent me home to be with Neddie.

I stopped at the way home to get some fabric to make Ned a Christmas ornament. That might seem like a really weird thing to do, but it's important to me that all the bunnies have their own Christmas ornament and they have to get it before they die. My first bunny got his after he died (actually, I bought it when he was still alive and well, the day after Christmas, and decided to put it on the tree the next year, but he died a few months later) and I always look at that ornament with sadness. So today I will make Neddie his own Christmas ornament. Because of his balance issues, being picked up and held is very stressful for him, so cuddling with him doesn't help him feel better. When the balance and nystagmus get REALLY bad, being held by me will be the only way he won't roll because I hold him tight, but until it gets that bed, holding does not really help him. It's hard to not be able to hold him when he's getting sick and I know what's coming! But making this ornament is something I can do for him.

When I got home, I called the vet again and was able to better explain what's going on with Ned to the head receptionist. She was very sympathetic and said she would talk to the main vet (the owner of the clinic and Ned's back up vet, since his regular vet is out of town- this vet treated his first ear infection so she knows him) and see if they can somehow squeeze us in tomorrow even though all the appointments are filled. Going as a walk in and waiting with him in the waiting room until they have a moment to see us is very stressful for a sick bunny like Neddie!

I will keep the thread updated. Going to go pet him. Petting him gets him excited and makes him roll, but I know he likes to see me and get love. I'm torn between wanting to keep everything VERY calm for him (to limit balance attacks), and wanting to show him I love him since he likes to be petted.

Having read your post I am so sad for you, it has moved me to tears i have lost enough pets I know how it feels. I just hope that however things end up its in the best way for you ned and you. I can tell you have done the absolute best for him and he will know it, I maybe miles away but I send you my best wishes and hope for things to pan out the best for you guys.

Your post was very touching. Your love shines through, and I am so sure that Ned knows it. I want you to know that I am thinking about both of you and what is ahead of you. I know that you have excellent judgment and will make the right decision. I am sending positive energy and vibes your way. Hugs to you and Ned!!!

Thanks for the support, Jemm and Angieluv. Ned's appointment is in 2 1/2 hours (11 am here). I will of course update when we get home.

The increased balance issues over the past couple days have led to him peeing on himself some. Yesterday afternoon, I washed his feet and tail since it probably doesn't feel good to be dirty and I didn't want the urine to burn him. Of course his lower half in general got rather wet (I should say he handled it all remarkably well, I'd never had need to bathe him before and started out with just a damp cloth but he didn't protest so I put his feet under the faucet that was on gently and scrubbed his feet gently with soap). Usually bunnies dry themselves off pretty fast, but this mini bath happened at 6 pm and some of his his fur was still damp at 4 this morning when I went to bed. How weird is that? That and the fact that he had some urine on himself anyway shows he hasn't been grooming like normal the past couple of days, poor guy.

We are back from the vet and I am VERY happy to say that Ned is still with us! He's in his cage eating some banana right now.

Oddly, he started acting a bit better last night. Better balance, no nystagmus. It continued to this morning. He's not "normal"- as in, his new normal since he sustained the permanent damage from the last ear infection- but improved from where he was yesterday morning instead of getting worse. He actually hopped around the vet office quite a bit, only rolled once, and showed off his astonishing running in circles skills (poor guy).

How puzzling that he seems to be doing better. The vet thinks either he had some inflammation in his inner ear (not paraphrasing this correctly) that caused his balance to get worse temporarily and he's now coming out of it, or that the infection never truly went away (and will not because it was so deep seated) and lesions are flaring up. If it's inflammation, he will probably continue to improve, and if it's the lesions flaring up, he could either improve or get worse and be on the road to another ear infection very shortly.

The vet agreed with our decision to have him put down when he has another full blown ear infection and not to try antibiotics again because he doesn't handle them well. But for today, he is doing better! I'm so glad! Based on how he's been the past 12 hours I didn't think we'd actually be euthanizing him today and I am SO VERY HAPPY. So happy to have more time with my boy. It could only be a few days or it could be weeks or months. We don't know. I'm just glad he's staying here with his mama for now!

The vet prescribed some meclizine for him. He was on it a couple of months ago to help with nausea/feelings of dizziness. We don't want to go down the road of antibiotics again, but this might help him feel a bit better.

I've also decided to let him play in the yard if he seems to enjoy it, whether it stresses him or not. His days are sadly numbered and I'd rather have him experience the joy of feeling the sun on his fur and eating the yummy grass and dandelions and smelling all the scents, even if it shortens his life a little more. His quality of life has not been great ever since he got sick. He doesn't play with toys anymore. But in the past, he always loved going outside.

I also haven't taken any pictures or video of him since he got sick this last time because I don't want to remember him this way. But I think I will take both now. This is who he is now and I love him no matter what and am happy to have him here.

It's raining right now, but if it's sunny and dry later today, I will take him outside and get some pictures and share them here. Later I will also take a picture of his Christmas ornament. I finished it last night, but was unhappy with part of it so tore out about 3/4 of it to do again. Should finish it (again) later today. I'm glad I decided to do this, especially since now I'll be completing it under happier circumstances.

So, please hope my little guy continues to improve and he gets hungrier again (his appetite is down a bit and he lost a little weight the past few days).

My heart is breaking reading about little Neddie and I look at my three boys and wonder what I´d do in the same circumstances. He is such a lucky little boy and has so much love in his life. I was so glad to read that he seems to be a bit better and it would be so lovely to see some pics of him outdoors, I am sure he will love feeling the breeze and the sun and feasting on all those lovely goodies. I hope to read about Neddie for a long time to come and he will be in my thoughts and prayers every day.

I am so so happy for you just read your latest post and it really cheered me up I Hope and pray that Ned continues to improve, as you said take it a day at a time and I agree let him in the garden and do what buns do, my buns have lots of ground time and I love seeing them munching grass and lying out in the sun. I got my Oscar through myxi last year and banana was his go to food also, he never refused it and it was like a confidence boost for me to see him chomping on it when he wouldn't go for anything else . Anyways good for you I am genuinely pleased for you and Ned and I look forward to seeing some pics and reading more news about Ned and his recovery. :wink

Thanks, Chrisdoc and Jemm!

Doodlebug did even better today! No rolling and only fell over a couple of times when jumping in/out of his litter box (I've tried switching him to one with lower sides, but he's become particular and won't pee in any other kind). This evening I took him outside for about 15 minutes. He enjoyed it quite a bit- the first part at least- and ran around eating grass. I got a video of it on my iPad but am not sure how to get it off the iPad! As if on cue, the neighbor turned on the weedwacker right when we came outside (who weedwacks at 9:30 at night?), but it didn't seem to bother him. But then a train came chugging along 100 feet away from us, so I decided to bring him inside. Tomorrow we will go out again and I'll get pictures. It was a little too dark to get good pictures tonight so I didn't end up taking any.

:dancingorig: ditto as above' keep it up Neddie boy you've got fans now!

Hi Ned has the same symptoms that my rabbits have had when they have had E Cuniculi they were treated with panacur for 28 days and made a full recovery you can buy it on line and it wont do your bunny any harm its a wormer also Barbi Brown an American breeder has a good website on E Cuniculi and middle ear infections please read it if you get chance she also gives her rabbits Biomycin for infection and Ivomectin a cattle wormer but I would not like tO comment on these as ive not used them but please consider the panacur. If it is E Cuniculi the cage etc has to be treated with 10 percent bleach as its the only thing that kills the spores. and then rinsed well. hope this helps

Latest posts

Back