Ned has another ear infection!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
I'm making this thread so I have a record of Ned's care, so I can share his treatment with more experienced bunny people who can tell me if the treatment sounds good, and so I can get advice from those same people! And so I can just keep anyone interested updated on his condition.

So my poor Neddie has an ear infection again :( He is an approximately 5 year old (exact age unknown as he was adopted as an adult almost exactly 4 years ago) small-medium mixed breed neutered boy bunny. He's been quite healthy except for an ear infection 2 years ago. He came down suddenly with head tilt in July 2011, which we treated immediately (2 am trip to emergency vet) and thankfully he was able to recover in 6 weeks with no lasting head tilt. He was treated with a daily dose of Azithromycin and weekly Pen G injections. This is the thread about his first ear infection struggle: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f27/bunny-scanning-eyes-going-circles-61458/

He did struggle with maintaining his weight for the next 12 months or so, which the vet attributed to the effects of the illness on his aging body, but to our surprise he started gaining weight again about a year ago and has been the picture of health! He would also occasionally turn his head slightly to the right when he was tired, but that too subsided after about a year. After his ear infection, we were very careful about not stressing him out so as not to cause another flare up and I check him every day for signs of nystagmus and a turned head.

Unfortunately, Ned has had another attack. I came downstairs this morning to find him with nystagmus and his head drifting to the left (instead of the right, it changed sides!) repeatedly. He had an extremely hard time standing up and walking and rolled a couple of times :( Scared the bejeezus out of me when he was on his side and kind of curled up in the fetal position about 5 seconds after I realized what was going on. We scooped him up and took him to the vet immediately. Lucky for us, my all time FAVORITE vet treated him- he was gone for a long time and then came and decided to only treat birds, but recently chose to treat rabbits again! This vet has a TON of experience with rabbits, so I feel really lucky! The vet peeked in his ears and saw no sign of infection (last time there wasn't any sign, either), then had him sedated and took x-rays from 4 different angles. He found that a bone behind his ears (sorry forgot what it's called?) has signs of thickening in some places and severe thinning in others. He thinks these bones are full of pus and that's what is making him sick.

The vet decided to treat Ned with the same meds as last time- daily Azithromycin and weekly Pen G shots- since it worked well before. He thinks that Ned's issues with weight maintenance were probably from the Azithromycin and said if it starts happening again we will change the med to chloramphenicol, but since bunnies are classified as food animals (!), he would have to get special permission to prescribe it. If meds don't work or if he has another attack at some point in the future, the vet is interested in doing a surgery to completely remove the bones that are holding the infection so he won't get sick anymore.

He got his first Pen G shot at the vet's office and will begin the Azithromycin tonight (need to pick up the prescription from the pharmacy). Poor baby is scanning back and forth, back and forth with his head but is able to move around his cage with some difficulty (even peed in the litter box, bless his heart!) and has not rolled since we got home. Normally he doesn't really like being held but when he gets like that, he seems to prefer being held. He was in my arms the entire 3+ hours we were at the vet office and didn't try go get away.

So, that's what's going on with my sweet boy. I am worried of course but glad we caught it fairly early again and am so glad we have our favorite vet to treat him! I really hope Ned can kick this again and be all better forever without needing surgery! Has anyone heard of a bunny getting surgery to remove these bones? Sorry I can't remember what the vet said the bone is called, but it was VERY apparent in the x-rays and looked almost like an empty marble.

Please think healing thoughts for my beloved Ned!

I'm sorry about your bun getting sick again. Hopefully the antibiotics will clear it up right away. Was there any thought that e. cuniculi might be involved at all?

Hi JBun! The vet did not mention anything about EC. This is the vet that treated Skyler when he was dying from it so I think he would have brought it up. He thinks it's from an infection in those ear bones but I guess maybe EC could cause that infection. Next time I talk to him, I will ask. Doesn't really make a difference either way I guess and EC is difficult to diagnose.

I was just wondering, because I know of a few cases where it was thought that an ear infection was causing the head tilt, and it turned out to be EC.

JBun, the vet is pretty sure it's the ear bones since we could see damage on the x-rays.

The tympanic bulla is generally where ear infections show up if that's what you're thinking.

Things may be different in your state, but rabbits are considered a minor speceis when it comes to food animals so the restrictions we place on what meds you can give to, say, cows, aren't really there for rabbits.
Well that and our pharmacology favorite saying of we're all felons, we just haven't been convicted yet (e.g. it's currently illegal for a vet to transport controlled substances away from the property where the DEA license is which means they can't legally be brought to farm calls or an at home euthanasia, but that doesn't mean vets aren't doing it.)

Yes, tympanic bulla is the word. It was tympanic something or other. Read an article about rabbit ear parts and that phrase wasn't in it anywhere! Have you ever heard of surgery to remove them in bunnies prone to repeat ear infections?

My poor Neddie. His head and eyes are still going like crazy. I was up until 4 am holding him because it was so bad. His head was starting to rotate so it was upside down (like what you see in many permanently tilted bunnies) vs just turned to the side. Maybe he was really tired because he isn't doing that anymore, thank goodness! He's also sitting in his litter box eating hay right now but isn't eating as many pellets as usual. In an attempt to head off any weight loss issues, I'm feeding him twice as many pellets as he usually gets and he's eaten about 3/4 of it.

Kick in soon please, medicine!

Did the vet prescribe any anti inflammatories like metacam, or meclizine for the dizziness? They might help, especially the metacam. I don't know if you've read this about ear infections, but there is some helpful info about it.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

I also came across this story about this one ladies rabbit that had head tilt due to an infection. She chronicles the treatment and progress of her rabbit.
http://www.onthewonk.com/?p=2%2EHeadtilt+experiences%2FLara+%28Detailed+Diary%29&trk=menu:Lara (Detailed Diary)

Praying for your dear little Ned right now! I've been through head tilt with Jelly and it is no fun at all. I agree, maybe you want to look into a med for dizzyness as that may help.

Questoin for you, when they looked into Neds ears with an otoscope, were they able to see any abnormalities or did any show up on a cytology (swab) on the microscope? Ripley's now starting to deal with a possible infection and I'm not going to lie; I'm worried absolutely sick for him.

Our little Nedders is headed back to the vet this afternoon. He hasn't been eating properly yesterday or today. He will eat his favorite foods (like banana and fresh veggies/fruits) but not his pellets or hay and isn't drinking properly, either. I'm supposed to go out of town for a week and a half starting tomorrow and our vet is doing the exact same thing so this is rather stressful as you can imagine! The nystagmus and head turning is actually gone now if he's just sitting there (he looks normal!), but he is extremely off balance still and does the head weaving if he hops around a lot or gets excited.

Ned went to the vet again this afternoon. The vet gave me Critical Care to syringe feed him until he starts eating properly. He said she thought the antibiotics upset his stomach so he doesn't want to eat. His eyes aren't rolling anymore so she doesn't think it's an issue of feeling dizzy.

Sorry about the lack of an update, I was out of town for a week and then just dealing with things at home. Ned and the other bunnies were in the care of a friend of mine who did a great job. It killed me to leave him when he was sick, but the trip was unavoidable and the vet assured me that Ned would be okay. My friend did take him to the vet twice while I was gone so they could show her how to give subcutaneous fluids and also to give him his shot and I was in regular communication with the vet and my friend.

Oh, my poor Ned. He's been sick now for over 2 weeks. To recap, he's on 1 mL Azithromycin once a day and gets a Pen G shot once a week. He is not doing well :( The nystagmus is gone, but his extreme dizziness and lack of balance has only cleared up a tiny bit. He hasn't improved at all since the first few days after he was on antibiotics. Worse of all though is his appetite is GONE. Completely gone. He will nibble on a few pellets a couple of times a day, but is literally eating maybe a teaspoon (as in the tiny spoon used to measure spices when cooking, not the kind you actually use to stir tea) a day. He won't eat hay or banana or any of his other favorite foods and will only eat a little bit of lettuce and sometimes some cucumber. He also won't drink. The vet is having me give 60 mL fluids once a day so at least he has that, but the lack of food intake is really disturbing. The vet gave me some Critical Care to syringe him, but Ned will have NONE of that. Whenever I've tried, he fights me like crazy and both of us (and the kitchen) end up covered in Critical Care, which is extremely stressful for him. He simply will not swallow it! Flat out refuses, it just gushes out of his mouth. How in the world am I supposed to get calories into him? I'm seriously worried he's going to waste away here :( Has he lost the will to live and is starving himself?

Last edited:
Has he been on any motion sickness meds like Dramamine (I think that's the one buns can have but make sure) for the dizziness?
I know when it got to this point with my tilt bunny I had to take it one day at a time, but eventually had to realize she'd lost her will to fight it. Maybe some sort of motion sickness med would help get rid of nausea and bring the appetite back. I think this was something recommended by Minilophop a while ago with one of her buns.
Thinking and praying for you and Ned right now, poor lil guy:(

Anti nausea meds are what I thought of too, but the vet says he's past the point of needing them since he doesn't have nystagmus anymore. I might beg him to let me just try it in case it works.

The idea that Ned may have given up just breaks my heart :(

The zithromax can cause loss of appetite, so if it is causing such a bad case in Ned it may not be the best med for the job. I also am concerned about the Pen G only once a week. It's supposed to be every other day. I would maybe try the seasickness meds as well since upset tummy and dizziness could definitely be decreasing his appetite. The vet could also give a vitamin B shot to stimulate appetite (has to be an intramuscular injection which is a bit more complex to do), or you could try Pam Nock's favorite, Nutri-Cal. I haven't used it and it's a bit greasy and formulated for cats (malt flavor works best with bunnies) so I am not sure about that supplement, but it has a lot of calories for energy in a non-happy-to-eat bunny and B vitamins to stimulate appetite.

Yeah! Vitamin B can work wonders!

Also, I agree about the Pen G-i don't have alot of experience so I didn't originally say anything, but that was my immediate thought (that it should be more frequent).

Nedderbug went to the vet again today! He agreed that Ned is doing worse :( He told me to give one last dose of Pen G tonight, then tomorrow I'm picking up a prescription for chloramphenicol and an anti-nausea drug that I swear he said was called mescaline but Google says that's a psychedelic drug and I don't think Neddie needs that! Must be some other name. Anyway, hopefully this will do the trick and Ned will get better AND hungrier! Oh and the chloramphenicol is going to be banana flavored, specially mixed up just for our Neddie.

Nedderbug went to the vet again today! He agreed that Ned is doing worse :( He told me to give one last dose of Pen G tonight, then tomorrow I'm picking up a prescription for chloramphenicol and an anti-nausea drug that I swear he said was called mescaline but Google says that's a psychedelic drug and I don't think Neddie needs that! Must be some other name. Anyway, hopefully this will do the trick and Ned will get better AND hungrier! Oh and the chloramphenicol is going to be banana flavored, specially mixed up just for our Neddie.

Sorry to hear he's still not doing well, but I am glad to hear that there are some other things the vet would like to try. Hopefully this will help him out quite a bit and get him feeling better! :goodluck

On a side note, I love all your nicknames for Ned-I was smiling so much just reading "Nedderbug" and "Neddie" :)

Latest posts

Back