Natasha Rabbitova's first blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awe... how sweet...! Natasha loves you so much!! I dunno... how annoying could it be to have a sweet little bunny slobbering on you, making sure you really are ready for bed? I think its Natasha's own form of relaxation therapy. :p

She loves you!
So, Natasha is going to be at the vet school on Thursday... time to see how secure their facility is ;)
You don't have any horses, llamas or alpacas, do you? Several of the horse facilities are under quarantine for EHV1.

missyscove wrote:
So, Natasha is going to be at the vet school on Thursday... time to see how secure their facility is ;)
You don't have any horses, llamas or alpacas, do you? Several of the horse facilities are under quarantine for EHV1.
I'm sure Natasha would appreciate a visit.

As to horses, one little black bunny is the only animal in my life.

I'll be thinking of Natasha tomorrow when she goes in for her spay. Let us know how it goes and be sure to spoil her afterward!

I dropped Natasha off at the Cornell Vet Hospital about an hour ago. She was remarkably calm about the whole thing - didn't really like the ride, but once we got there she started eating and rearranging the toys in her carry cage. Her physical exam went fine. They're going to have her in surgery around 10:30AM, and will keep her overnight to make sure everything's healing up and she's eating OK. I should be able to pick her up tomorrow afternoon.

I know everything's going to be fine, and she couldn't be in better hands, but I'm still going to worry...

She weighs 5.6 pounds, just about exactly what Scone weighed at that age, so my impression that they were the same size is confirmed. Both a bit too large for mini-rexes, and a bit too small for standard rexes. Kind of Goldilocks bunnies - Just Right.

Awe Mike, are you going to be okay without Natasha for a night??Maybe it's a good thing that Cornell is so watchful over their charges when it comes to surgery procedures. I guess I am so used to getting the kids on the same day, but then I worry about them all night.

Are you going to spend some time freshening upNatasha's bedding while she's away? I bet a new toy would be fun for her to play with when she gets home.

:pray:healing prayers for Natasha.

myheart wrote:
Awe Mike, are you going to be okay without Natasha for a night??

Are you going to spend some time freshening upNatasha's bedding while she's away? I bet a new toy would be fun for her to play with when she gets home.
It will be pretty quiet, all right. The first time Scone stayed in the hospital overnight, back in '09, was the first time I'd been alone in the house for a long time - my son had left for the Army a few years before, leaving just Scone and me, and with Scone gone it was weird. I'm not sure how the absence of sound can wake you up, but it did. After he died, I had basically a month alone before I adopted Natasha, but that wasn't enough to really get used to it.

I don't think I'll clean the cage - I think she'll appreciate being home more if it really smelled like home to her. I'm going to stop at Wegmans this evening on the way home so she'll have fresh Spring Mix and kale to tempt her appetite, though.

I just got a call from the hospital - Natasha's spay went fine, no complications, and she was already coming out of the anesthesia and resting quietly. They said they'd try to get her to eat in an hour or so - around six this evening - and they'll call me first thing tomorrow to let me know how she's doing and when I can pick her up. Assuming everything goes according to plan, I'll have her back in early afternoon.

Don't forget, you might have to helpNatasha up onto the sofa with you. Limited running and jumping for your little girl. I'm sure she'll pout a bit if she can't jump herself, but better to be safe than sorry for a few days. ;)

Mmmmm..... fresh Spring Greens mix...!! Nope, Natasha isn't spoiled one bit.... :p

Just got a call from the vet at Cornell. Natasha did OK overnight, but she isn't eating much on her own yet. He said that's not unusual, given the unfamiliar surroundings, but I should keep a close eye on her when I get her home. She'll be ready to pick up at 4:30 - I've got fresh Spring Mix and a stalk of broccoli in the car, waiting for her.

I picked Natasha up at the hospital this afternoon. The vet student said she was her best patient of the week, and everyone thought she was the sweetest bunny they'd seen. That's my girl...

She had eaten a fair amount of kale before I got there, nibbled on the broccoli I'd brought and wolfed down a few craisins and a banana chip while I was talking to the vet. The student showed me how to give her metacam, and I was sent home with a few syringes and instructions to give Natasha metacam tomorrow and Sunday afternoon. I also got some Critical Care powder, just in case she wasn't eating well on her own by tomorrow afternoon.

By early evening she seemed reasonably alert, and she let me hold her for half an hour or so before dinner. She ate some spring mix and hay and had a drink. After we got home I penned her in a corner of the living room until I cleaned her cage (the vet said to minimize the amount of litter and put down a towel in the rest of the downstairs) and then let her out. She wasn't really herself, which is to be expected, I suppose, but as soon as I let her out she ran over to Butter to say hello, then lay down by the woodstove and relaxed.

7648_152207_520000000.jpg

She didn't seem to want me to fuss with her - when I went over to pet her, she tolerated it a bit, then turned her back. I left her alone, as she seemed content just to be home on her own. A little while ago I told her, "bedtime", and she ran into the dining room to use her litter box (yay! one more milestone), then went into her cage.

We'll see how she is tomorrow. I have to be out all day, so she can rest in her cage and recuperate.

I was out yesterday, so Natasha had the day to rest and relax. I'd removed the second floor from her cage so she wouldn't jump around, and left her with a bowl full of salad, lots of hay and some pellets. When I got home around six she'd eaten most of the salad, some of the pellets and a little hay. Even better, she'd used the litter a few times and drunk water.

Today, Natasha's been almost back to normal. She knocked Butter over and groomed her, and ate her breakfast and used her litter box like a champ. It's clear she's still not 100%, but she's moving around comfortably and even kissed my nose when I lay down on the floor. She'll get her last dose of metacam in an hour or so, and I think I'll put the second floor back in her cage tomorrow.

Looks like my girl came through the spay just fine.

:weee:What great news, Mike!!! Sounds like Natasha has forgiven you, and will be back to normal soon enough. Such a tough little girl... ;)

Natasha seems to have recovered beautifully from her spay. By Sunday night, she was hopping onto my chest and kissing my face again. In fact, all the time I was watching Upstairs Downstairs on PBS Sunday night, she was snuggled in my arms, zoned out with her eyes half closed.

She was doing so well that yesterday I put her balcony level back in her cage, much to her delight. She obviously had missed being able to stretch out on the upper level of the cage, and with everything on one level, she didn't have that much room downstairs.

Her appetite has returned to normal, as well - last night she was lying next to Butter when I turned off the TV and said "bedtime". When I came back from the refrigerator with her broccoli, she was already standing on her hind legs looking out of the top of the cage, just like old times.

It looks like she's come through the trauma like a trooper. The only lasting effects I've seen are a reluctance to be picked up or confined - never know if Dad's going to take her for a ride again - and, of course, missing fur on her stomach and left front leg. I'm sure all of that will heal with time.

Sounds like a perfect recovery. :D Does Natasha have to go back for a follow-up appointment, or is she good to go with dissolving stitches?

Isn't it wonderful when things get back to normal? :biggrin:

Back