Myia's Bunny Blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah see, had two extra tall tall x-pens with a cover linked together and home-made wooden shelves covered with concrete with big oak branches for ladders, so our housing didn't turn out too pricey for our chins. They seemed to really like the space and climbing; our zoo had a similar set-up. And we have the good fortune of knowing someone with an orchard that would let us come and chop up the apple wood from branches that busted up in storms (obviously we'd bake it to kill any nasties). That paired with wooden craft pieces, wicker, reed mats, etc. for additional chewing toys kept the toy prices lower. Our big chin care expense was the vet bills, oye. Our female wasn't terribly healthy due to the situation she came from; she had a epilepsy and needed maintence meds. It was quite pricey.

I thought hedgehogs were illegal in Arizona? :?I myself want one but in the end decided against it. I want to stick what I know. :p

On another note go look at Jax and tell me what kind she is. None of that makes sense to me. :p

JadeIcing wrote:
I thought hedgehogs were illegal in Arizona? :?I myself want one but in the end decided against it. I want to stick what I know. :p

On another note go look at Jax and tell me what kind she is. None of that makes sense to me. :p
SHHHHHH! Its a secret.

Congrats on the eggs! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit jealous!

The bunnies are adorable! And that's cool about the hedgehog. I've always thought they are really cute.

Thanks!
Yeah I think hedgies are soo adorable..interesting little creatures! My friend had one and I always wanted to take him out and play with him.

I understand they are not social creatures, but niether are chinchillas. You learn to appreciate the things they do instead, and thier independent nature.

I think thats why I am ok with having dwarf bunnies who tend to be on the more independent side.

Well, its been an exhausting day and I have school..and a lot of cleaning :/

Aww those little lionhead's are just the cutest

Ooo you gettin a hedgie lucky you..they are illegal to own here as well.

I'm the same way with my pets - I just learn to appreciate them for what they are. Out of all my animals, the dog is the only one who really likes to spend time with me. The geckos, fish, and frogs I try to leave alone as much as possible. Barnaby has always been very timid and isn't really a people bunny. Ziggy and Berry are friendly, as long as I have treats! Other than that, they are usually pretty content to just hang out with each other.

Yeah Cherly the laws in AZ I really don't understand, but respect. I would never take an illegal animal IF I didn't have vet care (Which I do, and a really awesome vet who owns 4 herself in the state of AZ) and the fact AZ has a no-kill law. The animals are simply transported to a facility out of state. Yes, I do pay a fine, but I can't imagine the chances of getting caught. My vet has had her hedgies for 5 years in the state of AZ.

I have always wanted to own an albino de scented skunk..they say they are JUST like cats, but even descented they smell like a un-decented ferret..so still a strong odor. But all the stories I hear about them make me fall in love! But they alas are illegal too and I don't have any means to care for such a pet.

Yeah, I think pets who are independent get a bad wrap, everyone always loves the chinchillas but "Hate how skittish they are"
Well, I love it. Seeing them jump around and such..Valentine and Casanova let me scratch thier chins (Romeo does too, but he "barks" anwyays..but a grumpy chin!)
And they are very very interesting animals. I love thier prehensile thumbs and itty bitty arms.

But I think also being an reptile owner it also makes me appeal to more independent animals.

I have Kinobe out in the living room for a 2 hour playtime before I go to school for the day. Chewy would be out in the room, but James has to charge his phone and she has already chewed through 4 phone chargers!

He is doing binkies and racing all over the place. Chewy is such a lazy bun compared to him. She doesn't really go fast at all. He is a speed demon! If we take him to the open park he def needs to be on a leash.

I know your probably wanting photos, I should be getting the camera back this weekend so I will take photos sunday.

Good news is, I did get paid today! I have just enough money to get by and buy some cage supplies for the new lionheads cage.

My incubator is fluctuating between 80-83..which is all female but I don't like moving around because it can cause deformities..usually only in bigger variations (Like going from 80-90) but I am still nervous. Trying to tweak it now.

Off to school now..

JadeIcing wrote:

No, Arizona is one of the states that they are legal :). There are many states where they are illegal though.

I have always wanted to own an albino de scented skunk..they say they are JUST like cats, but even descented they smell like a un-decented ferret..so still a strong odor. But all the stories I hear about them make me fall in love! But they alas are illegal too and I don't have any means to care for such a pet.

I have always wanted a skunk!!! They are the most adorable creatures. I was cuddling a mum and her three babies for about an hour during a Vetsim exotics course I went on.
However, it is now illegal to descent them. Which I completely agree with. I think it's cruel. Like declawing a cat or something. Taking away their main defense kinda thing.

BUT! They don't really ever 'spray'. People who look after skunks etc. say that they have never even heard of someone being sprayed, because skunks just hate the smell just as much, and it really is just a last resort.

But oh they are like widdle teddy bears with padded little feet!!!!!:inlove:

jcottonl02 wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:

No, Arizona is one of the states that they are legal :). There are many states where they are illegal though.
They are only legal if you can obtain a Fishing and Game license which is literally almost unattainable. They are not allowed to be sold as pets or owned as pets. Only 1 zoo here in Arizona even has them as a zoo animal. So they are still "illegal" in the sense to ge the license to own them is rare.

Is it illegal to descent them? I don't know if it would be cruel, but I do think declawing is cruel.

Ah really? How interesting. :DWell I think THINK that owning hedgehogs here is illegal (I might be wrong), so I looked up in America and it said Arizona was fine. But i guess you have to have licenses for anything exotic. Did you need them for your reptiles?

Hmm well tbh I am not an expert, but it seems a little cruel to me. Sort of....leaving it totally vulnerable. Not that it should feel vulnerable as a pet.
But yeah, here in the UK it is illegal now, not entirely sure about America..

No, you dont' need a license to own anything exotic except for hedgehogs and pimates (And other "zoo" animals)

You don't even need a license for large snakes and lizards.

But the license is really hard to get -even by zoos-so thats why I am "illegal" right now.

Well, yesterday I had to feed a live newborn mouse to super snow who laid. Feeding pinkies allows for the fat to restore quickly, which is important for a breeding female during breeding season. Thier frozen was too big..I was upset when I heard the squeaks from the baby mouse.

But I have in fact fed live before, so its nothing new, but still sad. But in just one day her tail is way bigger.

Kinobe is being a little runt! He won't let me pet him, runs away, and is getting into all sorts of stuff!

Well, I am off to work, but I will post more later!

Myia09 wrote:
Well, yesterday I had to feed a live newborn mouse to super snow who laid. Feeding pinkies allows for the fat to restore quickly, which is important for a breeding female during breeding season. Thier frozen was too big..I was upset when I heard the squeaks from the baby mouse.

But I have in fact fed live before, so its nothing new, but still sad. But in just one day her tail is way bigger.

No way am I ever feeding live. I can't even feed frozen.

Well its pretty important to put the fat storage back as soon as possible; especially if she is re-bred and still lving with the male. So I deal with it.

So I was spending time with Chewy on the floor handfeeding her hay.
If she didn't want the certian piece she would take it, and throw it with her mouth to the side. I nearly died inside about 1000 times.
She really is such an adorable bunny..photos never really catch how adorable she is.

Like I said earlier..Kinobe was being a little brat. I don't know what has gotten into him. Can't wait for the nueter..three more weeks? LOL. At least he doesn't have any bad habits.

Another bunny owner got on me about not spaying Chewy yet..I nodded and agreed, but didn't really listen, lol! Chewy is getting spayed in May..she will be approx 1 year old.
Chewy for a long time COULDN'T get a spay because of her head tilt...not only did most of the money went to figure out why she had a head tilt, but my vet said not to operate on her with the head tilt. Its not like Chewy is 4 yers old and I just have not spayed her. She is not even 1 yet.

Chew with her head tilt:

They couldn't find any reason for the tilt, but when it cleard up they figured chewy must of kinked her back temporarily. I am just glad she is better.

Yeah, breeding isn't for everyone. With every animal a lot of factors need to be considerd.
Reptile breeding isn't exactly easy but I find it rewarding and fun. It is my "Hobby" for sure.

What do you feed Jax as a daily food? I reconmend crickets as of course the staple; but to supplement with occasional roaches, and weekly worms (Mealworms, superworms, and a very occasional wax worm)
A lot of people I meet in the reptile world go "I can't feed that! It is gross!"
Well, if it is healthy for your animal, guess what you have to! Just like if your snake doesn't eat frozen, you made the decision to feed live them (If switching doesn't work) and there really isn't no way around it.

I hate feeding roaches but I have to..especially now that my females are breeding.

Myia09 wrote:
What do you feed Jax as a daily food? I reconmend crickets as of course the staple; but to supplement with occasional roaches, and weekly worms (Mealworms, superworms, and a very occasional wax worm)
A lot of people I meet in the reptile world go "I can't feed that! It is gross!"
Well, if it is healthy for your animal, guess what you have to! Just like if your snake doesn't eat frozen, you made the decision to feed live them (If switching doesn't work) and there really isn't no way around it.

I hate feeding roaches but I have to..especially now that my females are breeding.
Crickets and meal worms. I have fed wax worms. Mostly crickets and meal worms.

The past few days I have read through your ENTIRE blog, it takes a while! But, I AM IN LOVE with Chewy! She's the cutest!& I loved your EL!

Back