Myia's Bunny Blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will post photos as soon as I get him :)

Oh I am a bad, bad girl. James will probably kill me. I charged on my credit card..that is pretty much maxed out to get some toy supplies. Sigh. Well, I am still happy. It was a sale, and I really really really needed some toy parts for all 3 mammals (Chins, Buns, Hammie)

I got a 5 pack of Bitty Bagels (It was free with purchase)
3 small Willow Balls (to put on a foot toy for the buns)
5 bamboo Shredders (Chins/Hammie)
A premade foot toy for the buns
20 non-dyed “wheels” to make hanging toys for chins/ham
24 non-dyed “spools” to make hanging toys for chins/ham
10 non-dyed loofah parts (For buns..chinchillas dislike loofahs

And 5 feet of coconut rope to make said toys

Total..$25. Which is really good, but not when you are putting it on credit card! Lol! It was shipping that got me…$8! Gosh I wish there was a place in AZ to buy toys that are not expensive.

I can't even describe whats going on right now.

Our A/C has been on the fritz..it wasn't cooling as fast. But tonight it broke (But I didn't realize it) and I had 3 fans on for the animals (I felt fine, even a little breezy)

I took both Valentine and Romeo out for playtime..they were running and being very active.

About half an hour, I scoop Valentine up into the cage, and he is fine. I know where Romeo's hiding spot is, so I go and scoop him up. Well, he felt really soft if that makes sense..and when I put him on the couch, he was really confused and couldn't jump or walk..

He had a heat stroke.

So I start crying but rush to give him some water, put a cool wet towel on him, and sit outside the refridgerator. Then Valentine starts streaching out, so I do the same.

Casanova is just fine; but he wasn't out for playtime. He is doing just fine and well..too his temp and felt is coat.

I sat outside the fridge, gave pedialyte and wetted the chins down (It is not something you do, but heat stroke calls for it)

Valentine now is perfect..even eating and pooping fine. I think its because I caught him just in time, getting hot but not too hot.

Romeo however isnt' doing so well. there is no exotic emergency vet, so I have to wait until the morning.

Right now he is still in his cage, not moving. There is frozen tile, and the apartment is now cooled at 78..still high but better (I didn't get to see how hot it was before)

I don't think he is going to make the night however. And I am just bawling my eyes out.

I feel so awful. Ijust cant beleive it.

I woke up at 6:30 to take him to the vet, and he had passed. I really don't know how to describe how I feel.
They are fixing my A/C now..but it really is too late.

I am grateful Valentine is okay..he is literally like my baby. My first Chinchilla. I would go crazy without him.

I hope Romeo didn't suffer too much..his enviroment was at 68 for the night (the lowest I could get it) but it was just too late.

The Vet even came in early for us. I would normally do a necropiesy on my animals, but I can't afford it, and I don't think there is any need. I know it was my fault he passed.

When your a chin owner, you need to do things like check the A/C..well I didn't. I of course had all the frozen things in the cage; but I didn't think about the consequences of them being out for playtime.

RIP my little buddy.

I'm so sorry Myia :cry2

RIP little guy :rainbow:

You did all you could when you realised about the broken Air con.

Jen

Oh my, I'm so very sorry for your loss! Please do not be too hard on yourself; it sounds like you took the necessary precautions, but simply didn't realize that they could overheat so easily coming out to play. This is a very innocent mistake, and I don't think you can fault yourself as an owner for trying to cater to their attention needs; you could not have easily forseen such an outcome. I'm so sorry this happened to you and your little chin. :(

Thank you Ren, but it was my fault. I should have checked the A/C..but with 3 fans going I didn't notice. I love the heat, so I usually can't notice when it gets hot. The A/C guy had to leave to get something, but hopefully he will fix it soon. Its a tad warm, but I have all the animals in my bedroom with the 3 fans, so its really cool, plus I have the frozen things in the cage.

I never had any problems with my chinchillas and heat..I always took the needed percautions. I will not be giving playtime anymore until I can get the A/C to perfectly work.

:(

I came on to check how he was doing - I'm so so sorry to hear the news! I was hoping for a better outcome. Try not to blame yourself, no good will come of it.

So sorry again!

Thank you guys. The worst part is there is no place to bury him, so he has to be kept in the freezer until Friday when we can go to my in-laws. I was up until 4:15 am..woke up at 6:30, so he must have passed between there. When I left him, he was very still.

Casanova and Valentine are fine, which is a huge relief.
The A/C guy just left..I am at work but James called me to tell me it was so cold he had to turn it down. The "Inhibitor" of the a/c part was too large, so it wasn't working right.

Valentine's fur will take awhile to regain its fluffiness (From being wet) but I couldn't care if he went bald. I fed him oats and he groomed my finger.

The worst part is, I pick up the new bunny tomorrow. Maybe it will offer distraction, but I am so sad.

Thank you all for your words though. Thankfully I have been getting tons of support and it really makes it easier. I only had Romeo a couple months, so the pain isn't nearly as bad as it would be if it was Casanova or Valentine.

Maybe that's the best way to help you move on- the new bun tomorrow :).

Something terrible happened, which was a complete mistake, and you are blaming yourself- no good will come of it. It's gone and over, and no threat to any of your current animals, so I hope you can forgive yourself- hopefully the new bun tomoz will help you :).

Jen

On a lighter note, Kinobe was a free range bun last night (as Romeo took his cage) and it went surprisingly well. First off, no cords were chewed. We usually close our bedroom door, but didn’t due to the fact it was so hot and all the fans were in the living room for the chins, but it could def work when we close the doors for him.

He also didn’t make *much* noise. I did wake up once when he was behind our headboard, but I tend to be a light sleeper (and I was so stressed sleeping wasn’t going very well)

Chewy could never be free range probably, because she will chew on any cord. Not a lot of thicker cords, but smaller ones she will.

All this has made me not excited to get the new lionhead, which makes me sad.

James said tomorrow we can also go to the pet store to pick up some toys and treats for everyone, which makes me feel better. I don’t know with what money, but he said he would.

I am picking up some dowels and some ends to make my own rattles for the rabbits..I wish I would have ordered some alphabet blocks now. I will probably just put a piece of cholla with some bagel bitties.

I am thinking of buying segrass mats when I have the money, but chewy didn’t like hers last time, but you never know.

I did a tutorial for you guys (Well a very crappy one) about preparing pinecones for treats. Unfortunately, my mother wouldn’t let me borrow her camera, so I had to take them with my phone.

These are my mothers pinecones..her tree isn’t treated with anything, but you never know.

First I boiled all the pincones for about 5 minutes each.

pine1.jpg

Then I let them dry, and bake them at 200 degrees for 40 minutes

pine.jpg

I have yet to give them to my rabbits or chins (after everything that happened) but last time I bought them in the store ($4.25 for 3!) they loved them.

I also took a photo of kinobe a couple days ago doing helicopter ears:

konbers.jpg

Lol awwww I love his helocopter ears!!!! Pippin is an aerobunny too :p.

I bet those buns and chins would love those pinecones! I didn't realise they could have pinecones :p. Bet they make a bit of a mess hahaha :D

They are devouring the pinecones, the buns especially.

I found Kinobe sitting alkwardly in his food bowl to drink water LOL

I also thought I would post photos of the chins cages..just because. Unfortunatly, I took them when Romeo was still alive, so you can see his cute little tail in the tube :(

Casanovas part of the cage:
It needs more shelves, but they chewed through them really super fast.

Now only Valentines part of the cage:
The only thing that I need for his cage is more toys

I am wondering if Valentine and Casanova will bond so they can have a huge cage again. :/

*Oh, and if your wondering about the electrical outlet, the baby covers were off due to the fact we had both fans plugged in right before this. They are back on.

Latest posts

Back