Myia's Bunny Blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This isn't meant as an insult or anything, but I am on a reptile forum (I was looking for mice breeders) and they say you should never ever feed any reptiles live food, they had all this horrible pictures of repltiles when it went wrong. Do you feed live often or was it a one time kind of thing? How do you make sure that your reptiles don't get injured?

irishbunny wrote:
This isn't meant as an insult or anything, but I am on a reptile forum (I was looking for mice breeders) and they say you should never ever feed any reptiles live food, they had all this horrible pictures of repltiles when it went wrong. Do you feed live often or was it a one time kind of thing? How do you make sure that your reptiles don't get injured?

I think it really depends how often you feed them live food. In the wild, reptiles usually eat live food, and are accomplished and skilled in attacking in a way that protects themselves.
If you have a pet that has always been fed on live food since it was very small, then I don't see it should be any problem at all- it's natural to them.
If you have a pet that hasn't been used to live prey, then yes, I believe it could present a danger to the reptile.

I'm sure Myia knows what she is doing- she has owned animals for a long time, and if her chinchilla/rabbit care is anything to go by, then I'm sure all her reptiles are treated like Kings/Queens :)

There's quite a difference between a reptile hunting prey in the wild (stealth attacks) and being caged with a cornered, terrified rodent.

Humanely killed, frozen prey, or 'pinkies' are definitely safer. (I personally would like to see them evolve to s diet of tofu, but don't think that's going to happen anytime soon).

sas :rose:

When it comes to mice I'd agree that frozen is better. There is a difference between how much damage a new born pinky can do, and a full grown adult though.

Leopard geckos won't usually eat prey unless it's live. The movement is what attracts them to feed. Their main diet is insects, but some breeders do feed pinkies during breeding season. But pinkies are very small and don't even have their eyes open yet - I've never heard any stories of them doing damage to reptiles.

To be honest, me personally, I would never get an animal where I needed to feed it live prey, because I just don't wanna see it. I have no problem with it, in principle, really, except the fact that it's not really fair on the prey. In the wild it's whoever has the most skill/cunning/agility, that wins the 'race', but if a mouse is put in a cage, then that's it's chances gone.

My uncle has always owned snakes- hog-nosed snakes, corn-snakes, boa constrictors, and one that I can't remember the name of but it was quite big and was incredibly fast and colourful- and he always fed frozen mice/rats/rabbits etc.

A lot of reptiles require movement to see their food- many frogs do-, and will often only attack a prey at the right temperature, and I think it is nice to feed them in their natural way.

I'm in two minds about it totally lol.

irishbunny wrote:

Because its a newborn baby mouse with no teeth or nails and can't fight back. LOL. At least that is how I can feed live to my leopard gecko and not worry. Most frozen pinkies are too large to feed; and to kill a pinkie and feed it to a gecko is terribly messy since they are so small and ends up being just a mess. Mind you I only feed a pinkie after a female as laid eggs, or if a gecko is severly skinny.

As for snakes, some snakes WILL NOT EAT frozen/thawed or even freshly killed. I didn't feed a snake for3 months trying to get it to eat anything but live; but it just wouldn't. It losttoo much weight andI just gave in and fed live untilI rehomed him, and to this day he is still eating live only. Now it def gets complicated if your feeding, lets say, a burmese a piglet, chicken, or dare I say rabbit and they will only eat live. Those are very dangerous to feed.

I try to switch all of my snakes (I currently don't have any, but my past snakes and my rehabs) to frozen or freshly killed. But some just dont..and it is not thier fault; its the previous owners fault who wanted to see them kill a live animal because it was cool, so the snake only reconizges live prey as food.

For larger mice/rats/ect this is going to sound horrible, but you simply knock them in the head to confuse them so they don't fight back.A lot of reptiles places now sell large ratswith no teeth (They remove the teeth..its digusting and pretty bad) and clip the fingernails past the quick. I don't agree with this..itsmore painful thanknocking them a bit in the head.Most live-eaters eat very quickly with a lot of force so they usually are gone in a couple seconds, leaving the poor rat in less pain.

I agree and understand the argument that live is dangerous; however I have seen a lot of snakes who simply just won't eat, and I don't feel that is right to starve a snake just because it won't eat frozen...soI endorse F/T or freshly killed, but it isn't always a option for older snakes set in their ways.

Dragonrain wrote:
When it comes to mice I'd agree that frozen is better. There is a difference between how much damage a new born pinky can do, and a full grown adult though.

Leopard geckos won't usually eat prey unless it's live. The movement is what attracts them to feed. Their main diet is insects, but some breeders do feed pinkies during breeding season. But pinkies are very small and don't even have their eyes open yet - I've never heard any stories of them doing damage to reptiles.
Good point; most leopard geckos (Esepcially morph breeds) are very sight dependent. I know my Super Snow won't eat anything that moves. I usually have to push the roach/cricket with a pencil so she can see it movign before she will eat.

Pipp wrote:
There's quite a difference between a reptile hunting prey in the wild (stealth attacks) and being caged with a cornered, terrified rodent.

Humanely killed, frozen prey, or 'pinkies' are definitely safer. (I personally would like to see them evolve to s diet of tofu, but don't think that's going to happen anytime soon).

And another good point; rats in captivity will often fight back because they know it is coming.

I absolutley disagree with changing any animals diet to a "tofu" vegitarian diet, b ut that is an entirley different debate! :)

jcottonl02 wrote:
To be honest, me personally, I would never get an animal where I needed to feed it live prey, because I just don't wanna see it. I have no problem with it, in principle, really, except the fact that it's not really fair on the prey. In the wild it's whoever has the most skill/cunning/agility, that wins the 'race', but if a mouse is put in a cage, then that's it's chances gone.

My uncle has always owned snakes- hog-nosed snakes, corn-snakes, boa constrictors, and one that I can't remember the name of but it was quite big and was incredibly fast and colourful- and he always fed frozen mice/rats/rabbits etc.

A lot of reptiles require movement to see their food- many frogs do-, and will often only attack a prey at the right temperature, and I think it is nice to feed them in their natural way.

I'm in two minds about it totally lol.

See, that is another thing..I was originally a reptile owner before I owned mammals, so I understand the concept of feeding and dealing with it. I myself fed frozen rabbits before to larger snakes, as much as I hate to admit it. But I also believe that the animals are farmed for food; not as pets, and that really does make a difference.

But have no fear; the mouse and rat are very cunning themselves (And have to to survive as long as they have) and they dont just rely on fast breeding.

I think a lot of reptile owners get a lot of crap from the mammal community..I once was told I shouldn't own my chinchillas or hamsters because I owned snakes and I was probably just going to feed them to my snake. People can be really mean. I also never tell a breeder I want to own a snake; most of the time they think your going to feed it. Which makes no sense because I am paying $50+ for a pet rabbit when live feeder rabbits are about $10.

But we also have to remember our beloved ARBA also endorses the meat industry of rabbits..

Its always a double edge.

So, for all of those craving photos..I think I lost James and I camera..I couldn’t find it at my in-laws, but I should thoroughly check the car again. But I should be able to borrow my mother’s camera to take photos.

I am also going to try to enter the Photo Phile contest for spring.

My weekend was good. Friday night I went to a party and it went fantastic..I think we stayed up until 6 am talking with people and enjoying the high life. I really love rum..especially coconut rum, which is pretty ironic if you include my love of all things nautical. I used to drink Malibu, but now I drink Parrot Bay as it is stronger and taste better for the traditional “rum and coke,” but Malibu is great with Mountain Dew. Saturday I really had no energy, but went to a concert of a friend, called Automatic Self Destruct. I love old punk (hate anything new) but they were really good…especially when they did a cover of my favorite Bad Brains song. But I am glad today is a day of rest (Even though I am working today…11:30-5:50)

The two eggs that are in the incubator now are doing great..no mold or deflating. C’mon you gotta make it 7 more weeks! LOL. I am pretty sure my Blazing Blizzard female is gravid, but she hates to be held and it is hard to take a look at her stomach.

The new lionhead buck should be coming home this week..at the latest Friday. I am going to try to get him to come home earlier, if she would freaking email me back! I am smelling a flake unfortunately.

I am dying for a mini rex..I saw one at a store and I sat there and petted it for about an hour. It was a red doe..I was so in love. But I really want a harlequin mini rex..so I decided to wait. They are so sweet and soft.

There is an ad on craigslist for a awesome sable point lionhead buck..its funny because I never had before saw them, and now here my friend as them and so does apparently this guy. I also saw an ad for some lionheads with the yellowiest feet you could imagine.

Gah its only about 1pm..I don’t think I can get through 4 hours of work!

Myia09 wrote:
Pipp wrote:

And another good point; rats in captivity will often fight back because they know it is coming.

I absolutley disagree with changing any animals diet to a "tofu" vegitarian diet, b ut that is an entirley different debate! :)

Totally and utterly agree. But yes- different debate, and probably one that would end in tears lol.

So currently all 3 Chinchillas are living in the FN 142..however Valentine and Casanova are still fighting tremendosly, and I have stopped playtime all together. So the FN is split into 2..well it is by no means not enough space, but I hate it.

I did get the extra Chin cage from my mother (who bought it as a hamster cage, lol) and was suppossed to use it for the females I never got, so it looks like it will be Casanovas cage now, once I build the rabbits cage first.

I have to build wood ledges, and he won't have his fleece tube anymore (I don't think the wire will support it) but its pretty much the same size (Plus he isn't very active) and the two more active chins will have the larger cage again.

I wish James would hurry on the bunny cages, but he hasnt' been paid so there is no money to buy the supplies. I also have to buy a new box of NIC panels (ugh.)

mistyjr wrote:
Why would you want another Buck for??

I didn't think Kinobe and Chewy would bond, so I got a male lionhead for Chewy.

Plus, all she has are boys so I would be getting a boy anyways.

mistyjr wrote:
So, ur going to breed her to him I take it?? *Just wondering*

No? Why would I? He is pedigreed, but she isn't. And I don't want her to deal with another litter. It would be nice (And fun), but really it isn't worth the health risks. She is a good type, but I would probably end up keeping all the babies. I guess it could be an option if I know I could find homes, but really I don't see the need. Plus, she is getting spayed in May, so it will be too late.

He is only 6 weeks..so I have about 4 months to get him nueterd, so its not like they are going to be poppin out babies anytime soon, lol.

He was free, so I am not going to complain that he was a boy. Plus, nueters are cheaper!

*Edit..it is also my choice to decide which buns should bond, so I understand Kinobe is a perfect canidate, but they didn't show the signs like Chewy and Pinball did. I am sure it could have still happen, but really I don't think it matter who is with who as long as they are happy.

*add..did anyone notice mythe "Where" isntead of We're? God I hate spelling mistakes that are so obvious.

Back