Myia's Bunny Blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aw what a cute baby! That's sad about his first owners, but a common story. That would be awesome if he bonds with Chewy. I love my holland lops, they're so goofy.

Thanks for all the comments everyone!
Yeah..mind you he was like locked in the box..like to ship him or something.

He is really cute, but I am already have my doubts. IDK. I wasn't planning on acutally getting a bunny for awhile. And I am super paranoid I missexed him..I check him like every other hour LOL.

Plus I had to spend money to build him a cage..money that I was suppossed to buy some foundation and my face wash which I have literally been entirley out of. So its kind of frustrating.

He is a little more distant now (maybe he was just scared yesterday) but still super cute.

We were going to name him Han (Han solo and Chewbacca are best friends in star wars) but I don't like it. So we settled on Kenobi (In which I call him Kenobi-kins, its after Obi-Wan Kenobi)

So, Sheriff bit me again, but it was probably my fault. I was "testing" him through the cage. He didn't break skin, but it made me sad. But the "good" news is, I had James do it and he "nipped" James but didn't bite him like he did with me (I had a really bad red mark and it HURT)

If anyone can give me activities or bonding things to do with him to help I would REALLY appreciate it

I am thinking of buying a ball (Its those dog balls with the holes) and putting food it in like Ren did and playing with him.

Chewy is perfect, as usual.

Hey paul! Its offical..chins arrive on Wendsday at 9:55 am!

So so so excited!

The rest of the chins are also perfect :)

So..my mother took me shopping AGAIN. I have been supporting myself since I was 16..I don't knwo what the sudden nice-ness is coming from. Especially since we have been fighting about her drinking. But anyways, I am just happy I finally have some new clothes after all this time!

I also blew my money on a new skincare system (It was way cheaper than I thought though) and some foundation that I was completley out of.

So I am going to go on a personal rant. I am really afraid of aging. Not of getting old, but aging.
How afraid? I started using wrinkle products at the age of 17.
Right now I use Philosophy's "When hope is not enough" and thier eye cream (I forget what it is called) Hope is not enough is a firming serum, not really a wrinkle cream. I also use firming body lotion. I don't know what it is, but aging just really scares me. I guess because I went through a "ugly" phase all my life (lol)until I turned about 17 and started looking better..now I don't ever want to regress.

IDK. But it is also amazing all the money I spend on makeup and such..I really don't know how I do it.

Myia09 wrote:
I guess because I went through a "ugly" phase all my life (lol)until I turned about 17 and started looking better..now I don't ever want to regress.

IDK. But it is also amazing all the money I spend on makeup and such..I really don't know how I do it.
Sometimes I hope I'm still in my awkward phase... then I remember I'm just a dork and I'm probably destined to be a dork forever.

Paul they don't come to THIS wendsday..so no new photos lol.

So remember how I was talking about that pink white and tan? Well it fell through. I just can't afford it right now, plus I reconciled with the breeder I got into a argument with and she has a 1 week old PW kit, so by the time he is good to go home I should have the money then.

I am really excited about the new chins coming home. I am setting up thier cage tonight, it won't be THE best, but it will be okay for now until I get another ferret nation. Plenty of room of course, just not as nice.

So, about Kinobe. Its really been hard. I thought I really decided NOT to keep him, and to adopt him out after Easter is long gone, but IDK. Its hard. I do promise not to keep him if he doesn't bond with Chewy, but I at least need to give him a chance!

Sheriff doesn't mind his presence. Sheriff is still offish with me, but "normal" I guess. No incidents.

I am really glad James is my backbone with these rabbits. I tell ya.

So last night I got pretty angry at James friends. They are pretty ignorant, but they think they know it all. 2 of them are photography majors (Although 1 is flunking her classes..her ART classes). Well the one who is flunking her classes is your typical 'Indie" artist who takes pictures of puddles and photoshops them into different colors. Really. She didn't know who Ansel Adams nor Barry Goldwater was (UH your a PHOTO MAJOR HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW?!)

Well I made the mistake of telling his two friends that Ansel Adams has a exhibit at the Phx Art Musuem, and that lead on to the rant of them practically saying he has NO TALENT and it takes NO TALENT TO TAKE PHOTOS OF ROCKS.

Ignorant fools. That is all I have to say. Well, when your as famous as Adams, feel free to say that. BUT YOUR NOT YOU STUPID INDIE PHOTOGRAPHERS WHO TAKE PHOTOS OF A GIRL WITH SCENE HAIR AND ITS "ART".

Mind you, my living room has about 5 Ansel Adams photos..its decorated mainly with him as the centerpiece. He is the PICASSO of photography.

Well that leads onto this que, animal related

Kelsey (Not one of the photo people) dad has a Macaw who is very loud (of course) Kelsey started complaing how her dad doesn't spend time with her so she throws fits or squacks for attention (Not the birds fault, totally understandable) but then proceeds to say how "Much money they would get for her" and they should "Just sell her and use the money for something good"

By this time I had a couple drinks in me, so I just say 'Yeah where would we be if we just sold animals for PROFIT"

And the conversation alkwardly ended.

Really, his friends are as dumb as bricks.

So most people who see Chinchillas go into "Chin craze" and really want one without really thinking of care, expenses or animal type. After 4 of my friends expressed interest in my chinchillas, I wrote up a "budget" for them. Thought I would share.

The cost of owning a Chinchilla

The chinchilla itself:
I recommend buying from a breeder or rescue, which can range from $75-250 depending on the color, sex, and age. Most “petstore” chinchillas are $150, and that is a good price to set as the cost of your animal.
Total cost: $150

The cage:
There are many cage options, but the cages must be large enough for the chinchilla to jump, leap, and run around. Many people (myself included) use Ferret Nations. A FN 141 is about 140 depending on where you get it, and can fit one chinchilla comfortably. You can then upgrade to a FN 142 (Two levels) which is about $200. It is absolutely reasonable, if not under budget, to assume the cage to be at least $175. Do not buy plastic cages with plastic shelves, as not only will these break easily, but will be chewed by chinchillas causing impaction.

Total cost: $325

The accessories:
You will mostly have to order these online because most petstores do not carry quality items. First you will need wood shelves. These can range in sizes and prices. I am talking all my prices from qualitymutationchinchillas.com because she had great products and cheap prices. For 1 chinchilla:
1 large shelf, 2 medium shelves, 3 small shelves = $50
The more shelves, the better. These will also need to be periodically replaced due to chewing
Having a safe house is important. 1 wood house = $10
Hammocks are a great way for your chinchilla to rest and play 1 hammock = $5
Things like fleece tubes or other fleece items are strongly recommended, but I am going with basics.

Total accessories= $65
Total cost so far= $390

The food:
Mazuri, Purina Show Rabbit Formula, and oxbow are all great choices. I will be using Purina as the food of choice. These prices are taken from my local feed store, so expect it to change at your feed store, or if you have to buy it online or at a petstore
50lbs of Purina Pellets= 17.50 (Will last about 6 months)
Unlimited hay, usually will go through 1 50lb bag a month =$5

Total cost= $22.50
Total cost so far=412.50

Other items:
Chinchillas need bi-weekly dust baths Kaytee or other petstore brands are NOT quality dust and it usually needs to be ordered online.
3lbs of Blue cloud dust: 7.25 with shipping
Dust bowl (can’t be plastic): $15
Chinchillas need wood to chew on to take care of their teeth as well as prevent boredom. Wood goes very fast and is very expensive. I recommend buying in large bulk
6lbs of mixed wood: $65 shipped
You will also need to provide other chew toys for variety, but those can be found by using toilet paper cardboard tubes or ordering other types of chew toys (Pumice, chubba slices, ect) I am going to estimate on this
Extra chewing supplies: $10
Treats are other thing. Rose hips are great treats that chinchillas love and are healthy. Rolled oats (not instant) are other great option. Please stay away from sugary items.
Rosehips: $4.50 for only 2oz
Oats: $.75 a pound at local health store

Total of other: 102.50
Total so far: $515

This is just a VERY rough estimate. Some of these items need to be replaced regularly, some last a couple months. But this is just to show that Chinchillas (As well as most pets!) are VERY expensive animals and should not be bought lightly! Mind you I did not include Veterinarian bills or a lot of other costs!

Myia,as i have mentioned before..we don't have chinchillas here..so i enjoy learning more about them..don't really know much about them either..so it's great to read about them and what their requirements are.

I'm looking forward to seeing your new chins when they arrive :)

So I am probably a horrible pet parent.
Its spring break, and James wants to spend it in Peoria. So we have been going back every other day for the animals. Well, we went yesterday and all 3 chinchillas were out of the cage.
Casanova's fur was everywhere. I thought because of the aggression between casanova/valentine I thought valentine seriously hurt casanova.
I found them, and everyone was ok. I cried.
James didn't put a screw on one of the sides and it became loose. I was really so freaking angry I couldn't see straight.

It seemed Romeo/Valentine bonded (I foudn them together as Casanova was in the other room) so I put them togetehr and casanova alone. Casanova still has fur chewing signs from when he was with Valentine so this will give him time to be along and recouperate.

Then Sheriff attacked me again, again, and again (as in my post in nutrition and behaviour) so were sending him to the vet again to see if he is nueter ready yet.

This is going to sound messed up, but I don't like him anymore. I know I still love him, but honestly I want nothing to do with him. I can't trust him not to bite. I feel like its been permently severd. I don't know what to do. Him and I were so close before this.

So basically I am just a bad pet parent and I honestly don't want anything to do with it anymore.

Chewy is just my sweet baby who does nothing wrong. I love her so much. Kinobe is doing great too. I am becoming attached, so bonding BETTER work, lol.

Anyways, I will go now. :/

Sigh I don't know. I was thinking.
The chinchilla thing was really my fault/james fault. I feel horrible about it. But does it make me a bad parent? I don't think so. I give them so much..the chinchillas take most of my animal budget. I give them play time, lots of love time, everything.
The same with Sherriff. I mean, Chewbacca loves me doesn't she? Sheriff is just experiancing problems..I just don't what I did to him to make him hate me so much. I really really hope the vet gives us promising news on him, the appointment is next Friday.

I look at my other animals. My hammie is now a healthy weight and super friendly, my birds are pretty tame (Although not completley) but they finally are on a semi decent diet (they still won't touch most veggies) and my geckos are nice and fat, with great encloures.

IDK. I guess everyone is going through this phase.

I am sorry you are going through some stuff.

I am going to toss an option out that you might not like.

I consider myself a great bunny mom. My rabbits are spoiled and well socialized. They have big cages, lots or run time, veggies every day, ect.

But back about 3 years ago, my roommate got an adorable little mini rex girl named Zooka. She was a cute little 6 week old thing when we got her.

She was my roommates first indoor bunny, and I was there to help her and teach her all the good bunny basics.

But by 4 months of age, Zooka, even with work HATED us. You could simply tell she was unhappy. Even though we spoiled her rotten and tried everything we could, nothing worked.

So after about 2 months of her hating us, and us feeling like terrible people because it got so bad that we didn't want to handle her or anything, we found her a new home.

The odd thing is that she LOVED the people of her new home, she went up for pets, and cuddled, and loved them (still is from what I know).

My point: pets are just like people. Sometimes a pet DOESN'T get along with you, or vis versa. And it doesn't make you a bad pet owner, or evil or anything, sometimes there are just personality clashes.

This might be a case of that.

I am not saying to give up on Sheriff, but think about it as an option that the 2 of you might not get along, and it isn't anyone's fault, just how it goes sometime.

Yeah, that is what I am afraid of Katt. I am afraid I will have to rehome him somehow. But I just can't give him to a shelter or rescue, because I don't know where he would go and I MUST have contact.
Plus, I would feel like giving up. And I don't want to do that. That is why I am praying that the nueter works..but it will probably take a very long time for me to regain the trust in Sheriff (and vice versa)
Its so different when it is YOUR pet, not a rehabilitation or foster, or someone elses.

James is trying really hard too. He wants to keep Sheriff, so who knows, Sheriff (if he doesn't charge at me) may become James bun. But I don't know how that would work, as James does pretty much none of the bunny or animal chores. And if he did, he isn't as much of a diligent animal person as I am. And I wouldn't mind Sheriff around as long as I don't feel like I am going to get attacked.

Chewy doesn't like to be held or handled, and is independent, but gives lots of kisses and what not. But her personality has always been the same, and I love her even though most of the time she is in fact independent.

But Sheriff was SO SO SO affectionate and dog like in the beginning, and now is like a rabid dog. Its just so heartbreaking.

I guess its just his situation that is really weighing me down. PLUS I responded to a craigslist ad for two dwarf hamsters (a mottled and then a blue) and may be picking htem up tomorrow and I know I can care for them (I have never acutally owned less than 2 hamsters at a time except for now) but I keep thinking they will hate me, or I am a bad pet parent and don't deserve them. And I keep looking at my Syrian who is now a healthy weight, who has a great cage, and who is now very well socialized.

IDK.

So sorry you are having problems with Sheriff. I don't think it makes you a bad pet parent at all. Maybe getting him neutered will help, hopefully. That would mean you can't show him then though right?

I don't think you're a bad bunny mum at all, and perhaps if you still do his diet prep and cleaning but have James do his handling (if he is willing to) you'll be able to keep him. Sometimes you just run into an animal that flat out doesn't like you no matter how much you work with them. I had a hamster that would literally chase me around his enclosure attacking; I had to use a livestock feed scoop to pick him up so he could get out and play. It's a crappy thing to accept as a pet owner, but it definitely doesn't reflect on you or the care you provide. Everything I've read here and around the boards suggests to me that you are an exemplary owner.

Yeah, if I get him nueterd that means no showing. Which really is not an issue when it comes to this. There is a show on April 17th, so its a maybe if he isn't ready to nueter yet we can take him to that show.
But this nueter is a need to do as soon as possible, so it may not happen.

I figure when James and I move into the larger place get another show bunny (This time it will be female), what breed I don't know yet. But that is all maybes.

I am feeling slightly better about the situation, and thank you for all your replies.

Animals:
So yesterday with Sheriff was interesting. Right away he got aggressive, and I put him in the bathroom. I have decided the bathroom will the his "time out" place.
I saw that the Vacumm was his trigger, he wanted to "play" with it in a really aggressive way, but I could tell it was just play.
After time out, he was great. I was able to clean with him around without worrying for a very long time (3 hours?) Then he chased me again when I brought out the vacumn. So it is def is a trigger, I put him in time out (To show he can't be that aggressive) and that was it.
I really think it was a great breakthrough.

However, James went to pet Sheriff through the cage (Which I have told him multiple mutlitple times not to do) and he bit James...not break skin but enough for James to get angry and hurt.

So maybe it isn't just me. Vet appt is this Friday, and hopefully from there a nueter and a change.

Kinobe: He is doing great, he is still very shy with me, but otherwise great. I been givng him and Chew out of cage play time, (Don't worry he isn't old enough to produce) and they have been doing great. Unfortunatly, Chews spay money is going to Sherrif, so I gotta budge her spay back in somehow.

But in another serious text, I think Chew may be depressed! She seems so sullen..I don't know why. She has plenty of toys, but maybe they are old? She seems happier with Kinobe though, which is good. I was goign to take her to work with me today, but I have to take the bus home so its a no go. So I think I will take her tomorrow. I don't get off work early enough to go to petsmart, but tomorrrow I am going to buy a couple new toys.

I am also staring a new rotaion with the parakeets..I used to just throw away toys when they were "done" and keep plastic ones (I have 2) constantly in. Well I am going to buy 3 sets of toys and branches, and do a monthy rotation, which really is what should be done. I realized I have had the parakeets since November and they still are not tamed. But I don't know if it is worth the time with Stella since she is 4 years old and a rescue, and it probably would never work and just stress her out. They are tame enough to were I can put my hand in teh cage and clean, just not "finger" tame.

I didn't get the dwarf hammies because James really expressed his discountent. I decided not to get them. My syrian is doing great and he starts his new diet (I wanted to finish the last bag) this week.

Geckos are good, my male wants to breed (Maybe he can smell the females in teh upper cage) but I dont' think either of the females are ready. I am going to buy some dubia roaches and start feeding them every other week to put some breeding weight on them, and maybe they will be ready to go twoards august.

Me:
I had a good spring break. Went to two parties, went to the World Wildlife Aquarium (Pictures will be posted in next post), movies, pool hall, ect.
I graduate officially in 3 semesters with a BA in Sociology. So I will either graduate next summer or fall (depending on my classes) which is a full year early from my graudating high school class.
I am going to go back to Community College and get my Vet Tech license. It is kind of backwards, but its what I want to do.
From there, James should be graduated with his BA by then so its off to Veternarian School and Grad school for him.

Today is my official first day of going vegitarian
I am doing it because of health reasons..google CAFO's..its enough. I used to be a biotechnition so it is VERY true about antibiotic resistant bacteria. Its why I don't take antibiotics at all, and why we have to keep producing new strains of antibiotics (There are 10000 of brands of anitbiotics, none of which have lasted over 10 years besides penicillin) I am reading the book "Animal Factory" which is supposedly a scientific health view of not eating meat (ok I havn'et started reading yet, but I will let you know)
So I am stocking up on lentils and soy beans (I acutally LOVE soy beans so we are good)

Well, hope everyone is well!

So its the start of the year where there are TONS of really awesome leopard geckos for sale. But they are usually $60-125 but then you have to pay $50 for shipping.
I knwo from experiance the Reptile show in Tucson you get amazing geckos for really cheap and I should hold out, but its all the way in September! Ugh! I don't want to wait five months!

Lol. On my list (click on the llink to see photos)

Bold Stripe:
http://leopardgeckowiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bold_Stripe

Bell Albino:
http://www.tangerinegecko.com/Belle 11-6 400.jpg

Tangerine:
http://www.gekkomania.nl/img/tangerine.jpg

And a good large normal
http://www.albertabredgeckos.com/Pictures/Leopard_Gecko_Pictures/Buttercup V2.jpg

Latest posts

Back