My Rabbits,, What you think of them?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lishka wrote:
I think Hachi looks nice, but I can't really feel him. I don't know much about lionheads. The other mini rex are not posed well. But I do know about woolies, and from the pic, that is a pet quality wooly. The coat is very short, the head is not properly shaped and she doesn't have a good wool cap. BUT I can't feel her, so she may have a good body and be a good brood doe. I am not trying to be mean, but you seem like you really want to get into showing a breed and have a strong start, and so, that wooly isn't it. Are you going to go to the ARBA Convention in Minneapolis? If you are not showing you should still go just to get a good idea of what good show quality Woolies are if you decide to get into them. I also think it is a good idea as someone else suggested to focus on only one or two breeds to start. I started with the woolies, and they still get the most attention at the moment. I am still working on the Chins but not as aggressively. I hope this is helpful.

The tort lionhead and Alex are adorable!!
Hachi, she is great rabbit. She haves been shown once. And The judge liked her really,

I have had a breeder looked at her at the show. She said shes a good rabbit just long in the body, And that was all... And No, Im not going to the ARBA Nationals, I was going to but I am not no more,, Thanks to My Aunt.
Yes, I am going to start with one breed at the moment, but keeping Spider, Lance and Alex but the rest are going. And Finch the Wooly is staying. She will be my first wooly.

Yes! We have tried before with another Wooly, But that didnt work.. I'm keeping her! But there is a problem.. She came from Briana (wooly_queen)

Above if you have read about my aunt. When I was in Wi with her for 2 weeks. My Finch is 8 months old. My aunt is worthless, lies and doesnt help anything, Im her "Rabbit Dumpster", Anyways She told me that Finch is getting to old to breed and put her with my lionhead buck.. She told me that the babies will be cute as heck, and they will be good Pet Shop Pets.. Umm, I dont think so...

Yeah, Im putting my foot down.. I have bought my Dutch's & Mini Rex's except Lance. For $30.00 each. She told me that they are the greatest and would be a good brood rabbits. But I bought them, And She was supposed to be giving me the pedigree's of all of them. I been waiting since December for them all. She just makes excuses.. Me and My hubby putting our feets down.

I have noticed that the last show I was at. She was selling baby Flemish and Mini Rex babies at 5 weeks old. About. She wasnt for sure. She haves rabbits dying like crazy, Due too no water or feed. And she tells me how to raise my rabbits.

I need a good breeder to help me out..

Lishka wrote:
Yeah, that isn't too old to breed. But I'm sure the babies will be cute. I would tell your aunt to stay away.
Yeah, I dont think she is though.. I hope not, I will find her a better Buck, Briana told me to find a smaller buck for??

I don't know much about rabbit typing, but I do know a bit about decision making and here's my 2 cents. If this is out of line, mods can feel free to delete it.

Just make sure you're really 'looking before you leap', I think. The process should really be:

1. decide what kind of rabbit you're most interested in.
2. do all your research, read up about type and traits, talk to reputable breeders, go to shows and get a really good idea of the breed, of how to go about breeding rabbits, and good general bunny knowledge.
3. really think about whether breeding rabbits is the right thing for you - it's a huge commitment to a lot of little lives.
4. set up your rabbitry, and source and buy some good, show quality rabbits - probably won't be cheap, but worthwhile if this is really what you want to do.

It seems like you've thrown yourself in and you're very enthusiastic, but it was a bit of a spur of the moment investment - and I know your aunt gave you some bunnies to start out with, but that doesn't mean you had breeding straight away. Since you're asking these questions now and re-evaluating your stock, it might be a good idea to take a break from breeding them and re-evaluate the whole process. It just seems a little odd that you've bred multiple does and had several litters and you're only now asking if your rabbits are decent stock - that part should come *before* the breeding, surely?

pumpkinhead wrote:
I don't know much about rabbit typing, but I do know a bit about decision making and here's my 2 cents. If this is out of line, mods can feel free to delete it.

Just make sure you're really 'looking before you leap', I think. The process should really be:

1. decide what kind of rabbit you're most interested in.
2. do all your research, read up about type and traits, talk to reputable breeders, go to shows and get a really good idea of the breed, of how to go about breeding rabbits, and good general bunny knowledge.
3. really think about whether breeding rabbits is the right thing for you - it's a huge commitment to a lot of little lives.
4. set up your rabbitry, and source and buy some good, show quality rabbits - probably won't be cheap, but worthwhile if this is really what you want to do.

It seems like you've thrown yourself in and you're very enthusiastic, but it was a bit of a spur of the moment investment - and I know your aunt gave you some bunnies to start out with, but that doesn't mean you have to start breeding straight away. It just seems a little odd that you've bred multiple does and had several litters and you're only now asking if your rabbits are decent stock - that part should come *before* the breeding, surely?
I already set up my rabbitry, This is my hobby, I just to get away from my aunt's rabbits and get better rabbits at the next show. I have shown before, I have talked to other breeders even Email a few. And I have not bred and had many litters. I only have 1 litter and they are 6 weeks old. I am selling all my rabbits except the Wooly and a few other rabbits. So, In July I will be buying more wooly and be breeding them before winter hits.. I asked what I should do with these rabbits and alot came from My Aunt, So They are going BYE BYE!,

sorry, I was just looking at your early rabbitry posts and you noted several of the does were pregnant - that's what I was going from :)

I know what it's like to be pressured into something by a relative, and it can definitely be tough to say no. It's good that you're ready to get rid of that influence on your rabbitry and start over. But there's no need to rush into buying new rabbits and breeding again, is all I'm saying - you can definitely take your time, save up money, and make sure of where you're getting them from, or wait for a litter if you find a really great breeder to acquire them from that doesn't have any bunnies available at the moment. There's plenty of time to have more baby bunnies, and you'll have much less problems selling them I'm sure if they have really solid parents.

pumpkinhead wrote:
sorry, I was just looking at your early rabbitry posts and you noted several of the does were pregnant - that's what I was going from :)

I know what it's like to be pressured into something by a relative, and it can definitely be tough to say no. It's good that you're ready to get rid of that influence on your rabbitry and start over. But there's no need to rush into buying new rabbits and breeding again, is all I'm saying - you can definitely take your time, save up money, and make sure of where you're getting them from, or wait for a litter if you find a really great breeder to acquire them from that doesn't have any bunnies available at the moment. There's plenty of time to have more baby bunnies, and you'll have much less problems selling them I'm sure if they have really solid parents.
Yes! We are putting our feet down. I am no "Rabbit Dumspter", No more.
I had i thought i had other does bred but they never had babies.
I am not going to hurry up and buy my Wooly Pair and Breed. Like I said, Im waiting until July at my other show. But first I have to find homes for these other bunnies first then I will go from there.. But Thanks!

If you can not sell these rabbits and want to create space - you could always "donate" the rabbits back to your aunt so you do not have to feed them and care for them.

Just a thought...I know you won't "make money" that way - but at least you won't have to spend money on the upkeep, etc.

I have to agree, But IF I CANT sell none of them,I dont know if this will be good or bad. Here it is..
My landlord does volunteer work at the humane society, They are having a strawberry fest in couple weeks, Where they take the dogs their to adopt them out.. And get money, She said something about that I can donate my rabbit's their so the humane society can get extra money to adopting my rabbits out.??

That is always an option although I think if you can pet them out that might be better. I wouldn't take them back to your aunt though if she isn't caring for them properly.

As for breeding them, when you get your new stock make sure to get them from a reputable breeder and if you can get oppinions on them before you buy that is even better. Like pumpkinhead said don't rush it think each decision through.

I just started into this in April first I got my ARBA membership and got in contact with a few local breeders, then I studied the standard on lionheads, then I started looking at all of the breeders sites and judging all of their rabbits based on the standard. Once I felt like I had an idea of what to look for and with the help of my mentor I chose my first 3. I wont be breeding until late fall and then it will only be done if I get good comments at the show I am attending.

I dont not want to give them back to her because she is not good breeder like she thinks she is.. She haves about 5-10 rabbits die a week. She doesnt take good care of them, And yells at me when I have a sick rabbit. Yes because she gave me a sick rabbit in the first place.. She sells rabbits at shows all the time. She says that she will send out pedigree's to all these breeders that buy rabbits from her but she never does. Oh, They are top line rabbits that she haves, But Found out they are mostly pet quality only.. Like my other aunt that lives close to me bought rabbits from Chandra (aunt that we get rabbits from, the bad one). I found out that Becky (aunt likes close to me) bought rabbits from Chandra that are about $30.00 each. The Flemish Giants haves a bad eye from when it was little had a eye cold. So its eye is messed up. The Buck Giant haves a hole in hes ear from another rabbit. And Her Rex that she got. Well say that he is a castor but hes color never came in like it should.. So Becky got screwed too. Like the rest of the people that bought rabbits from her. And will never recieved pedigree's from.. I keep asking her on Facebook if she done the pedigree's for my rabbits that I need. But No shes ignoring me and talking to her other friends. :X:banghead:tantrum:

countrybuns wrote:
That is always an option although I think if you can pet them out that might be better. I wouldn't take them back to your aunt though if she isn't caring for them properly.

As for breeding them, when you get your new stock make sure to get them from a reputable breeder and if you can get oppinions on them before you buy that is even better. Like pumpkinhead said don't rush it think each decision through.

I just started into this in April first I got my ARBA membership and got in contact with a few local breeders, then I studied the standard on lionheads, then I started looking at all of the breeders sites and judging all of their rabbits based on the standard. Once I felt like I had an idea of what to look for and with the help of my mentor I chose my first 3. I wont be breeding until late fall and then it will only be done if I get good comments at the show I am attending.
Plus, I am already have ARBA Memebership. I was smart about it and got it. That I was told that I dont need it to show and breed rabbits.. But that didnt make since but I got it anyways.

yep the membership was the first step and telling your aunt to take a flying leap should be the next. I can't imagine screwing my family over like that! hugs to you!

Latest posts

Back