My Rabbits,, What you think of them?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistyjr

Reaction score
Let me know what you think of my rabbits???
I need to figure what I need to do.

Thanks,

Finch, is 8 months old. She's an REW Jersey Wooly. (show)

001-10.jpg

002-9.jpg

Sue, is 7 1/2 months old. She's Black Otter Rex. (show) Took 2nd two times at shows.

(sorry for the picture)
003-8.jpg

004-10.jpg

005-10.jpg

Elmo, She's a Dutch. (brood??)

013-5.jpg

Spider-Man, He's a Blue Dutch. (very special,Brood)

014-2.jpg

015-3.jpg

Lance, Hes will be 3 years old in July. Mini Rex (Brood)

016-4.jpg

018-5.jpg

Hachi, Shes an Mini Rex. (show) Took 2nd when a little younger in Feb.

022-3.jpg

Chipette, She's an Mini Rex (show??) Does this look like Molting??

011-3.jpg

LIONHEADS

Alex the Lion. He's 10 weeks old.

038-3.jpg

039-1.jpg

Leo. The Daddy of the babies ( not keeping)

019-4.jpg

Ariel. The Momma. (might not keep)

035-1.jpg

037-2.jpg

~The Babies~ They are 6 weeks old... Are any of these babies going to have a mane???

(Girl) Chestnut
024-4.jpg

(Boy) Harlequin

030-2.jpg

028-4.jpg

(Boy) Chestnut.. The Big BOY!

031-3.jpg

They're all so cute - I'm partial to the lionhead Alex.

I see you mention that some won awards, for a non-breeder what does winning at a show mean? Or does winning only help if you breed them? (sorry newbie)

Tweetiepy wrote:
They're all so cute - I'm partial to the lionhead Alex.

I see you mention that some won awards, for a non-breeder what does winning at a show mean? Or does winning only help if you breed them? (sorry newbie)
I believe that the winnings go a toward the pedigree and if they are good like grand champions it goes good on hes pedigree and the babies they produce... Like, when you go to a show or a website and see rabbits that are pricey in price. That means that they are good/great rabbits. like example, some breeders that I saw they had rabbits for $160.00 for a bun and the rabbit is a grand champion, ect... But it takes a lot to get to Grand Champion.

My rabbits only got 2nd place.. It's not the greatest, But the judge told me that my bunny is young yet, And would be a great Bun!....

Anybody else can help with this???

Winning at a show just proves that the rabbit is very good quality. Even if you are not a breeder, winning still gets you ribbons and a sense of pride, knowing you invested your money wisely in a very nice rabbit.

If a rabbit wins in a class that has at least five rabbits and three exhibitors, they will win a "leg." They can also win legs if they get Best of Variety, Best Opposite of Variety, Best of Group, Best Opposite of Group, Best Opposite of Breed, Best of Breed, or Best in Show as long as they competed against at least 5 rabbits shown by at least 3 exhibitors to get that title. Once a rabbit has 3 "legs," they can be registered as a Grand Cahmpion.

And looking at your Lionheads, it appears that Alex the Lion will not have a complete mane, but may have a very full bib. His fur on his body is too long, but hopefull that'll shed out.

The male Chestnut may keep a bit of his mane, but the other two don't look as if they'll have much of a mane. The Harlequin may keep a tiny bit as well, but not nearly enough.

Plus, since they're Lionheads, it's always extremely difficult to guess how they'll be as adults, sincevery fewshed out exactly the same way.

mistyjr wrote:
Anybody?? :bump:bump
It would be helpful if you were a little more specific with your questions. You said you are trying to figure out what to do - what are you trying to do?

So are you looking for advice on who to keep and who to sell ect? I think that as far as the lionheads go you need to pose them for anyone to properly critique them. Honestly looking at all of the lionheads I have seen and doing my research I would say sell all the lionheads and look for some new stock. You want to find rabbits with good type and strong manes and from the pics it looks like those manes aren't going to stay very impressive through adulthood. But of course that is jut my oppinion and I am so new to this that I could be completely wrong.

With the 2nd place winnings how many rabbits were being judged? If it is 2nd of 2 or 3 that is very different from being 2nd out of 8 or 9.

wooly_queen wrote:
Finchy! :D

That little harley is so cute. XD
Yeah! Your picture as promised! You asked me to get a new picture of her, Even little Lance is on there!

countrybuns wrote:
So are you looking for advice on who to keep and who to sell ect? I think that as far as the lionheads go you need to pose them for anyone to properly critique them. Honestly looking at all of the lionheads I have seen and doing my research I would say sell all the lionheads and look for some new stock. You want to find rabbits with good type and strong manes and from the pics it looks like those manes aren't going to stay very impressive through adulthood. But of course that is jut my oppinion and I am so new to this that I could be completely wrong.

With the 2nd place winnings how many rabbits were being judged? If it is 2nd of 2 or 3 that is very different from being 2nd out of 8 or 9.
Yeah, I was already thinking about selling the momma and I already knew of selling the daddy and the babies, But Im not selling Alex due to its husbands rabbit and the kids really love him the best.

And Yes, I love opinions and advice on my rabbits. What a good bunny,ect

And Thanks! :big wink:

Edit: Rewards
Sue went to 2 shows and both have been 2nd place of 2. But the last show they said she haves a open coat. So now Im feeding the show bunnies a special supplement stuff that is for show buns.. But I have a show in July, And I will see what the judges will say this time. It wont hurt to see what the judges say this time.. Every judge is different

mistyjr wrote:
sorry... I want people to tell me what they think of my rabbits?

For pets, I think they are fine ;)

What are your goals? Are you selling to the pet market? Do you want to be a top exhibitor in the nation? How much are you willing to spend on new breeding stock? What is your favorite breed out of the ones you have and which variety would you like to focus on?

Without goals, it's impossible to set a path to success!

pamnock wrote:
mistyjr wrote:
sorry... I want people to tell me what they think of my rabbits?

For pets, I think they are fine ;)

What are your goals? Are you selling to the pet market? Do you want to be a top exhibitor in the nation? How much are you willing to spend on new breeding stock? What is your favorite breed out of the ones you have and which variety would you like to focus on?

Without goals, it's impossible to set a path to success!
So, are you saying that none of these rabbits are good?? Im just wondering.. Im not mad or anything.. But I got 3 rabbits that are showable at least I know of.

I am selling rabbits at Shows, Local Ad. But I havent sold any rabbits yet.. The most I have spent on rabbits was $30.00. I have spent $30.00 on the Mini Rex's and $30.00 on the Rex that was $50.00.
Telling you the turth. I really wanted to get with the LionHeads, Jersey Wooly, And Mini Rex's. I love color, Brokens, Torts, ect. That was it.
But I couldnt. I wasnt allowed to. So I had to do whatever the person wanted to do. That is why I have bad rabbit's like the Dutch's. I'm thinking about selling the Dutch Doe, The LionHeads except the newer baby due its my husbands like I said. My Aunt got me into these rabbits and showing them. Yes, I love it. It gives me a hobby and something to do other then raising kids. I love going out and meeting new people without my aunt being there telling me what I can have and what I cant have. *blah, Blah*, Like I told "Peg", I told her that I trust all you guys then my own aunt. She tries to make me buy these non-showable rabbits. As she says, That You can get the best babies out of the worthless rabbits.
I know everyone isnt a top breeder.. Its hard to be one. But its takes years. It would be nice, But it will be hard having a family thinks she better then you are.*blah, blah again"

I think that maybe for now you should pick one breed and focus on it. Rather than owning 12 lesser quality rabbits start with a trio of good quality rabbits and start from there. If you want to sell at shows then you want to be selling rabbits you are proud of and like you said keep your aunt out of it because she seems to be encouraging you to make mistakes.

Once you are established with that breed and feel succesful if you want to expand on that breed go for it or if you want to start with a second breed then that would be a good time but I just think starting out it is too hard to try and breed all these different breeds. Again just my oppinion.

countrybuns wrote:
I think that maybe for now you should pick one breed and focus on it. Rather than owning 12 lesser quality rabbits start with a trio of good quality rabbits and start from there. If you want to sell at shows then you want to be selling rabbits you are proud of and like you said keep your aunt out of it because she seems to be encouraging you to make mistakes.

Once you are established with that breed and feel succesful if you want to expand on that breed go for it or if you want to start with a second breed then that would be a good time but I just think starting out it is too hard to try and breed all these different breeds. Again just my oppinion.
You are right! But I just cant Easily do that.. Because I have gotten Finch the wooly and Lance the chocolate Mini Rex both from Briana (wooly_queen), And I cant get rid of them and the LionHead Buck baby i cant because hes my hubby and i like the breed. And Spider-Man he will be problly be just a pet, Because hes been threw a lot in life. When he was about 8-9 weeks old my pug fractured hes leg and had to get some TLC. And last month he chocked on hes pellets and i had to save hes life or he would have been dead. So hes a keeper,

But, I do love the help you guys are giving me! I really do, Just dont know what I should do.

Latest posts

Back