My rabbits neak is leaning to one side, what should I do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys...I also am having problems with headtilt...not with Emmit, but with Dini. We just brought herhome tonight, and although I noticed it when I met her,Ithought it was just the way her head was. I should have knownbetter. It's a symptom of Pasteurella. We'regetting the medication from the vet tomorrow. She isn'tsevere like any of the pictures I saw on the posts, but just slightenough to notice.

The woman from the rabbit rescue told me that it would clear up withthe medicine. She is also sneezing and stuff too, which arethe other symptoms of Pasteurella...

Anyone with any other information, please add...I'm trying not to worrybecause she's totally fine other than that. She's eating welland she has normal poops, and is running around all happy...haven'tseen her do any binkys yet, but this is her first night in her newhouse, so hopefully that will be to come...anyway, like I said, pleasecomment!

-Carrie

PS: I'm not touching Emmit without washing hands so he won'tget it...is there any other way he could get it even if I wash my handsafter petting her...He is two floors above her bytheway.

DaisyNBuster wrote:
Gabby - You are such an Angel to go through all that with Brice. He isone lucky bunny to have you as his Mummy. Much respect going yourway!!!!!! :)

Vickie
what mummy wouldn't do that fortheir for their baby:)

Emmits_mom wrote:
Hi guys...I also am having problems with head tilt...notwith Emmit, but with Dini. We just brought her home tonight,and although I noticed it when I met her,I thought it wasjust the way her head was. I should have knownbetter. It's a symptom of Pasteurella. We'regetting the medication from the vet tomorrow. She isn'tsevere like any of the pictures I saw on the posts, but just slightenough to notice.

The woman from the rabbit rescue told me that it would clear up withthe medicine. She is also sneezing and stuff too, which arethe other symptoms of Pasteurella...

Anyone with any other information, please add...I'm trying not to worrybecause she's totally fine other than that. She's eating welland she has normal poops, and is running around all happy...haven'tseen her do any binkys yet, but this is her first night in her newhouse, so hopefully that will be to come...anyway, like I said, pleasecomment!

-Carrie

PS: I'm not touching Emmit without washing hands so he won'tget it...is there any other way he could get it even if I wash my handsafter petting her...He is two floors above her bytheway.
while some agrue the point, you can treat the symptoms ofpasturella but it never fully goes away. i would change clothes betweenhandling them. best of luck

Doc or Gabby,

Should Emmit and Dini be completely separated?

Carrie, you're in my thoughts and prayers.

I'm so sorry Dini's sick. :(

-Carolyn

Gabby wrote:
while some agrue thepoint, you can treat the symptoms of pasturella but it never fully goesaway. i would change clothes between handling them. best of luck

I agree with Gabby that Dini's symptoms may temporarily subside, bit she may still be a carrier.

The first step would be to have a blood test done to try to identify the pathogen so the proper antibiotic can be used.

The primary mode of transmission of the Pasteurella to Emmit would beDini's sneezing or having direct contact with Emmit.Pasteurella can spread very easily through direct contact, so I thinkit's important to keep them permanently apart, as Emmit will becomemore vulnerable as he ages.

Pam

pamnock wrote:

The primary mode of transmission of the Pasteurella to Emmit would beDini's sneezing or having direct contact with Emmit.Pasteurella can spread very easily through direct contact, so I thinkit's important to keep them permanently apart, as Emmit will becomemore vulnerable as he ages.

Pam

Permanently apart? Our vet told us that almost all rabbitshave it but do not have symptoms, so emmit may already haveit. I'm so confused. she said we could introducethem when they have both recovered fully. What should I do?

-Carrie

PS: Pam, please know I am not trying to disprove your adviceor your authority on bunnies. I am just surprised.

Hi Carrie,

I've never heard of all rabbits having Pasturella and not showing signsof it. Mites? Yes. Pasturella, No.Everything I've ever read or heard about it from my vets on down havesaid what Pam has stated about it.

I also don't believe they ever 'recover' from it. Once theyhave it, the best you can do is to try to treat the symptoms, but theinfection is still in them. As Gabby said, they can still bea carrier.

:(

-Carolyn

Emmits_mom wrote:
pamnock wrote:

Pam

Permanently apart? Our vet told us that almost all rabbitshave it but do not have symptoms, so emmit may already haveit. I'm so confused. she said we could introducethem when they have both recovered fully. What should I do?

-Carrie

PS: Pam, please know I am not trying to disprove your adviceor your authority on bunnies. I am just surprised.
See my vet dissagrees there. just becauseit goes into remission does not mean it is no longercontagous. Every person has a bit of staff, e. coli and otherbacterias on their body, however if it gets out of hand it can kill,not only that person but others who come in contact withit. I was going to compare to Certainother problems, that are advertized on TV (std's) however butwith young veiwers changes tatics, however with that mention you mightknow what i mean. Hope i was not too confusing or bold

Based on all of theresearch that I did on Pasturella when Sherman was ill and I was tryingto determine if that is what he had, EVERYTHING that Dr. Pam, Carolyn,and Gabby says is true.

I don't mean to be indelicate, Carrie,and I in no way have an "attitude" when I post this, but there's no wayin the world that I would let any bunny who has Pasturella get nearSherman. I hope this doesn't offend you. I justwant to be truthful.

Good luck in all of this. My heart really goes out to Emmit and you. :(

i think we need to get a test to make sure thatwhat she has is really pasturella. I'm just so surprised thatwe wouldn't be able to allow the two bond. That's why we gother. I'm going to call the rescue woman and the vet...Ireally hope this all works out. I'm just so disappointed.

Many, but not all rabbits harbor Pasteurella. Those showing no symptoms can still pass it on to other rabbits.

The most important thing to do is identify the pathogen. Myfriend had some rabbits which occasionally sneezed and sometimes showeda little nasal discharge. She had blood tests done on themand none showed positive for Pasteurella or Bordatella exposure.

Most certainly, as long as Dini is showing symptoms, I would not expose Emmit to her.

In the end, it will be your choice as to what you decide todo. I would just like to see that you are presented with allthe available information so that you will be able to make an educatedchoice as to whether or not to house the rabbits together.

Also, put some thought into whether it is wise to have Dinispayed. The stress factors may be too much for her due to herillness at this time.

Good Luck! You have my full support and understanding, no matter what you decide to do!!!

Pam

pamnock wrote:
I would just like to see that you are presented with all theavailable information so that you will be able to make an educatedchoice as to whether or not to house the rabbits together.

Pam
YES, PAM! Thanks so much forposting this! This is my goal. I don't think thatCarrie really has all of the facts in right now about thissituation. Armed with the proper and CORRECT knowledge shecan make the best choices for both the human and bunny members of herfamily. Right now I don't think that she has all of the infothat she needs.

P.S.Gabby, I caught the "drift" of where you were going in your last postand I totally agree. Actually I was thinking the samething. Thank you for your honesty andtact.

BunnyMommy wrote:
P.S. Gabby, I caughtthe "drift" of where you were going in your last post and I totallyagree. Actually I was thinking the samething. Thank you for your honesty andtact.
i like comparatives,for some reason that helps me best. and at least i know my"drift" was being caught lol

I've called the vet, and I"m waiting for her tocall me back (she's with a patient). If Dini does end up tohave it, and Emmit doesn't, then I'm not sure what we'll do.I know her foster family wouldn' mind having her back, since they justloved her. We just don't have the space or time at all tokeep 2 bunnies in separate areas. We can do it temporarily,but it can't be a permanent situation. I'm so sad.I want Emmit to havea friend, and Dini is sospecial. I guess this is good that we found this out beforewe had more time to bond with her. SIGH :( :(

-Carrie

PS: Emmit is doing better....he's washing himself now, although alittle drowsy, is doing a good job...We weren't planning on gettingDini spayed until she was ready, but because she seemed so happy, wedidn't think it would be a problem...but noweverything haschanged.

We also appreciate everyone's comments...but also remember that this isa huge shock to us and we were totally caught off guard. We werelooking for a friend for Emmit ever since we got him...Just when wethought we were almost at the end, this happens. I'm so gladwe know, but it's also very sad :(

Carrie, I'm soserious when I say that my heart goes out to all of you. Ijust want to grab you all in a big bear hug. I hesitated tosay anything for a while, but when the others started to present thetruth I had to put in my .02 cents. I feel certain that youhaven't been given the most complete and accurate information by yourvet and rescue person.

May I make a little suggestion?Do some Internet reasearch for yourself on the subject starting withthe House Rabbit Society's site(www.rabbit.org ). HRS is the premier expert (in my opinion) onall things rabbits. Maybe even find a vet who specializes inbunnies on their website and ask his/her opinion.

I realize that you're in shock rightnow. Just so glad that you have an open mind about all ofthis. HUGE hugs to all of you.

Aww, Carrie.

I knew that posting to Doc and Gabby about keeping them completelyseparate would alarm you, but as the Doc said, you had to have all theinformation to make an informed decision.

I truly hope that Ms. Dini doesn't have it. There's a chance of that,too, ya know! I think somewhere along the line when I first posted toyou to keep them separate until you find out whether it's Pasturella orallergies to be safe rather than sorry, I was going to bum you out. Wecould be wrong and it could be allergies, but the head tilt is a worry.Time will tell.

You're certainly in my mind, thoughts, and prayers. I know how excitedyou were to get Dini and how much you love her as it is. At least, ifworst comes to worst, she can go back to her foster home.

You've really been thrown a curve ball if she does have it. I know thiswas horribly shocking for you. I agree with the Doc about waiting toget her spayed until you get on the other side of this problem.

You're very much in my mind. Glad to hear that Emmit seems to be doing okay.

-Carolyn

P.S. I brought back the post BunnyMommy gave us, "Lessons I'veLearned..." You might be encouraged by what you read in there. I dohope it helps. If nothing else, you'll see how much BunnyMommy has comein her short stint as a 'bunny mommy'. She too was thrown into aboiling pot, but it all turned out okay.

Okay, well I've called the vet, I've called Lindawho runs the rescue, and I've talked to Dini's old fosterparents. They (her fosters) never had a bunny before, theywere the ones who found her and wanted to make sure she got a goodhome, but they didn't know bunnies. The only thing is thatthey did say that her sneezing/sniffles never fully went away, so itsounds like she's always had something, whether or not it ispasturella, we don't know yet. Another thing they said, thatwhen I mentioned the head tilt, Kim (her foster mom) said she onlystarted noticing it within the past 2 weeks, but didn't think anythingof it...she just figured it was something that bunnies did.The vet had seen Dini a month and half ago and didn't notice it theneither, so it is obviously a new development, which makes menervous. It sounds as if she is getting sicker. Westill have her on Bachel (sp?), and give it to her crushed up on abanana every 12 hours.

Linda told us until we know for sure that she doesn't have it that weshould just consider Dini as a foster rabbit, and that we're doing hera favor. Her old foster parents can't take her back again,and that's fine because she's probalby in better care withus. But really, we can only take her as a foster if she issick because there is no way we can keep 2 bunnies the way we are rightnow. We wouldn't be able to give them enough attention, itjust wouldn't be fair to them or us. I hope you all know whatI mean.

So now, that's what we're doing. We are just hoping themedicine will make her feel better, and see how it goes from there.We've postponed her surgery at least another week. Linda alsosaid that if things don't work with Dini, there is another rabbit whoshe thinks would get along with well with Emmit.

Blech...I have to go now and start my papers for my class...thisday/week has been tough, and I've been putting off school...better getback into the groove.

-Carrie

Latest posts

Back