My rabbits neak is leaning to one side, what should I do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

octet23

Reaction score
HELP!!!! One morning I went out to feed myrabbit, Mocha Sprinkles, and I noticed her neak is leaning to one sideand she was rolling over and having trouble getting up at least onceevery ten minutes, WHAT SHOULD I DO??????????????/

:(Please help me

octet23 wrote:
HELP!!!! One morning I went out to feed my rabbit, MochaSprinkles, and I noticed her neak is leaning to one side and she wasrolling over and having trouble getting up at least once every tenminutes, WHAT SHOULD I DO??????????????/

:(Please help me
how long ago was this? i would run to your nearest rabbit vet asap...

I've seen a few cases of wry neck.There is one person who posts on this forum who has a bunny who had wryneck, and she did a lot of work with him. The bunny still hasa tilted neck/head, but otherwise is "okay", from what itsounds. I can't remember that person's name rightnow. How long ago did you notice this?

-Dolores

Dolores Lindvall wrote:
I've seen a few cases of wry neck. There is oneperson who posts on this forum who has a bunny who had wry neck, andshe did a lot of work with him. The bunny still has a tiltedneck/head, but otherwise is "okay", from what it sounds. Ican't remember that person's name right now. How long ago didyou notice this?

-Dolores
thats me and my rabbit Brice.

Her neak started leaning to one side about 2 days ago, should I take her to a vet?

Yes, thats what her neak looks like,in the picture

octet23 wrote:
Her neak started leaning to one side about 2 days ago, should I take her to a vet?
it is extreamly serious, they can die from it, so yes I wouldsay go to the vet ASAP, then it can be derterminded what the cause is,which can be anything from an inner ear infection, to a stroketo lesions on the brain, or a number of other things like aninjurry. they may want to draw blood or takex-rays. our thoughts are with you. Keep us posted

You must trust Gabby, Octet23.

Thoughts and prayers are with you.

-Carolyn

octet23 wrote:

Yes, thats what her neak looks like,in the picture
that picture is of him better now at his worst he was standing ontop of his head totally upside down

Today I called many vets to see ifthey treated rabbits and all of them do but, most of them cost like 24$or higher for just the office call,I dont know what to do

:(

I really do think your bunny needs to go. I wouldtake them whatever the cost. Not to sound offensive but if you cantafford the vet, you cant afford the pet. If it is serious it needs tobe treated.

Hope everything goes okay for you whatever you decide,

Siobhan xxx

QTbunnies wrote:
Ireally do think your bunny needs to go. I would take them whatever thecost. Not to sound offensive but if you cant afford the vet, you cantafford the pet. If it is serious it needs to be treated.

Siobhan xxx
Yes, that was taken offensively, I am 13 years old, I have NO job. and My mom thinks it is stupid to take a rabbit to the vet

if your mum is happy for you to have a pet thenshe should take responsibility for any vets bills. if you are a lowincome family do you not have any vet charitys that can help with costwe do in the uk.

octet23 wrote:
QTbunnies wrote:

Yes, that was taken offensively, I am 13 years old, I have NO job. and My mom thinks it is stupid to take a rabbit to the vet

Please don't takeoffense :)? Siobhan was merely pointing outthat your rabbit needs treatment. You comment surprises and shocks me-I cannot believe that your Mum would let you have a rabbitbut would not pay for veterinary treatment and thinks its stupid! Whyever did she let you get one in the first place. You have already beentold that this is a potentially fatal thing for your bun to have - doesyou Mum know this? Please think about what you have been told in thispost. I am sure if you are really short of money there is some sort offunding available - I'm not sure about this, butthere is inUK - maybe someone fromwhere you live might be able to helphere. All Siobhan is thinking about is the best for yourrabbit. Hope everything works out for you.

Vickie

Oh Man! Okay, Gabby, couldyou share with her what you had to do with Brice? I don'tknow about all of the vets, but here in my partof the country, most of the vets treat hogs, cattle, dogs, and cats,and that's about it. (Just try finding a vet for askunk!) A few years ago, there was very little knownabout wry neck, and most rabbits just ended up dead. I knowthat there has been research in the past few years, but I've been awayfrom current news on it. At one time, my vet told me to tryinjectable penicillin. Depending on what is causing the wryneck, this could help. It did for one of mine.

And, yes, death is possible.

Gabby???

- Dolores

Hey everyone, I just found a way to help myrabbit without taking her to a vet. :)um, Pam told me one wayto help her... It is to get Ivermectin and to administer one smear aday to her tongue. Also to get Terramyacin or Neomycin powder and tomix one teaspoon per gallon into the water I feed my bunny. Also togive her Nurtri Cal to make her hungrier

:):):):)

Ihavent tried this yet meaning everything is closed but I hope it works

Hmm... Your information could very well betrue. However, I might question spending the money on thatrather than going to the vet. Ivermectin is used for thetreatment of parasites. It is a commmon ingredient inheartworm pills (for dogs) and other such anti-parasiticmedacations. It can even be used in humans in somecases. However, I have a hard time understanding how thiscould help fix your rabbit's neck, as parasites seem to be an unlikelycause. Similarly, Terramyacin is simply ananti-biotic. This is more likely to have effect thanivermectin, but I'm still not convinced it is the right path totake. However, I could be mistaken, just wanted to offer myadvice and hopefully help prevent wasted money for you... Good luck!

octet23 wrote:
QTbunnies wrote:
I really dothink your bunny needs to go. I would take them whatever the cost. Notto sound offensive but if you cant afford the vet, you cant afford thepet. If it is serious it needs to be treated.

Siobhan xxx

Chill! I am 13 years old and i understand the importance of taking arabbit to the vets. I have no job but my mum also understands theimportance of taking a rabbit to the vets. Ther condition you desribeis a serious one. Trust Gabby.

FriendOfTheBunnies wrote:
Hmm... Your information could very well be true.However, I might question spending the money on that rather than goingto the vet. Ivermectin is used for the treatment ofparasites. It is a commmon ingredient in heartworm pills (fordogs) and other such anti-parasitic medacations. It can evenbe used in humans in some cases. However, I have a hard timeunderstanding how this could help fix your rabbit's neck, as parasitesseem to be an unlikely cause. Similarly, Terramyacin issimply an anti-biotic. This is more likely to have effectthan ivermectin, but I'm still not convinced it is the right path totake. However, I could be mistaken, just wanted to offer myadvice and hopefully help prevent wasted money for you... Goodluck!

EEEEKKKKKKKK friend of the bunnies you be soundin very wise there!!!

Back