My rabbits neak is leaning to one side, what should I do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hehe, not really.. I just have vets for parentsand several friends. SO I've heard a lot of talk.and actually, it is a feasable opinion that parasites are involved insuch neck problems. THe trouble is that is not usually theactuall cause, just a contributing factor. Therefore, killingthe parasites might help, but the origional problem still remainsuntouched.But anyways, thats just my two cents, Iknow I am not a vet andcould be mistaken... I just hope itworks out for the better!

E. cuniculi is a common protozoan parasite inrabbits that is "suspected" of contributing to wry neck. Istill think the verdict is out on whether or not the parasite is theprimary factor or a secondary symptom due to a depressed immunesystem. Currently, it is a widely accepted theory that E.cuniculi is involved in a large number of cases of wry neck.Dr. Wendy Feaga of Maryland has done some extensive research on wryneckand found that a high percentage of the rabbits affected had been, atthevery least, exposed to the parasite. A lesscommon pathogen was Pasteurella. The results of Wendy'sstudies were published in the Domestic Rabbits magazine.

Pam

hmmm.... well spores could be the cause of thewry neck if the problem was an ear infection. The other medicine wouldbe for killing the spores

The Terramyacin and Neomycin are broad spectrumantibiotics that would help to treat the bacterial infection that isoften present in conjunction with the parasite. There aremore effective meds., but these would only be available by prescriptionfrom the vet. I also recommendanti-inflammatories.Aggressive treatment is needed,hence the recommendation to go to the vet. I'm assumingthat's not going to happen, so I suggested an alternative.Ideally, blood tests would confirm what antibodies the rabbit isproducing, and allow the vet to prescribe the most effectivemedicines. This is however, rather expensive ($70+ for bloodtests alone plus cost of office visit). With medications, thebill can easily climb to over $200.

Pam

Good luck with whichever way you decide to treatyour bunny. I am truly sorry that you took what I wrote offensively, Ididnt intend it to be taken in that way. I also didnt realisethat you would be relying on your mother for vetinary costs.

All I was saying is that thiscondition isserious and needs to be seen to.

Lots of love to your bunny,

Siobhan xxx

Dr. Wendy Feaga is the name I was trying to thinkof. And I do remember back a few years ago that she was doinga lot of research on wry neck, and I also remember the mention ofparasites. Pam, I think you are right on the money!

Like Pam, I wish that bunny could get to a vet, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

- Dolores

Dolores Lindvall wrote:
Oh Man! Okay, Gabby, could you sharewith her what you had to do with Brice? I don't knowabout all of the vets, but here in my part ofthe country, most of the vets treat hogs, cattle, dogs, and cats, andthat's about it. (Just try finding a vet for askunk!) A few years ago, there was very little knownabout wry neck, and most rabbits just ended up dead. I knowthat there has been research in the past few years, but I've been awayfrom current news on it. At one time, my vet told me to tryinjectable penicillin. Depending on what is causing the wryneck, this could help. It did for one of mine.

And, yes, death is possible.

Gabby???

- Dolores
We have been gone all day today for a wedding.
I can share about Brice's treatment, however depending onthe cause of her rabbits head tilt determines what meds will work.
He was on an antibiotic 3 times a day, and an ear drop,plus when his head was severally tilted a steroid, which there is somealarm in steroid use according to some that it can be harmful in somecases, however when the choice comes down to possible death or trying anot always safe treatment I chose the med. I also massagedhis neck every day and exercise his neck turning it in the oppositedirection of the tilt very gently. He had an extremely hardtime eating so I force fed him with baby food and a mix of criticalcare, offered him alfalfa hay because he could eat it tilted. Since hewasn't eating hardly anything on his own the extras in the alfalfa weregood for him. he ate some greens which helped keep himhydrated. But for those not eating greens or drinking SQ fluids wouldbe necessary. I gave him small short dishes that he couldrest the side of his head on and eat out of without lifting hishead. So once he was trying to eat he did usethese. I had to wash him up the first couple weeks he had afew baths because he would roll and get upset and pee while he wasrolling and be soaked in his own pee, he also got poo stuck to himselfas well, not being able to eat his own night feces he got those stuckall over himself and I would clean them off daily. He had asmall area to be confined in I created an area in his cage to confinehim so he didn't flip all over the cage but only in one small area toprevent injury. He also from rolling and having one eye down to theground irritated his eye so had an eye ointment to keep it lubed andhelp reduce irritation.
it was a long process, and with every tiny improvement i wasextreamly happy. Jumped for joy. and from hisVideo's that i posted you can see(those we can veiw his video) that heloves his romps about the house now.
We have thought about acupuncture or other treatment forhis slight tilt, but I think for him personally it would be far tostressful, as it was he wouldn't walk when i took him to work with mehe would just flip out, so I had to video tape him running around andtake the video cam in for the vet to watch. The day I hadtaken him in to show his improvement I set him on the rug in the examroom and he jumped straght into my arms and refused to movefor the vet.

FriendOfTheBunnies wrote:
Hehe, not really.. I just have vets for parents and severalfriends. SO I've heard a lot of talk. and actually,it is a feasable opinion that parasites are involved in such neckproblems. THe trouble is that is not usually the actuallcause, just a contributing factor. Therefore, killing theparasites might help, but the origional problem still remainsuntouched.But anyways, thats just my two cents, Iknow I am not a vet andcould be mistaken... I just hope itworks out for the better!
well i guess you get extreamly reasonable priced vet care LOL sorry to tempting lol

What types of animals do your parents see?Does one tend to animals the other does not?

Gabby wrote:
Hehe, not really.. I just have vets for parents and severalfriends. SO I've heard a lot of talk. and actually,it is a feasable opinion that parasites are involved in such neckproblems. THe trouble is that is not usually the actuallcause, just a contributing factor. Therefore, killing theparasites might help, but the origional problem still remainsuntouched.But anyways, thats just my two cents, Iknow I am not a vet andcould be mistaken... I just hope itworks out for the better!
well i guess you get extreamly reasonable priced vet care LOL sorry to tempting lol

What types of animals do your parents see?Does one tend to animals the other does not?

I suppose you could say my vet bills are cheaper.. but not really, itsthe drug companies, distributersand labs that get most of thebenefit (not the vet), despite common public belief. Andobviosly, I still have to pay those. :p

My parents mostly do dogs, cats, ferrets, and rabbits. Dadprefers the dogs and cats, while mom does the rabbits andferrets.

I suppose you could say my vet bills are cheaper.. but notreally, its the drug companies, distributersand labs that getmost of the benefit (not the vet), despite common publicbelief. And obviosly, I still have to pay those.:p

My parents mostly do dogs, cats, ferrets, and rabbits. Dadprefers the dogs and cats, while mom does the rabbits andferrets.
I work for a vet office so i know what we pay for stuff andwhat we charge for the most part. We are one of the lowercost ones around but good at what we do, So much to the pointat times we have to not take on any new ones at times.

Do they do any of their own lab work or is all of it sent out? We do certain stuff in house and send other things out.

We see cats dogs, rabbits, ferrets, Gpigs and rats, a few bird clippings here and there.

Dolores Lindvall wrote:
Dr. Wendy Feaga is the name I was trying to thinkof. And I do remember back a few years ago that she was doinga lot of research on wry neck, and I also remember the mention ofparasites. Pam, I think you are right on the money!

Like Pam, I wish that bunny could get to a vet, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

- Dolores

As FriendOfTheBunnies pointed out, it's very likely that the parasiteis secondary -- taking advantage of a weakened immune system.Antibiotics can be helpful, but it's important to use the properantibiotic, thereforethe actual pathogen needs to beidentified. Sadly, it's not a simple solution, so I offeredsome ideas when there is no option of using a vet.

Some of our friends from Maryland have Wendy as their vet -- lucky ducks LOL

Pam

Ok this is so outta my league...............BUTi am a mother of 2 girls and i have pets and i know thatmy girls being 8 and 6 i HAVE to pay for there pets bills!!! Not to ripon anyone but dont you know this is par for the course when you own apet and your child is a juvenile?? I think your mom should pay for avets visit..if your bun is sick....i mean if you own a pet doesnt sheknow animals get sick too??!! ACK! sorry but it makes me mad to seewhen a parent gets there kid a pet and all of a sudden dont want to payif it gets ill! :(

Buck, what a brilliant link, definately worth aread, even for someone whos rabbit hasn't got wry neck - veryimformative, as usual!

Octet23 - You being a young girl yourself, it must be heartbreaking foryou to see your bunny like that! It was breaking my heart when I sawthe picture of Brice and those bunnies on that site thatBucklinked - I really feel for you at this hard time and hopethat your Mum will take your rabbit to the vet. Please keep us informedon whatever happens - We will be here for you.

Vickie

Hey yall!!!! Last night Mocha Sprinkles was ather worst so far. She was doing alot of stargazing and was pantingalot. But, today she will walk up to me and listen to me talk to her,and her neck is not leaning alot, is this a good sign or a bad sign?

DaisyNBuster wrote:
Gabby - You are such an Angel to go through all that withBrice. He is one lucky bunny to have you as his Mummy. Much respectgoing your way!!!!!! :)

Vickie

I agree completely! Thats one lucky bun! :)

Back