My bunny hates me

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glynisht

Reaction score
For months my boyfriend and I have been researching getting a bunny. We looked into EVERYTHING and finally decided it was time to give it a shot. Our nearest House Rabbit Society was a little bit too far for us to go the amount of times they expected, so reluctantly, we went to our local mom & pop pet store that we've loved for all our other pets. Two days in a row we visited this beautiful, HUGE 1.5 year old lion headImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1407431963.088337.jpg female that had been donated to the pet store by her previous owner, all along with her sister (who did not get along and lived in a separate cage-- NOT BONDED). The sister had already been sold. In the store, bun was very timid, a little fidgety when picked up, but seemed to like people.
So we brought her home three days ago and named her Bucket. The first day she explored the apartment, let me put bows in her fluffy mane, and let me groom all of her hair. The second day she avoided us when it was time to pick her up and go back in her cage, but was manageable.
Yesterday, when I went to feed her a piece of Timothy Hay which she seemed to like before, she growled/barked then jumped and bit me. For the rest of the day, even when I gave her space, she would thump at me, especially my boyfriend, even when in her own cage, which we do not invade. She bit me again this morning when I was picking up old lettuce and a baby carrot she didn't eat. (Rabbit who won't eat carrots, weird.)
I understand that this process takes time, but her behavior seems particularly volatile. I would love suggestions. I'm giving her as much space as I can, but I would feel SO much more comfortable if I could clip her nails, I'm a pro at clipping with cats I've had, and I'd feel safer if she couldn't scratch my face off. Advice?

It's only been three days, it takes time for a rabbit to get adjusted to their new home. I suggest just sit quietly on the floor and let her come to you on her terms.

As long as she's eating and drinking fairly normal, you can probably rule out any illness or pain. There's always an adjustment period for changes in scenery (if you ever move or switch her rooms, she may need to readjust again).

My suggestion is: Bribery. Buns have the maturity level of toddlers and love treats. You'll want to stick with healthier stuff in small portions like a tiny bite of apple or banana (my Charlie LOVES bananas). Charlie's even been bribed out of sour moods with new toys (he's an 11 year old bun who still hates us to move around his stuff to clean his kennel).

She'll warm up to you with patience and then you won't be able to shake her. And what a little fluffy face!!!!

PS: Charlie, too, hates carrots. I guess our fluffs missed that day at bun school.

I've read that first article on bonding with your bun and it kind of confused me because she displays a lot of the relaxed/safe bunny "positions" like grooming and laying out long and flat, but then within minutes bites me.
Thanks Jewels for the thoughtful response, I picked up some yogurt/Timothy treats today and she ate one out of my hand (yay!). I also got some wood toys to file down those chompers next time she feels peckish for my hands. I will continue the bribery and try to find more treats that she likes.

I've read that first article on bonding with your bun and it kind of confused me because she displays a lot of the relaxed/safe bunny "positions" like grooming and laying out long and flat, but then within minutes bites me.
Thanks Jewels for the thoughtful response, I picked up some yogurt/Timothy treats today and she ate one out of my hand (yay!). I also got some wood toys to file down those chompers next time she feels peckish for my hands. I will continue the bribery and try to find more treats that she likes.

Just wanted to pop in here quickly to say don't feed the yogurt treats!!! Bunnies are not supposed to have yogurt even though the petstores say they are fine. It's much better to feed a raisin or two, some apple, or a little piece of banana. Sorry hope I don't sound rude just felt that I had to let you know. ;)

Biting...describe the pressure put into it. I understand the growling and thumping is a bad sign, but young rabbits often get nibbly when they start out. Its sort of like their learning to use it to get attention, to warn you off, or to convey they want something. One of my bunnies bit me often, then I came to realize its not really a bite because if he really wanted to he'd hurt me real bad. So what kind of bite is it?

Secondly you write nothing about her being fixed. Hormones could be playing into it as well. Problem is at over a year, it not might be a habit which will be hard to brake out of.

Now have you tried making a high pitch whine when she bites? It lets her know that was not good. Treats are good when your trying to positive reinforcement. But like others said it might be a a time thing. Let her truly get used to you for a time before you think she hates you.

I think the poor girl bunnies get pretty bad rushes of hormones when they are teenagers. Spaying will help with that.

I think the girls can get really territorial about their cage, they don't want anyone messing with their stuff, moving it around, or taking it away, even if its an old carrot sitting at the bottom of the cage.

If it were me I'd hand feed her all her pellets and treats so that you are the keeper of all things good and she has to be nice to get them. I would also do the hand feeding of treats and pellets outside of her space, so she doesn't get territorial about it.

Latest posts

Back