Quantcast

My bunny ate a pary of a hiacynty seed HELP!

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

Joined
May 14, 2019
Messages
5
Reaction score
9
Location
Gniezno
My bunny ate a little bit of hiacynth bulb leaves. It's been a week since then but i just learned that hiacynth ate toxic to bunnies do i'm kind of scared.
 

A & B

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2018
Messages
823
Reaction score
484
Location
Iowa
If there have been no changes in behavior, eating habits or poop and pee, I would say your bunny is fine. Since it's been a week, its way out of the rabbit's system by now.
 

Preitler

Loony bunny guy
Joined
Jul 19, 2015
Messages
1,378
Reaction score
957
Location
Austria
AFAIK, the "toxin" are just oxalates, like in rhubarb, and that mostly in the bulbs. Some animals are more sensitive to that (dogs almost 8 times compared to rats), if fed too much they can get kidney problems (humans too). Rabbits are not easily poisoned, they evolved to survive quite a lot of what botany throws at them. If you don't feed it regularily in considerable amounts there shouldn't be a problem.

You'll always find someone writing that somewhat is deadly if you serch for it, combined with"toxic" and "rabbit". If you believe all that you'll get paranoid pretty fast.
 
Joined
May 14, 2019
Messages
5
Reaction score
9
Location
Gniezno
AFAIK, the "toxin" are just oxalates, like in rhubarb, and that mostly in the bulbs. Some animals are more sensitive to that (dogs almost 8 times compared to rats), if fed too much they can get kidney problems (humans too). Rabbits are not easily poisoned, they evolved to survive quite a lot of what botany throws at them. If you don't feed it regularily in considerable amounts there shouldn't be a problem.

You'll always find someone writing that somewhat is deadly if you serch for it, combined with"toxic" and "rabbit". If you believe all that you'll get paranoid pretty fast.
Thanks for the help!
 

Imbrium

Jennifer
Joined
Aug 13, 2012
Messages
6,159
Reaction score
1,118
Location
Houston, Texas
Definitely fine after a week. I wouldn't worry about it, just make sure in the future that he doesn't have access to plants that you're not sure are safe.

If it makes you feel any better, I once had a rabbit knock over a trash can and eat half of an expired (from over a year earlier) chocolate/peanut butter Easter egg candy, foil and all. You'd think there would be numerous red flags telling him not to eat that disgusting piece of foil-wrapped candy... but apparently not! Thankfully, he was just fine.
 

Latest posts

Top