My bunny ate a pary of a hiacynty seed HELP!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My bunny ate a little bit of hiacynth bulb leaves. It's been a week since then but i just learned that hiacynth ate toxic to bunnies do i'm kind of scared.

If there have been no changes in behavior, eating habits or poop and pee, I would say your bunny is fine. Since it's been a week, its way out of the rabbit's system by now.

AFAIK, the "toxin" are just oxalates, like in rhubarb, and that mostly in the bulbs. Some animals are more sensitive to that (dogs almost 8 times compared to rats), if fed too much they can get kidney problems (humans too). Rabbits are not easily poisoned, they evolved to survive quite a lot of what botany throws at them. If you don't feed it regularily in considerable amounts there shouldn't be a problem.

You'll always find someone writing that somewhat is deadly if you serch for it, combined with"toxic" and "rabbit". If you believe all that you'll get paranoid pretty fast.

AFAIK, the "toxin" are just oxalates, like in rhubarb, and that mostly in the bulbs. Some animals are more sensitive to that (dogs almost 8 times compared to rats), if fed too much they can get kidney problems (humans too). Rabbits are not easily poisoned, they evolved to survive quite a lot of what botany throws at them. If you don't feed it regularily in considerable amounts there shouldn't be a problem.

You'll always find someone writing that somewhat is deadly if you serch for it, combined with"toxic" and "rabbit". If you believe all that you'll get paranoid pretty fast.

Thanks for the help!

Definitely fine after a week. I wouldn't worry about it, just make sure in the future that he doesn't have access to plants that you're not sure are safe.

If it makes you feel any better, I once had a rabbit knock over a trash can and eat half of an expired (from over a year earlier) chocolate/peanut butter Easter egg candy, foil and all. You'd think there would be numerous red flags telling him not to eat that disgusting piece of foil-wrapped candy... but apparently not! Thankfully, he was just fine.

Latest posts

Back