Monty, my [big] baby bunny 2012

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is she peeing in the same spots each time?
I know you don't want litter boxes all over your kitchen. Ellie hasn't gotten into the hormonal stages of life yet, so I can't relate on that point. BUT, I've found with Ellie that she will potty in any sort of box. I can put down a shoe box, or any sort of cardboard box and she'll potty in it. I had to take her boxes out of the kitchen because she would potty in there and not in her litter box, thankfully cardboard is free and disposable. I had some small sheets of cardboard that I put down for her to dig and chew on and she pottied on them too, its like her natural instinct to go pee on the cardboard.

Could you try that? Like put a handful of hay or greens in a cardboard box and maybe she'll use it? Or put a few of them down where she likes to pee and try to get her to go in the box? That may be easier said than done, but at least you could just throw the boxes away after a few pees in them. Or you might be able to cut a box apart and use the sides of the boxes as a pee guard for your floor; like put hay/greens on the cardboard sheet and see if she wants to pee there?

I would try it, if I were going through that and if I didn't know that Ellie would always pee on the cardboard. lol

Sounds like a good idea and it certainly isn´t costly but you could have a try. It´s awful when they start peeing everywhere, mine don´t that anymore but I remember before when they used to...I seemed to have the mop in my hand most of the day.

No, she's doing it wherever she's standing. Twice in front of the fridge where her assorted cardboard is that she was in the middle of chewing on. She was standing on the tile, not cardboard, and just suddenly let loose. Then, the rug in front of the sink, which isn't any sort of corner or favorite spot, she just happened to be standing there. The other spot, I'm not sure where it was because my boyfriend reported it last night but just said it wasn't the rug and wasn't in front of the fridge. I can't put boxes everywhere or keep throwing all of this cardboard away. She's just going to be on lockdown unless I can set her in her litter and get a confirmed pee, then I'll let her out for a few minutes. But then there's still frustration because she poops eeeeeeeeeeeverywhere now. Stupid hormones! Yes, the spay will happen as soon as I can nail down a good place and a hopefully good price. I'm worried, but my boyfriend said he'll take care of it. Oh and she's 8 months old as of the 12th, so yeah it's definitely time. The first fridge puddle was about 3 weeks ago and then didn't happen again for a couple weeks, but this past week has been a yellow flood, so I suspect everything is in full effect now. My big baby is a big teenager 0_0

Awww, I'm sorry she's just going everywhere! That has to really suck! I'll be dealing with it with all that soon enough. I'm really not looking forward to it, as I'm sure you weren't.
I hope you find a good vet to spay her soon. I think that will make everything SO much better.

I think that whether it´s a spay or a neuter, it really calms down these habits. I still remember puddles everyone, granted they were small, and poops all over. I seem to spend all my evening sweeping them up. It is amazing the difference it makes. Still some poops as they don´t go into their tray every single time but just a few strays and no puddles at all.

She was in a pen with just bedding all over in the pet store, to a pen with a litter box on a tile floor here at home at 8 weeks of age, and she instantly took to the litter box. Stray poos occasionally when she was wee, but no pee anywhere else. She's been perfect up to about a month ago, and the stray poops outside when she's running around the kitchen has suddenly and exponentially increased, and her poops are as big as cranberries! it's been a very abrupt change, and while I don't expect perfection, she was SO good until now so I can only attribute it to hormones. I look forward to this getting better after her spay. I want my little [big] angel back :p I can stand her being a poo-monster occasionally, but the constant mess out of nowhere is stressing me out.

After my experience, I think they almost tell us when they´re ready for the neuter or spay. Mine also with their bad litter habits and their little spats. I knew then that it had to be done and haven´t look back. I´m sure it´s the same with Monty, she´s telling you now she´s ready for you to get it done for her. I´m sure after things will calm down and get back to normal. I think, up until then, you´ll probably just have to cope as best you can.

Hope that she gets better soon and that you find a good vet at a resonable price really soon. I never noticed anything like this with my girls pre or post spay so can not help you much.

Well, I got to have Monty out for a couple minutes tonight. As I finished up washing her salad greens (red leaf lettuce, cilantro, and some new red kale to try), she hopped into her litter box and took a whiz, so I let her out for the last couple leaves of lettuce and a little hopping before I cautiously cut it short and called her back to "go home". She was a pretty good sport, and I caught a video of some good binkies!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg1nQpYNz-U[/ame]

Gimme a few, I'll get some pics uploaded too :)

Post-nom snuggles
34j3omg.jpg

Nom nom nom...oh, and her getting-more-prominent flufflap
35hmq04.jpg

Attack of the pants licker! aaaaahhhh run!
29gk16u.jpg

Ears for days
v447r9.jpg

I love this little fluff on the back of her neck. It has always stood up a little, and now it stands up even crazier now that it's really dry in here. I think of it as her little baby lion-mane. For some reason, it reminds me of Agnes :)
1252iqt.jpg

Giant bunnies take giant naps. Oh, and flufflap! (pardon the poo mountain, that happens in mere hours)
96fbpg.jpg

Giant face washies while I was on the wrong side of the gate, of course. I stepped out to take a pic of the gate from the living room side, and she started being all sorts of adorable.
xlw1o0.jpg

Last night, I brought some giant TP cores home from work after I refilled all of the bathroom dispensers. These are sturdier than consumer-grade TP rolls, and fit nicely on a giant bunny's head. She is so chill that she didn't even flinch when I slid this onto her face.
dvrq4o.jpg

Another view
1zlq3gm.jpg

Tonight, I gave her red kale for the first time. I was impressed by the size of this leaf, so I gave it to her whole and rested it on her crate door. She promptly destroyed it.
24wzh9f.jpg

Missy those are some great photos, I love here sticking her head in the tube, she seems to like squeezing herself into small place like tubes and soda boxes. Those leaves are big, I must look out for some of that in the supermarket. Well and those ears are just something else, I´ve seen bigger now but hers are just the best.

Yes, it's soooooo soft. Sometimes when she's laying on the floor, I'll stick my nose right there and just breathe in the soft warmth, and she tooth purrs while I do it :)

Oh, forgot I had these:

Sunday morning, I laid down so she could come snuggle with my legs like she often does, but this time she nose-bonked my arm until I lifted it, then laid RIGHT HERE:
b84hzr.jpg

Yeah, against my face. Then I turned the tables and used her as a pillow (not with the full weight of my head, but she let me lay there for a good few minutes):
33w9p3t.jpg

I guess not many of us have buns who can double as comfy pillows ;)

Monty's going on her first trip to the vet today for her pre-spay well-bunny exam. Chicago Exotics is highly recommended by Red Door, so I'm just gonna dive right in and get my sweetie taken care of. I'm so curious how much she weighs!

Edit: (and the spay will probably be next week if they have an appointment available. it includes an overnight stay, which I kinda objected to, but she said they prefer to monitor the rabbits after the procedure to watch fecal output and make sure they are eating. they DO send them home with painkillers)

Another edit: (also, they do NOT fast the rabbits, because they know better! I told the lady I had heard horror stories, so she assured me that they only deal with exotics and told me all the specifics, which made me feel much better. Everything I needed to hear, and didn't want to have to inform a vet of! I feel so good about this!)

Last edited:
Giant binkies. I squeed. I'd been wondering what it looked like for a giant to do a binky. And now I have my answer. And it's cuter than I imagined.

Btw, totally love your monster pants!

I can't wait to find out how much she weighs! I love all the pictures of her, she's just so big and gorgeous! It sounds like you have a good vet!

The picture of you with your head on Monty makes me think of last night and my husband. He was on the couch and he wanted a pillow, he tried a blanket but his head wasn't propped up enough, so he looks around for a pillow and finds my cat on the back of the couch. He took my cat off the back of the couch and used her as a pillow! She allowed that to happen, she just laid there, purred and put herself to sleep with a big man head on her side. It was great.

Giant binkies. I squeed. I'd been wondering what it looked like for a giant to do a binky. And now I have my answer. And it's cuter than I imagined.

Btw, totally love your monster pants!

I've been trying for so long to get a good video with a couple of binkies, but she tends to do them immediately as she leaves her crate, then comes and accosts me for food. And thanks! I sewed them myself :) I have a piece of matching fleece (pants are flannel) and I'm thinking of using part of it for a Monty blanket, because my boyfriend and I refer to her as "the Montster" sometimes :p

Missy those are some great photos, I love here sticking her head in the tube, she seems to like squeezing herself into small place like tubes and soda boxes. Those leaves are big, I must look out for some of that in the supermarket. Well and those ears are just something else, I´ve seen bigger now but hers are just the best.

Yeah, I don't know how she holds them up! Her brother had a slight defect in his ears, and they didn't stand. I really wanted him, even though they said his ears might fix themselves as they grew. I just liked that he was unique, even though I really enjoy the uppy ears now that I have them. I actually don't prefer lops, but Monty's brother's ears were just...different. I think I posted a pic of him on the first page of this thread.

I can't wait to find out how much she weighs! I love all the pictures of her, she's just so big and gorgeous! It sounds like you have a good vet!

The picture of you with your head on Monty makes me think of last night and my husband. He was on the couch and he wanted a pillow, he tried a blanket but his head wasn't propped up enough, so he looks around for a pillow and finds my cat on the back of the couch. He took my cat off the back of the couch and used her as a pillow! She allowed that to happen, she just laid there, purred and put herself to sleep with a big man head on her side. It was great.

Haha, that's hilarious. I used to lay on my kitty sometimes and listen to her tummy gurgle and her loud purr. Monty's guts are always LOUD! I don't feel like that's normal, but she always seems to feel fine and it's like that before and after she eats, so I guess she's okay. Maybe giant bunny parts are just easier to hear.

Good to hear the vet knows what they´re doing, I´m sure you feel good about that although you´ll miss Monty if they keep her in overnight, maybe it´s cos she´s a big girl.

Haha, using the cat as a pillow. I sometimes do that with my friend´s dog when I´m down there as she sits on the back of the sofa and she´s so soft and warm, I lean my head on her if I´m fancy a nap.

Monty´s binkies are just so good, I still can´t get over how big she is, you only really notice when she´s with you, she is some size. She must eat as much as my three together, that´s a lot.

I can´t wait to see how much she weighs as I bet it´s more than my three together as well. Not sure as they weigh just under 8llbs.

I'd be scared if she were only 8 lbs at this point, because she's slated to be at least 15 when fully grown. I can't imagine her getting TWICE the size she is now :p I'm putting my money on 10 lbs. I don't lift her much, but she's a pretty good chunk of bunny.

Phew, that is a big bunny but she´s such a gorgeous girl. I always loved my small boys but I´ve fallen in love with your big lady haha.

Yay! Monty and I are back from the vet, and all is well. Heart and lungs sound good. Ears, nose, and eyes look good. Gut sounds are good. Then they took her to the back to weigh her and probably check her butt temp, poor thing. It took forever for them to bring her back! She said they were admiring her and petting and feeding her Romaine, so I was like okay fine...but no bun-napping my baby! Her spay is set for next Friday, although I forgot to ask what time I bring her in, oops. The owner of the practice will be doing it, and she is the most time-efficient one, so that's good because they charge for the anesthesia by the hour.

I was pretty close to being right on her weight! She's 9.59 lbs!

Oh, and the little booger didn't pee or poop in her carrier, which surprised me because she didn't seem to want to pee when I set her in her litter before I loaded her in the carrier (she had been sleeping for a while so I knew she hadn't gone very recently), and we were gone a full hour. I guess all the excitement stopped her up. She made a mountain of poo and ate the last leaves of lettuce that came home with her, and the rest of the leaf of kale I used to bribe her into her carrier :p

Latest posts

Back