Monty, my [big] baby bunny 2012

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to hear she got a clean bill of health, she certainly looks great.

That is some weight, will she get any bigger or is she now fully grown ?

I bet now you´ll be glad when it´s all over but happier knowing that she´s in the best health for it to be done now.

I've read that Flemish does are typically at least 15 lbs, and she's purebred, so that's what we're looking at :p I think I read that she'll grow for another 6 months or so (til 14-15 mos of age). At almost a pound a month, that seems logical.

OMG, that will be a seriously big bunny. I can´t wait to see how big those fabulous grow. ;)

You can tell it´s getting late....I meant those fabulous ears of hers...:wink

LOVE the pictures and the binkies :) Glad that she is healthy and that you fund a good vet for the spay.

Omg Missy 10lbs! It's hard for me to imagine a bunny that big. I LOVE the pics of you laying with her. I lay just like that with my two but they haven't let me rest on them like that when they are flopped. She must really trust you :)
I hope the spay goes great which I'm sure it will. My vet didn't keep Agnes overnight as he said buns recover better at home where they are comfortable. I dropped her off in the morning and she was home by mid afternoon. Also, see if they can send you home with some pain medication.
Let us know how it goes. We will be thinking of you!

I asked whether I could just pick her up when she's awake and not leave her overnight, but their policy is to keep them for monitoring and it sounds like they really care and know their stuff, so I left it alone. I did ask about the pain medication, and they do send Metacam home, so yay! They wanted to do a fecal lab at today's exam for an additional $30, but I said no thanks because I was only prepared for the $60 for the exam. Her poop looks like poop, she eats like a monster, and shows no outward signs of any parasites. I know I'm not a medical expert, but I'm kinda low on funds. I'll make sure to check that after she has actually been outside on her harness in the grass :p

Don't worry, her spay should take significantly less than an hour. Do they have staff that stay at the hospital overnight? Many hospitals don't and in that case I really do think it's in the animal's best interest to go home sooner. The hospital I worked at had someone who spent the night and would do night time treatments.

Don't worry, her spay should take significantly less than an hour. Do they have staff that stay at the hospital overnight? Many hospitals don't and in that case I really do think it's in the animal's best interest to go home sooner. The hospital I worked at had someone who spent the night and would do night time treatments.

They are in the same practice as a 24-hour emergency vet, so I do believe someone will be there the whole time. They have a very good entry in our Rabbit-Savvy Vet list here, too:

Dr. Susan Horton, DVM (PetBunny)
Chicago Exotics, PC (Also see Animal Emergency 911 above)
3735 W. Dempster
Skokie, IL 60076
(847) 329-8709
Recommended by: Diane Murphy
Recommended by: Bruce Mann
Comments from Diane: Hours: M, Tu, Th, F: 9AM - 6PM; W and Sat: 9AM - Noon. She is a wonderful, personable, rabbit-savvy doctor. Has great people skills too; very good at calming down hysterical bunny moms. The staff is very friendly and all seem to be rabbit-knowledgeable; you feel very confident about having your bun in their care. Also, just as an FYI-they share office space with Animal 911. If you are a patient of Chicago Exotics, and your bun has to be checked in through Animal 911, they can be "transferred" to Chicago Exotics without actually having move anywhere. Most emergency clinics require you to pick up your animal and take them to your "normal" vet when they close for the day/night.
Submitted: 3/03

I didn't meet Dr. Horton yet, but I'll be creating an entry in the IL thread for Dr. Moy at this practice, because she's who Monty had her exam with yesterday.

Good luck. I just neutered mine yesterday and even though its a safer and simpler op I was fretting a bit. The surgery went well and we'll see how the rest goes. Conan the Bunbarian was never difficult but at 9 months I started detected behavior he never exhibited before. I hope it was hormonal and it was taken care of early because if its just behavioral I still got problems. Love my little guy though. Found out he weighs 13lb even. How much does Month weigh?

Woo I can't wait til Friday. Is it right to be this excited about an upcoming spay? Vet says she's in good health and is very knowledgeable (even mentioned a pellet-free diet, surprise surprise), and Monty seems like she could take anything. I called the vet this morning to ask what time to drop her off, and if I should bring any pellets or greens, and she said they buy fresh romaine, cilantro, and veggies twice a week and have pellets and hay in stock at all times. I guess I'll just pack her blankie :)

Good luck with the spay :) I am sure that it will be fine. It sounds like you have a great vet. How far do you have to drive to get there and how much is it costing again? When I got my girls spayed the vet was 1.5hrs away (each direction) and they charged $400 per rabbit + extras (was quoted $200 each all inclusive). I ended up having to go to that vet more than 4 times before they were spayed.

I hope things go good Missy, which I'm sure they will :) you will be glad you got it done. It helps alot with some of those behaviors.

My vet had all the food too but I decided to still bring her own just so a) it was familiar to her in hopes she would eat and b) new food didn't upset her tummy. And of course brought her blankie too.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

Lauren, it's 15 minutes away, and the receptionist said $225 covers most buns' spays, but the actual vet quoted a little higher just in case more anesthetic is needed, and blah blah blah. Then I asked the receptionist why the figures were so different and she said the vets quote high just to cover their butts in case it takes longer and gets more expensive. She also said on the day I'm having Monty's spay done, the owner of the practice who has a specialized method and is a lot quicker will be doing her surgery, so it should definitely be under an hour. So I'll see in the end how much it costs. The cost includes overnight monitored stay plus they send home Metacam.

Thanks Lisa! I'm happy it's soon, and I'm really confident she's going to bounce back and be my awesome little [big] angel again.

Bahaha! Monty still loves her Dew box. I got a little video of her laying down in it and chewing on the end of it, and this pic:

qp2gih.jpg

*kisses nose*

Lauren, it's 15 minutes away, and the receptionist said $225 covers most buns' spays, but the actual vet quoted a little higher just in case more anesthetic is needed, and blah blah blah. Then I asked the receptionist why the figures were so different and she said the vets quote high just to cover their butts in case it takes longer and gets more expensive. She also said on the day I'm having Monty's spay done, the owner of the practice who has a specialized method and is a lot quicker will be doing her surgery, so it should definitely be under an hour. So I'll see in the end how much it costs. The cost includes overnight monitored stay plus they send home Metacam.

Thanks Lisa! I'm happy it's soon, and I'm really confident she's going to bounce back and be my awesome little [big] angel again.

You might want to ask what the specialized method is. There are two different ways spays are done. One is a full hysterectomy where they take out the ovaries and the uterus. The other is where they just take out the ovaries. There are conflicting opinions on which is preferred/better. The house rabbit website insists on the full hysterectomy because leaving in a female organ leaves in a cancer chance. But then there are some vets who believe that taking out the organ that produces eggs (ovaries) takes care of the cancer chances. I am not a vet so I don't know which is better. My rabbit savvy vet does the full hysterectomy so that is what was done on Agnes.

Anyway, just wanted to give you something to think about and research if you want.

Ditto, here Missy, hope it all goes really well and will be watching out for news after she´s had it done. I love the pics of her in that box, she´s such a funny bunny...will we be seeing the video :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back