Minnesota Rabbit Emergency: 70 + rabbits confiscated

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rabbits that are placed at Petco are stillunder the protection and care of the shelter. They are justput at Petco so people can actually see them. It encouragesmore adoptions. The Petsmart here displays sheltercats. It not only gives the shelter more space, but there areso many more adult cats that get adopted now! They only putadults there, not kittens.

Kricket wrote:
GAWD! I wish I was closer to help! :(

I agree with y'all (Gypsy & Dixon) sounds a little harsh to me. Perhaps the officer jumped the gun.

By the way, does PetCo spay & neuter rabbits before they are put up for adoption? Just curious...

Hugs!

Depends on if they are working with a rescue promoting the rabbits through them. If there is no rescue involved, then no.

This one's a bit scary, I must admit. I've seenabuse and this doesn't add up. Also--altering show animals!! If theyare good stock.....seems a shame to miss the potential.....

I've five myself, and they create quite an unavoidablesmell!Hope no one decides I'm neglecting my animals.....that's what worriesme about situations like this.:?

Rose

More then likely its an officer that doesunderstand why you have to have that many to get quantity and quality.And overuses his power. And unfortunately theyll all be spayed.Confinscations like that make good rescues look bad.

I gotta say, an emptyrabbit cagebeside a persons garage does not make them a bad person that wouldrequire law enforcement to snoop around and look through therewindows. BUT I'm glad they did in this case! Partof being a responsible owner is to clean their cages, not just feed andwater. poor buns...they could have gotten diseased orinfected with those conditions! I don't think they should beallowed any more pets til they can take better care of 'em.My opinion.

~Caitlin~

(P.S.--If I lived close enough I would be glad to help out and foster a few bunnies!)

70 rabbits are gonna have an odor no matterwhat. The article never said how the bad the cages were. So Im guessingthey probably werent that bad. Maybe semi amounts of poop. If they werebad, with poop over caking them, then the animals would not be healthy.The guy had no right to do what he did. I hope those smarten up and tryand press charges against him.

I think the problem here is lack ofinformation. We have no idea exactly what it was like, soreally, no sense jumping to conclusions or getting worked up about it.:)

If anyone gets any more info, then we'll know what the dilly-yo was.

Sorry to have stirred up trouble here. Idon't have much more information than you all do, but I will try toclear a few things up. From what I understand there was acomplaint issued by a neighbor who was concerned for the rabbits'welfare predominately because they were being housed in a garage withlittle to no ventilation and we've been having days of recordheat. The neighbor feared the rabbits would die in the heatbecause it seemed as if the owners were not keeping them cool.Keep in mind many of these guys are jersey woolies and we're talking 98degrees with a heat index of 105. The cage conditions were out ofcontrol from what I hear as well. Not just a case of someonehaving many rabbits and not cleaning every single day. I mean,that happens, there's always going to be poop. But witnesses saidthe rabbits fur was urine stained and matted with dried feces and thecages had inches of fecal matter piled up. The official newsarticle also said the amount of fecal matter was out of control.As for the stench, I believe the article stated that the police andhumane society felt that masks and and hazardous material suits werenecessary to protect their health. Sure, bunnies are going tosmell, and 70 bunnies are going to smell more, but not being able tobreath inside without feeling the need for a gas mask is most likelyout of control. I'm sorry I said this was a collector situation,I was wrong and did not have much information at that point. Theprevious confiscation was of a collector with more than 150 rabbits, 75or so of them either recently dead or died soon after. This is amuch different case of a breeder who got a little out of hand.The twin cities do have rules on the number of rabbits that can be keptin a single home without permits. They probabyl didn't have thosepermits, but I don't know for certain.The rabbits are allnow in the care of the MN Companion Rabbit Society. They will beorganizing the spay/neuters, helth checks and eventual adoptions.PetCo works with us to give the rabbits more visibility in theirstorses and facilitate more adoptions. And since these rabbitswill be going to homes as pets, not as breeding stock, which is one ofthe things MN Companiion Rabbit Society does not deal with, they willall be sterilized. I don't know what quliaty of show animalsthese were, but at this point they're going to be family pets and theMCRS doesn't want to risk irresponsible breeding by those who aren'tinformed on how to do it safely. I assume the owners of therabbits chose the 10 best of their stock to keep. Again, Iapologize for not knowing all of the facts and for stirring up a littletrouble here, but I was just trying to get some help for these rabbits.

dixonsrabbitry wrote:
seniorcats wrote:
It's alsopossible they live a city/municipality with a legal limit on the numberof animals permitted in residences.

Most cities only have laws that apply to cats, dogs, and livestock.Rabbits fall in between the livestock and pet catergory. So even ifthere was a livestock law or a pet ordinance they still wouldnt haveany justification do what they did.

Most laws will tell you how many cats and dogs you can keep on your property. But no other small animals are included.
Actually, rabbits fall under the Livestock rules and regulations.

I had to call Animal Control to my house once because aneighbor's dog busted through my fence and was trying to attack myrabbits. At the time I had 18 with 6 of them pregnantdoes. Luckily for me, the officers that came over were welleducated on rabbits and were open and honest with me about thesituation I had.

Where I live, there is a city limit of 6 animals for Livestock(there's also alimit on companion animals - but that does notapply to rabbits). The officers explained that by law, theydo not have the authority to trespass on private property - or lookover fences or in backyards without a written complaint. Theywere nice enough to just inform me, and gave a nice side note to get ingood with my neighbors so I don't get any complaints. Theycommented on how healthy all of the rabbits looked and were even soknowledgeable to notice their prime coats and complimented me on theircondition and care & wished me luck with an upcoming show!:)

There must be just cause (ie: a complaint of violation) and awarrant issued by a judge in order to confiscate ANY animal from theirowner.

Just my opinion and personal experience,
Sunshine

SunnieBunnie Rabbitry wrote:
Actually, rabbits fall under the Livestock rules and regulations.

Michigan law says they are livestock and pets. So they kinda fall inbetween up here. And by those laws each city has todefinewhat is livestock.My city tried to nail me for livestock.They never defined it. So they couldn't nail me. :)

Its good that officer was more helpful with you. Most wont do that.

No need to be sorry for anything. We are just debating is all. No fighting. :)

Im glad you posted to clear it up. Because now it does sound like someone who needed to take better care of them. :)

EEM, thanks for the additional information and clarification. I hope you get a lot of help with the rabbits.

Interesting on the local and state laws regarding animals - most of therecent legislation my office has looked at defines animal (for thepurpose of control laws in cities and suburbs) as 'any vertebrateanimal excluding homosapiens.'That way it's inclusive and the ordinancedoesnothave to enumerate each animal species.

The confiscated rabbits are being moved tofoster homes very rapidly. Many have already been spayed orneutered and moved to their foster home placements to heal and relaxbefore being moved to a Petco location. Sometime this week,perhaps as soon as today or as late as Saturday, a littlejersey wooly will be settling in at my home. Her name is Riverand she was extremely matted when she came into the shelter. Someof her fur was so tightly matted that it had pinched a large portion ofher skin together hindering her movement. A MCRS volunteerbrushed and brushed and clipped and brushed some more and now she'slooking a little frazzled but much more comfortable. She will bespayed today and during that spay surgery one of her toes, which wasbroken and cut by her cage and had been left to get infected, will beamputated. I don't know much about her personality yet, but I'llgive you another update when she arrives. This is her "mugshot"soon after getting her mats brushed out. Photos of all of theconfiscated rabbits and a more thorough update on their condition canbe found athttp://www.mnhouserabbit.org.Clickon Confiscation update.
245332River.jpg

There's been a little change of plans for me regarding my foster so I thought I'd give you an update...

Since i don't have a car I've been having to hold off on picking up myfoster, and sinec the MCRS is so busy these days they haven't foundsomeone who could drop her off. So basically, River, the originalfoster has already been put in a foster home to recover from her spayand amputation surgeries since I was unable to pick her up soon enough.

So instead of River, the jersey woolie, I'll be picking up Mindy, thelionhead, this weekend. I must admit i'm pleased to be experiencinglionhead love for at least a little while after hearing all of you talkabout how great your lionheads are.

Here's her mugshot from the shelter:
Mindy.jpg

Reguardless of the reason for the officer beingon the property in the first place, if he had no search warrant signedby a judge, he had no right to enter the garage or the house.Everyone please remember this - if anyone of authority shows up on yourproperty demanding to see your animals - you do not have to allow theminto your premesis unless they have a warrant. They willbully you and otherwise try to get their own way but they have nobuisness being there unless a judge has given them permission.

This might also be a good time for everyone who lives in town to findout just exactly what the laws in your area say. As quicklyas the animal and pet laws are changing around the country, you may besurprised to find out that something has changed that you are not awareof. Do not be caught by surprise - you need knowledge inorder to stand your ground if you are ever confronted. Youmight also find a lawyer in your area so you have someone to call ifanything does happen on your property. Law enforcementofficals have a way of treating you like you don't know anything andmaking you believe that youhave to do what theysay. You need someone who knows the laws better than thepeople sent out to your place that will come and fight foryou. Expensive - maybe, but that is the direction our countryis taking. Know your rights and be prepared to fight forthem.

The heat and humidity of summer is going to make any animal or animalswho pee and poop smell much worse than the amount of wastes in thatarea would otherwise dictate during other times of the year.These people could have cleaned cages 2 days before but once animals doalittle waste production, it doesn't take long for a stench to build upin the heat and humidity. While I agree that animals shouldnot be forced to live where the ammonia build up becomes hazardous totheir health, in the heat of summer that smell builds up so much morequickly than at any other time. Most breeders havea schedual of clean up and maybe this officer showed up the day beforetheir schedualed cage cleaning day when things would have been at theirworst.

While I applaud anyone who takes on the responsibility of caring forabused or neglected animals, I only applaud those that do it withanimals that are genuinely in trouble. Nothing I have heardabout this case so far would lead me to shed a tear for theserabbits. These animal organizations thrive on the mediaattention and the common everyday person with the bleeding heart whowill step in with money. While there are still some rescueorganizations in this country who have genuine concern for the animal,so many more are there for the attention and the money. Lookat the response they have gotten out ofjust the few of youwhohave stepped up to help out. There are many moreout there who do not have the space or the time to actually adopt oneof these rabbits but they feel bad enough to send acheck. So I look at any of these so called''rescues'' with a skeptical eye. If any of the radicalgroups wanted to raid your rabbitries, they could appeal to the mediawith the truth and still win. "These animals were kept onwire floors", ''These animals had no food in their dishes'' (duh, theseare show animals who are being restrict fed to bemaintainedin show condition), ''These poor does are being forced to breed'',''These rabbits never get out of their little slotted cages and allowedto run and play and bond with others'', ect. Theycan tell the truth to the public and the manner in which they tell itwill turn everyone against you. And the media will be rightin there with them to help them spin their stories. Unless Ican actually see the premises in which the confiscated animals areremoved from, I listen to these confiscation stories withskeptisism. While the actual MN rescue societies may actuallybe put under a financial strain to care for these animals, theorganizations on the national level still win. They get thepublicity and they get the donations.

I live in a farming area of the country - much like MN. Wehave animal auctions every couple of months where all types of animalsand birds are auctioned. These rescue people show up everytime to buy up every rabbit put up for sale. The very nextday, they are in the news begging for volunteers and money to help takecare of all of these ''rescued'' rabbits. These rabbits werenever meant to be pets - they were headed to the dinnertable. While I'm not saying that meat rabbits do not have aright to a good pet home if that is what someone is looking for - whatI am saying is that these rabbits were in good condition with a placein society. They did not need to be rescued. Theseorganizations will do what they have to to vilify the breeder and patthemselves on the back with one hand while collecting the money withthe other. The animals get lost in theshuffle.

Austin,
Though I do understand your concern and believe that there are casesout there of rescues that are not necessarily doing the best for theanimals or have motives outside of the animal's welfare, I can assureyou that MCRS is not one of those orgs. They're constantly in the holefinancially. The only rabbits adopted are rabbits that are firstprocessed by the state humane societies. We don't take any privatesurrenders. Any rabbits "rescued" by members will not be processedthrough MCRS. We work hand in hand with the county animal control andhuman societies to take on rabbits that have behavioral or healthproblems to make them more adoptable. A healthy, well-behaved rabbithas a better chance of adoption through the city shelters and willnever make it to MCRS, except in extreme cases of overcrowding, likewith this confiscation.

And as for this particular confiscation, I do not know the details of awarrant, but from the sound of the case the owners willingly let theofficers in and did not fight the confiscation. And this was not a caseof slightly dirty cages and people worried because the rabbits weren'tpets. MCRS understands that there are many uses for rabbits and acceptand support breeding of show rabbits and meat rabbits if done humanely.But these rabbits were in danger from the heat, from the stagnant air,and their general upkeep was neglected. This is obvious through thecondition of the animals coats, skin, ears, and eyes. Some had openwounds left to get infected, fur so severely matted that the animalshad to be sedated and shaved, some animals had mites and fleas, acouple of brood does were quite anemic. They certainly weren't in theworst condition possible. So far none of the animals have died, they'remedical conditions are treatable, and they weren't being starved, butthat doesn't mean they were being properly maintained.

I'm sure confiscations occur where the authorities just think a personhas too many animals and decide to step in. Or they disagree with thereasons for keeping so many animals. I certainly think things get outof hand. But in this specific case I feel the city, state, and the MCRSdid the best thing for these rabbits.

My foster from the confiscation is now here andsettling in nicely. She's very skittish and I'm giving herlots of time and space to get used to her new home before trying tocuddle and bond with her. She's eating and drinking andlearning the litterbox alright. She enjoys rearranging herpile of hay and poking around in a towel. She hasn't had freerun time yet, I'm letting her settle in more and making sure my bedroomis well bunnyproofed before letting her out. I'm keeping heraway from Harold and Judy, partly because I don't want to disorientHarold in any way, and also because a couple of the other bunnies fromthe confiscation have been showing some signs of sneezing and runnynoses, so I want to keep the completely seperate just in case thislittle doll starts showing symptoms.

I think I'm going to call her Delilah. Here are a couple of photos:

DSCN1197.jpg

DSCN1196.jpg

Latest posts

Back