Minnesota Rabbit Emergency: 70 + rabbits confiscated

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EEEM

Reaction score
I know I haven't been around much lately, but Ithought you all might like to know and some of you in the area may beable to help out.More than 70 rabbits were confiscated from a home inthe Twin Cities area this week. They're mostly jersey woolies,dwarves, and lionheads. They seem to be in fairly good condition,no large health or behavioral issues identified at this time.They all seem to be adoptable, but need a haven before they can beprocessed and put up for adoption. The humane societies and theMN Companion Rabbit Society are doing what they can but there justisn't room for so many rabbits at once. So to give these rabbitsa chance to find homes we need temporary foster homes. I plan ontaking in one or two little ones to lessen the crunch on MCRS. If you live in the Twin Cities area and have alittle extra space for a month, or even a couple of weeks, and couldhouse a bunny please contact the MN Companion Rabbit Society.Financial contributions would also be appreciated. The MCRS isstill recovering financially from a massive confiscation last year...More than 150 rabbits, many with severe health problems. So if you can help in any way, even just withpositive thoughts, it would help. For more news and updates onthe situation keep an eye on the MNCompanion Rabbit Society Website. I'llalso update asI learn more. I would also like to take thisopportunity to offer my condolences to Buck Jones' family and friendsfor their loss.

Wait a minute .

I havequestions , Whywere these rabbits taken fromthe home , where is the link tothe story , If allthe Rabbits have no major health orbehavioral problems then whatwas the problem and why were they removed? was this a breederconfiscation ? was it a private home ?whats the whole story ?

gypsy wrote:
Wait a minute .

I havequestions , Why were theserabbits taken from the home , where isthe link to the story , If all theRabbits have no major health or behavioralproblems then what was the problem and why werethey removed ? was this a breederconfiscation ? was it a private home ? whatsthe whole story ?

I'm w/ gypsy on this one.....why were they confiscated?

Ellie

OK that linktells absolutely nothing , only that theywere removed not whyor any other information.

Aack! I don't suppose there is aversion I can access without filling out all that info, isthere? It requires registration. Maybe you couldcut and paste it for us?

Here is the article cut & paste

60 exotic rabbits rescued
spacer.gif

Sixty exotic rabbits sitting in filthy cages were rescued Thursday from a home-breeding operation in Mahtomedi, officials said.

Animal-control officer Richard Ruzicka was on patrol Wednesday when hespotted empty animal cages by the side of a house on Loretta Lane.

Ruzicka said he knocked on the garage door and through the window couldplainly see rabbits sitting in the sweltering heat. Concerned theymight fry while cooped up in there, he contacted the owners later thatday, and they let him into the house, he said.

Inside, Ruzicka found rabbit cages all over the four-bedroom house — in the basement, living room and bedrooms, he said.

The bunnies were well fed, watered and in good health, he said, but noone had cleaned the cages, which were filled with excrement.

And the stench? Fire department rescuers had to don hazardous-materialssuits when they came to get them out. "I still smell the ammonia,"Ruzicka said later. "It's in my nose."

The rabbits are at the Animal Humane Society in Golden Valley, where they'll be put up for adoption.

Ruzicka said the husband-and-wife owners will be cited with animalneglect, a misdemeanor. If convicted, they might have to undergobehavioral counseling.

The couple was allowed to keep 10 rabbits, which they agreed to take to a farm, Ruzicka said.

Sorry I didn't give all the info and thanks forposting the article, Mambo. At the time I posted no official newshad been released and I was fed a small amount of information from theMCRS regarding their need for foster homes, supplies, and otherdonations. I think the article answered most of your questions.Asfor the no "major behavioral" problems, this doesn't mean the buns areperfect house pets yet. They have not been socialized.According to the foster coordinator most of the rabbits are skittish,some have nipped defensively, but they are calming down mroe and moreas time goes on. They hope that all of the rabbits will beadoptable in the near future, but experienced foster homes are neededto help socialize the rabbits before they go out for adoption.

Here's the latest update from the MCRS about theconfiscated rabbits. The news is good!There are 53adoptable rabbits needing help - all are more or less healthy, smallish(2-5 lbs), several are long haired (Jersey Woolies and Lionheads). Andall are amazinglycute!Wisconsin HRS will betaking 5 rabbits, and transportation plans have already been made toget them part way into Wisconsin, where WI HRS will pick themup.The remainder are at AnimalHumane Society. All have been microchipped already and will bespayed/neutered prior to leaving their facility!Yay!!!The first 5 or so rabbitswill be available for release on Sunday. Then more on Tuesday, and moreevery day after that as they get them throughsurgery.There are 30 singles, 6bonded pairs and 3 bonded trios, so total "spaces" needed is 38. I saidyesterday we'd need a miracle to be able to help this many adoptablerabbits when we were already experiencing a crunch....but people havebee so amazingly generous with their time & energy that rightnow we are very close to being able to helpALL[/b] therabbits!!!One difference fromthis confiscation is that all rabbits that come to MCRS will be"permanent" fosters - not returning to the shelter for adoption. But Ithink that's OK because it gives us more latitude to plan events& promote their adoption. Plus, unlike the last batch ofconfiscation buns, these are small, have good behavior, and are healthy- making them excellent candidates for PETCO. :) Volunteers in storesmay have to spend some time grooming the longer-haired buns, but that'sa small price to pay to save a life and I'll bet they will be OK withit.To promote adoption, we areworking with PETCO to schedule some additional adoption events theweekend of July 2-3, and July 16-17. We will also be partnering withAnimal Ark to utilize Animal Wise Radio and their Adopt A Thon eventscheduled for July 23-24 to promote adoptions.

Sorry my posts are all in big blocks and weirdlyformatted. I can't seem to get the code tags to work and itdoesn't recognize the lines I put between paragraphs. Still, it'sreadable.

I don't really see why they had to seize them ifthey werein good health, and in good condition. Breeding rabbits aregoing to have an odor no matter what. The only reason for seizurewouldve been if they were practically swimming in their own feces.Sounds like another officer that probably didnt understand. I wouldn'tsay that having that many is actually collecting unless they were keptin extremely filthy conditions, and were sick and dying. And really hehad no good reason to go onto the property unless someone called in acomplaint on it. An issued citation to keep the cages clean wouldvebeen the better thing to do. But still why did he stop whenn there wasno officail complaint filed? Doesn't make sense. I know many peoplethat keep their rabbits in their houses, even the shoe rabbits. Andthis does sound like a show breeder he went after. :mad::nonono:

I believe the article said Sheriff's deputieshave charged them with misdemeanor neglect. That would seemto indicate the level of filth was out of the ordinary.

The couplewas permitted to keep 10 rabbits and decided tore-home them to a farm. It's possible they agreed torelinquish the animals. No mention was made of the ownerssuing to get custody which any owner can do with any anumalseizure. Also no mention was made of them being professionalbreeders.

Differences aside I have to agree , 1 emptycage sitting at the side of a house doesnot make a bad owner , hell I haveat least 10 empty cages sitting beside my garage ,One never knows when a sparecageis going to be needed , Ido feel this is a goodcase forharassment tho , First the Officer had noinclination there may have been a problem 2,he entered t heproperty Illegally and with no probablecause , 3,He was basically on a fishingtrip by peeking into a house window. Unless there has beena WrittenComplaint by either a neighboror some OTHER ( testily ) concernedcitizen , he would have needed a Search Warrentto enter the Premis. there foradding Collusion ( threats ) to this mix.

This is Definately a case of Abuse ofPower for one thing ,, And If thecages were not totally clean wellI can vouch for the fact that30 odd rabbits are going tosmell the high heaven IF they all decide to potty, which a rabbit being a rabbit tendsto do .

NOW! here comes the part thathas got me to hte point ofcalling that shelter and policedept , BONDED 3 Pairs of then BONDED 2 pairs ofthen HELLLLOOOOO!!!!! whatis wrong with that statement?? Skittishbut coming around quickly!!!What the HECK! these were NOT abusedAnimals People !!! OMG i am sodarned sick of peopledoing this kind of Crap !!!.
6 bonded pairs and 3 bonded trios, so total "spaces" needed is 38.

oopppsss I stand corrected !!!!!!!!!!

I agree. He probably abused his power andbullied the owners into getting rid of them, or relocating them. Wehave an offer in my town that Ive had the unfortunate incident ofdealing with that is that way. He will make up laws that don't exhistto bully you. Or even try to use laws against you that don't even applyto animals. Like with me he told me I was running an illegal businessin town just by having show rabbits!

So yeah, those people were probably tricked an bullied by the law. thatmany rabbits are going to have a small odor no matter how clean thecages are. And the article never said exactly how bad things were forthem.

But it did say that they are purebred rabbits in healthy condition. Sothat makes me suspect a show breeder that was unfairly legislated.

seniorcats wrote:
It's also possible they live a city/municipality with alegal limit on the number of animals permitted in residences.

Most cities only have laws that apply to cats, dogs, and livestock.Rabbits fall in between the livestock and pet catergory. So even ifthere was a livestock law or a pet ordinance they still wouldnt haveany justification do what they did.

Most laws will tell you how many cats and dogs you can keep on your property. But no other small animals are included.

GAWD! I wish I was closer to help! :(

I agree with y'all (Gypsy & Dixon) sounds a little harsh to me. Perhaps the officer jumped the gun.

By the way, does PetCo spay & neuter rabbits before they are put up for adoption? Just curious...

Hugs!

Latest posts

Back