Millie has an ABSCESS on her foot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for asking after her Katie.:hug:She's alright, but to be honest I'm finding it very hard to tell whether or not her abscess is improving.PersonallyI think it is a little smaller, but I'm not sure if that is just wishful thinking.:?Her abscess changes from day to day, and sometimes it is very hard to get anything out of it. I think poor Millie is very sick of us messing with her foot (and she definitely showed it yesterday when after a foot bath she chewed a hole in my new jacket.:shock::pAh well - at least she still has her attitude!;)).

Aren't holes in clothing required of bunny owners? I just got a new christmas shirt last night and said "well, I wonder how long it will take before it has tiny holes in it!" lol.

I'm glad Millie's foot is at least not worse! They really have a time with those abcesses don't they? I would think it would be healed by now with the medicine and cleanings! I was wondering tho since we hadn't seen you much.

Keep us posted! How are you handling the whole thing?

Hi, thanks for update. Have you tried using bedadine or something to flush it out with after bath? That stuff cleans the abscess out and can help combat the puss along with the antibiotics.

I hope she gets better.

Michelle

BBB - I know:? - still I can understand why it is taking so long. I'd heard about rabbit pus being thick before but I never truly understood just how thick it is.:shock: It's so hard trying to get it out.:?

I'm ok - just very busy and tired!:sleep:I have my mock exams starting Monday in preparation for my AS January Modules, soafter school revising takesup most of my days - and the rest is spent on Millie. I feel as though I never get to stop -I seriously need a break!:pullhair:

Thanks Michelle:) - I will try and get some Betadine, I've been meaning to get it but things have been so crazy I haven't had a chance to pick any up yet.:?Thanks for the reminder.:)

Millie and I just got back from Judith's surgery, but it's not good news.:(

Judith said we don't have many options - but we can either amputate the toe and abscess (which comes with a whole host of risks:shock:) or try her on some other antibiotics. She wanted to try Millie on Penicillin injections, however that would mean bringing Millie up to that surgery several times a week which we physically can't do as it is an hour each way.
icon_sad.gif
Judith said she would investigate some creams we could use but until we decided what to do has given us another antibiotic which can be given orally - septrin. I'm thinking maybe I can ask my local vets about the penicillin and hopefully they could do it (as they are only a 10 minute drive away) as that is the option I'm most keen on (as I really don't want to risk Millie under GA):?

Argh - I don't know what to do!!:bangheadI just want my girl better! Is that too much to ask?! After I only lost Ruby2 and a half months ago.:cry4:

I just wish I knew what was best, but each option comes with it's risks to Millie's life....and I can't loose Millie too...I just can't.:tears2:

Oh Jess..i'm sosorry..i know things must seem so frustrating for you at the moment,i'm right there with you :hug:

Poor Millie..and poor you Jess :(

Cheryl

Jess, I don't know what to say, I think if it were me I'd try the meds again first, and if that doesn't work then maybe go for the amputation?:? I know it has it's risks, but would a toe removal be a major thing other than the anesthetic risk? I know she's an older bun..oh it must be so hard. :( With Berri surgery wasn't even an option, half her face and jaw would have had to be removed. :(

I'll support you no matter what. :hug::big kiss:(Sorry I couldn't text back btw, I need a topup, should be getting one this evening.)

Healing (((vibes))) to Millie. :pray:

Can you ge the vet to show you how to do injections? So you can do them at home?

I know lots of members on the forum have done injections and sub-q fluids on their own after their vet gave them a lesson.

--Dawn

My first thought was that you'd be able to give her the shot yourself, but if there's a vet close by, even better!

Often these things just take a lot of experimenting with antibiotics. (I assume it's not in a good spot for antibiotic beads?)

Wishing you and MIllie the best...

sas :pray:

Thank you guys.:hug:

Michaela - I know I'm thinking that as well. It may be cowardly of me but the idea of her going under GA so soon (and therefore risking losing her) is just way to scary for me to contemplate.:(I know if she has to have the op. doing it sooner rather than later is best (while she is still in good general health and the abscess hasn't spread) but my gut instinct is telling me to try other meds first.:?

Sas and Dawn - I never thought of that actually. It definitely would be the best option if I could give her the meds myself.:ponder:Judith is doing some research on the matter and getting back to me so I'll talk with her again soon and see what she thinks. Hopefully she will talk to my vets for me and give the penicillin a go ahead as thats the route I really want to go for (as Judith has had the most luck with penicillin).

Also Sas - the abscess is quite small and right on her joint so I think putting beads in would be very hard.:? The real risk with it is that although the abscess may be small it goes down quite deep which really concerns Judith in case it reaches the joint.
:nerves1

Thinking of you and your Millie. She is such a gorgeous bun! Try not to worry. She looks like she has quite a strong spirit. I have a good feeling that she will pull through all of this with flying colors. ;)

Oh no, I've just read this and I am so worried for you and Millie.

I wonder if you couldn't pack the spot and put vetwrap on it to try to keep her from chewing it or something - then give her the shots.

Poor baby...... I am keeping you guys in my thoughts and prayers and hoping for something really positive to happen here.

:hug:

BBB - wrapping it was something we discussed with Judith - but only a measure to stop her chewing/licking it if we put cream on. However, from the sounds of it bandages can cause a lot of trouble asthey can easily be pulled off and in fact make the area underneathdamp and smelly.:?

Here is a pic of my poorly girlie:inlove:

Just after a DBF (this is where she lies under the computer chair when I'm working:D)

Millieunderchair.jpg

Bunnys_rule63 wrote:

BBB - wrapping it was something we discussed with Judith - but only a measure to stop her chewing/licking it if we put cream on. However, from the sounds of it bandages can cause a lot of trouble asthey can easily be pulled off and in fact make the area underneathdamp and smelly.:?

Vet wrap works very well.

Pam

I love vet wrap, but it can cause dampness. I wonder tho, if putting some sort of ointment and then vetwrap for even a few hours a day would help somehow?

Look at her soft white tummy!

Bo won't let me touch his tummy - will she?

Yeah, that's how we did Prissy's feet last spring. After 2 days (they recommend every other day changes for some reason) it was NASTY.

I was hoping that by the time I got back from Canada, Millie would be all better :(.

Jess, if there is anything I can do, you only have to ask. I love Millie, and I am so hoping that it doesn't come to amputation, but if that is the last option, then so be it. I am praying that these new meds and/or penicillin will work.

Hugs to you both.

Jan

Latest posts

Back