Millie has an ABSCESS on her foot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow Sas - that is great information. Thank you!:hug2:

Jan - Millie is ok thanks for asking.:hug: Her abscess is still slowly oozing, but she is coping well.:) I'm going to try and book Millie in to the vets for Monday just so the vet can check up on it. I also may ask him about other ways to treat it (eg drain it, put cream on it etc :ponder:)

Maybe the vet will drain it for you! :DI'm the type that would be FINE with that!

I am thinking You could take a cotton ball and sort of gently push in a downward motion towards her toes to drain more - that might help.

Hi, I am new to this forum. At the present time, I have 3 Rabbits. 2 are rescued from a so called"rabit rescue".

I just wanted to tell you about my experiences with rabbit abscess'. Pinski, (from rescue), was not using his front left paw. I took him to my rabbit experienced Vet., and discovered he had a abcess in his joint. Dr. J did a culture on it. Then treated him with the correct antibiotic and drained the abcess and kept it open for about a week. He flushed it 3 times a day with a betadine and distilled water solution. He was on Baytril for 3 weeks. It healed well.

My other recued rabbit, Cocoa, was attacked by a dog at the rescue, most of her toes were bitten off. She is a strong rabbit, but her abcess is not healing. It continues to have the thick white puss. Thursday she just had "medicated beads" inserted in the abscess. They will supply a constant antibiotic for a few months.

I bought "Textbook of Rabbit Medicine" byFrances Harcourt-Brown. It says that rabbit abcsess'are very hard to cure 100%. Recommends flushing with a medicated solution and give oral antibiotic. The book said that when flushing it, all of the pus must be removed and that it can be painful. It also said some rabbits may never get rid of abscess, but can live a normal life and some rabbits can die from it. A rabbit abscess walls itself off like a little capsule.

I am not trying to be Miss know it all, or tell you what to do. I just wanted to share my experience with you. I have had house rabbits for 12 yrs. I am still learning so much about them.

I hope Millie recovers 100%. I am glad you are taking her to vet Monday.

Michelle

Yeah BBB - I would much rather the vet did it than me! I'm terrified of doing something to make it worse!:shock:

Wow Michelle - that is brilliant. Thanks for sharing your experiences, they really help! And welcome to the forum!:wave:

I did that with my cat - I would take her in for her checkup on the days she needed her wounds flushed and redressed and they would do it for me. It helped just getting that one day a week not having to do it.

WELCOME Michelle, be sure and post an intro thread of yourself! Your avatar bunny is adorable :)

Yes, Rex developed an abscess on his toe right around the time that Peanut was recovering from her illness. I lifted these quotes straight from the pets' blog:

September 8, 2006: Rex has an abscess on his left foot, front left toe, a raised area a little smaller than a pencil eraser. The skin is red, but I can see white stuff underneath. We have an appointment at 3:10 this afternoon.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The vet said Rex’s abscess looked ready to burst, so he opened, drained, and washed it out. He also gave Rex a PennG injection. I need to wash it twice a day for the next week, and he’ll get another shot next Thursday morning.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

September 12, 2006: Rex’s toe is healing very nicely, the abscess doesn’t show any signs of filling up again, and the wound is looking good. Of course, he doesn’t appreciate the twice-a-day cleanings, but I have a feeling he’d appreciate toe surgery even less, so I’ll do whatever I can to keep him healthy.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

September 14, 2006: Rex got his second PennG shot today, and the vet agrees that his toe looks great. Both bunnies will be going back next week: Peanut for a weight check, and Rex for one final look at his toe. We’re blessed to have completely avoided surgery with this abscess, though Rex won’t be happy until we stop messing with his feet.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

September 21, 2006: Rexneeds to go in for his last PennG injection.Abscesses are notoriously difficult to cure, so I am very thankful that this one does not appear to be growing back. This last shot should discourage any bacteria that have been hanging around.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Keep your fingers crossed for us this week: the vet noticed some granulated tissue around Rex’s toe. It may not mean anything, but it may mean that the abscess will come back. Dr. G gave Rex the PennG shot and said that if the abscess returns within a week or so, Rex will need to go in for surgery to havethe abscessand the surrounding tissue completely removed. It’s not as though Rex has a lot of tissue on his toes to begin with, so that could affect wound healing. Ifthe abscess comes back, pre-surgery X-rays will tell us whether or not it’s invaded the bone. If it has, the whole toe will be removed.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

After three weeks of daily cleanings with Nolvasan, and three PennG shots, the abscess never did return :)

She is ok thank you.:)Her abscess is looking better - it looks smaller and is slowly draining, although I'm having to bathe it several timesa day to keep it clean.:? I'm going to ring up the vets tomorrow and try and get an appointment for the evening to get Millie checked and to discuss different treatments, especially how Rex was treated as it worked so well. Hopefully we will be able to sort something out for my girl.:)

My parents are getting a bit sick of her always being in the house asno matter how clean I try to be bits of hay and rabbitpoop turnup in strange places:shock: (although I am using the 'I need to keep her abscess clean excuse' which luckily they can't really say no to!;)) so I'm hoping this abscess heals up soon and then she can start looking for a new friend so she doesn't have to be alone outside!:D

It sounds as though it is beginning to heal :). It would be great if the vet could do something like Rex had done.

I bet Millie is making the most of being inside. But yes, hay and stray poops do turn up in the most weird places - I keep finding them in my shoes :?:D

Jan

Bunnys_rule63 wrote:
She is ok thank you.:)Her abscess is looking better - it looks smaller and is slowly draining, although I'm having to bathe it several timesa day to keep it clean.:? I'm going to ring up the vets tomorrow and try and get an appointment for the evening to get Millie checked and to discuss different treatments, especially how Rex was treated as it worked so well. Hopefully we will be able to sort something out for my girl.:)

My parents are getting a bit sick of her always being in the house asno matter how clean I try to be bits of hay and rabbitpoop turnup in strange places:shock: (although I am using the 'I need to keep her abscess clean excuse' which luckily they can't really say no to!;)) so I'm hoping this abscess heals up soon and then she can start looking for a new friend so she doesn't have to be alone outside!:D

LOL I agree! I've found poos where they don't even go in the house!

Nothing like waking up in the morning to a bunny poo sticking to your leg or something either LOL!

Glad Millie is doing well. I think she'll enjoy a friend! :biggrin2:

I just got back from the vets, we got the mean one who I'm not really keen on.:?Heseems toknow his stuff, but is very pessimistic which annoys me (he was the same with Ruby).:(

Anyway, he drained her abscess for me and told me to do that every time I bathe her foot. I asked about washes and creams but he said they will make little if no difference because of the thickness of rabbit pus, as they just wont penetrate deep enough. I asked about different antibiotics but he said marbocyl is the only one he feels is safe enough to use (not that I agree, but I wont start that as I nearly got into an argument with him in the consultation room!:embarrassed:)

He has given us another 2 weeks supply of the marbocyl and said that if that doesn't work we will have to consider amputating the toe (or long term management). Personally I couldn't see why wecan't try some stronger antibiotics before jumping to that drastic measure but there you go.:rollseyes

Anyway - I'll try doing it his way and hope and pray that is works and her abscess heals up, however if worst comes to worst and we have to consider amputation I'm taking Millie to Judith for a second opinion. No way am I risking her life under GA without another say in it.:?

Anyway, sorry guys for my slightly irritated tone, but I am a bit annoyed. I'm just so sick of this, I really really can't handle Millie being ill. I want her to get better, I need her to get better! She was the only thing that kept me together when Ruby died....if anything ever happened to her, if I had to lose both of my beautiful girls....it doesn't even bear thinking about.:tears2:

Oh Jess, I am so sorry. I know how it is to have a vet that doesn't seem to listen - that's why I went to Judith. I guess you have to give him the benefit of the doubt and give it a chance to work. Poor Millie - it must be painful to keep having the abcess drained. Is she still doing OK in herself?

Just know that we are all with you on this - Millie has a great attitude that will help her through this, and she knows you love and need her. She won't let you down :hug:

Jan

It will be ok. Now, personally, I might drain the abcess and then put some neosporin on it ..... that's just me.......

Bo B Bunny wrote:
It will be ok. Now, personally, I might drain the abcess and then put some neosporin on it ..... that's just me.......

I agree, I mean even if he says it wont make a difference what's the harm in trying?

:hug:for Jess and :pray:for Millie

Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry about you're dealings with the vet:?.

I would love to hear Randy's opinion on this.

For now, just keep washing/draining it as you are.;)

I wish I had more to add, but, as you know, I haven't dealt with these:(;).

Hi, I agree about draining it instead of neosporin, you get a little sringe and flush it with betadine. You can get this at drugstore. Eventhough your vet said it does not help, I have found that it does help grt all the puss out along with putting her foot in warm water. That is what my vet said. Betadine is what is used in hospitals to clean the area where the person is having surgery.

That is just an idea for you.

I understand everything seems overwhelming, but it will get easier. Millie knows you love her...that helps.

Michelle

That's a great idea to flush with the betadine. I just think that once the pus is out of it, there should be something done to the inside to try to help heal it. Maybe that's overkill I don't know.

Thanks guys.:hug:Millie is ok in herself - she has been jumping up on the bottom 'spiny';)bit of the computer chair because I've been doing work and she wanted attention. Silly girl!:p

And also, what kinds of drugs are neosporin and betadine? Never heard of them so I'm not sure if they are available over here.:ponder:

Thanks again guys.:)

Latest posts

Back