Millie has an ABSCESS on her foot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnys_rule63

Reaction score
Ok, so trust Millie to get me stumped!:huh

Just this evening Millie has started limping on her left front leg; she was fine this morning, and I can't see how she could have injured it in her hutch, however I suspect she may have done something while out in her run this afternoon:?. She was only in her run for about1 hour (now the days are so short:() so it was only after that when she was indoors running about that i realised she wasn't putting weight on it.:?She was hopping about, trashing her basket like normal, wasn't showing any outward signs of pain - just wasn't putting weight on her foot.

I had a look and there isn't anything lodged in it, although it does look a little swollen, but I did manage to get her to lie up against her 'ice pod' to hopefully help the swelling a bit.

Then I brought her downstairs to have another look and she stopped limping, hopped about absolutely fine and was even digging up her vet bed with both front feet without showing signs of pain.:dunno

The I put her back in her hutch and she isn't putting weight on the foot again!:headsmackSo asyou might imagine I am totally confused!:?

I have made her hutch all nice and soft for her, and hopefully she willjust lie down and rest it tonight. I have some metacam left over from Ruby, but I am reluctant to use it without vets permission (I would never forgive myself if anything happened to Millie!) If sheis still limping tomorrow I will pop her to the vets to be checked over, however for now Iam very confused with what is going on!:ponder:

Any advice much appreciated!:)

Poor Millie:(. Sorry, but I just giggled to some of your post, quite humourous:p.

Maybe she injured it as it is a bit swollen, then maybe it quit hurting so she wasn't favoring it, then it started to bother her again?:? Not real sure. I just wanted to post since you hadn't gotten a response yet. Hopefully someone will be along with some more possible ideas soon.

Here are my ideas of what is going on:

1. She's laid on it funny and it's sore - is it colder there? she's outside at night vs. inside at her vacation home (lol)

2. She was really excited to get home and injured it while playing.

3. She's broken a toenail off and it's tender (bo did that!)

4. She's trying to get sympathy so she can get a sandbox or various other toys!

yeah, I didn't mean to make light of her limping. I just wonder about them sometimes.... and I end up watching those things to see what happens.

I think that comes from being the parent who took the kids to the doc so many times and they were fine by the time we got there....

Sorry guys - I just got in from school!:D

Well, Millie is still limping today so she's booked in to the vets for 5.30 so hopefully they will be able to sort her out.:?My poor girlie - I feel so bad for her!:(

BBB - don't worry, I know you love Millie too!:pI'm thinking about maybe no.2 out of your choices, as she had just come in from her run when i noticed her limping so she may have landed on it a bit funny if she was jumping off her carrier or something.:? (And also just to clarify - Millie lived outside at Jan's too;))

Silvie - I did think of arthritis, although it did come on very suddenly.:ponder:I suppose it may be an age related injury though, after all she isn't a young bun anymore (at 6) and her joints wont be what they used to be. She probably is a bit more susceptible to injury.:?

Thanks for your help and good wishes guys, I'll update you with what the vet says later!:)

OH NO!!! I've just seen this, Jess. My poor Millie :(. I'm sure she was fine when she was here - she was running all over the place.

It's strange how it seems to come and go. If it had been summer and warm, I might have thought about a sting! I hope the vet can come up with something - let us know.

Give Millie a cuddle from us here.

Jan

ps - had to smile at BBB's comments though - bunnies are very much like spoiled kids, trying to get their own way!

Oh, I thought she slept inside at Jan's.

You know 6 is getting older so she might injur herself a bit easier now. Most likely she'll be fine on her own but I would have it checked myself.

Yes, I do love that girl.

Well, unfortunately its not good news (doesn't that sound familiar?:() It turns out Millie has a small abscess in her foot. The vet has given her a shot of antibiotics and metacam for pain relief. He also suggested bathing the foot in luke warm water to encourage it to burst, and if it does burst to clean it up with salty water. She has been prescribed marbocyl antibiotic for 5 days to see if it clears it up.

My poor Millie - I feel so bad for her!:(Although she is exploring about my feet right now and has just tipped a big bowl of water over me when I was bathing her foot so at leastshe must feel ok!:)

I haven't had any experiences with abscesses, so any advice would be much appreciated. I was really hoping I'd had my fair share of sick bunnies after what I went through with Ruby,:tears2: I'm just hoping and praying this stays a minor thing and heals up quickly - I really can't handle Millie being really sick right now.:sigh:

Oh dear:(, poor Millie. Poor you. I'm sorry Jess. I'm with you, I hope it's a simple abcess and it heals nicely and stays gone;). I don't have any experience with abcesses either. There might be some info in bunny 101 about it.:)

Thank you Crystal and Silvie.:hug:I've justhad a good read of the 101 section on it - and that link Silvie posted.:)

I've just bathed Millie's foot for a second time tonight, and I've found out that I can get her to stay still by hand feeding her, which should hopefully make this whole thing easier.:) (I just wish I had figured that out before Millie soaked me!:p)

Millie is now chilling happily at my feet, so at least for now she is ok. I'm just praying with all my heart that this abscess will just burst and heal up quickly, as the vet said we don't really want it just to retreat from the antibiotics or this could go on for a long time...:(

Prayers for my girlie please:pray:

Poor Millie!

Make sure you don't miss her medicines! That's a huge importance for the healing.

good deal with the hand feeding will also make her more social probably - she'll be looking to eat with you all the time LOL!

How long do you soak her foot?

Bo B Bunny wrote:
How long do you soak her foot?
The vet said for about 2 mins each session, a few times a day. He said it should help it burst - then to clean it out with salty water and see how it goes. Fingers crossed it works! Hesaid it looks like it will burst soon.:shock::?

Well, that's probably good so you can monitor it better. I know sometimes abcesses can be inside.

I wonder what she did to get it?

Latest posts

Back