Millie has an ABSCESS on her foot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no, my poor girl :(.

I feel so awful, Jess. I never saw anything different with Millie - she was hopping around just fine. Could she have stepped on anything here? Did I miss anything?? Oh God, I feel so bad :(.

I really hope the the abcess clears up soon. At least she doesn't seem to be letting it bother her too much. If I can do anything, let me know :hug:

Jan

LuvaBun wrote:
I feel so awful, Jess. I never saw anything different with Millie - she was hopping around just fine. Could she have stepped on anything here? Did I miss anything?? Oh God, I feel so bad :(.

Jan - don't be silly, you and I know Millie was just fine when she came home from yours.;)You took fab care of her, whatever she got stuck in her foot she could have done it anywhere (the vet said it could even be a bit of hay). Don't blame yourself, ok? You know Millie loves you!:hug:

Silvie - I was trying to get a picture before but its very hard to get a pic of.:ponder:I'll try again tomorrow.;)

Ack!! How did I miss this whole thread?!! Jess, I have tons of fingers crossed and I am rubbing all 12 of my rabbits feet (I think they are luckier when they are still attached to the rabbits). I just can't imagine anything happening to Millie too. I'm sending tons of virtual hugs your way!!And tons of nose rubs for Millie that silly girl. I hope it bursts soon (yuck...) and we can be on our way to healing up!

Nad

Oh no Jess,poor Millie..i hope everything will be ok

She has a super fantastic mum to take such good care of her though :hug:

Keeping you and Millie deep in my thoughts

Cheryl

I didn't see this thread! :( (Or get your message til now Jess sorry! And I've just realised you're at school and I've just text you :?).

:pray: It's on her foot - that's a good thing methinks - easier to treat and monitor. And you've got it quick, which is good. :)

Warning - when it does burst it will be so horrible, rabbit pus is really thick. And when you drain it out make sure to do it often enough that the wound doesn't heal over - they have to heal from the inside out. Though medication can be successful - I think Randy has had a lot of success with treating abscesses with that.

You two are in my thoughts. :hug:

Poor Millie! She's lucky she has such a conscientious bunny mom to nurse her back to health. Lots of nose rubs being sent across the pond for that beautiful girl.

Thank you guys.:hug:

Poor Millie - her foot looks very sore this afternoon. The abscess is bigger and (although I know nothing about abscesses!) it does look like it is ready toburst soon.:?Also her foot is still swollen and hot to the touch. Poor Millie, it must be so sore for her!:(I've bathed it for a few minutes this afternoon, and I will do a few more times tonight in the hope that it will burst soon and I can clean it up. I'm sure it will be a lot more comfortable for her then!:?

It will probably look bigger and seem a bit worse at first when it's actually just getting ready to burst and start clearing up. When it's open, that's when you need to really keep it clean! You don't want something else getting into the wound and making matters worse.

Good luck with this. Kisses to Millie.

Thanks, Jess :hug:

I have been thinking of Millie and you all day. It does sound as though the abcess is on it's way to bursting. Although I imagine it will be gross :yuck, at least it will give Millie some relief. Keeping her foot clean is going to be hard - it's not like you can bandage it very well (and knowing Millie, she'd probably rip it off anyway :p)

Poor Millie :(. Shadow and I send lots of love your way

Jan

Awww poor thing

I hope it bursts soon, although yeah... it is gross for sure. Been there done that, like to avoid those for sure! It will feel much better for her after it's burst though. You'll feel worse however, especially once you get a whiff. Lol. :p

:hug:

Get better soon Millie :hugsquish:

Thanks guys.:hug:I know - I'm a bit nervous about when it actually bursts,although the vet did say that rabbit wounds usually heal very quickly (which can be a bad thing)butat least that should help with the keeping it clean issue.:?She wasn't very happy to have her first lot of syringed marbocyl this evening though - tried to nudge the syringe away and took a few goes to get it down!:shock:I think I may have to start mixing it with a little apple juice like I used to do with Ruby.:ponder:

I was also wondering if a kind mod :)D) would mind changing the title of this thread. Just add an "edit- abscess" or something onto it, just so that people with abscess experience may spot it and be able to offer some help. Thank you!:)

I switched it temporarily until a mod can fix it better if you want something different. In the meantime, maybe someone with experience will pop in. :)

Poor Millie. When her abscess does burst, try to squeeze out all the pus you can while you're cleaning it. She probably won't like that, but it needs to come out. And it's thick and gross like toothpaste, not like thin human pus.

I would think that maybe if you just flush it with warm water (not even soaking it just pour some water over it since it's on the top) several times a day it should stay fairly clean with the additional medicine and whatnot.

I mean after it bursts - and then soaking if that is what the vet said..... I'm rambling. Sorry LOL!

I changed the title a bit. I hope it's ok - if you want it different let me know :)

Hi,

Just reading thru this thread. I have dealt with a foot abscess on Mo (and other abscessesin various parts of the body)....he is a Florida White that was evacuated from the Gulf Coast after the hurricanes. His femurs are curved which has an effect on his mobility. He broke a toe and it abscessed. Not nice.

A few things I do and don't do with abscesses. I do not open them. I have found, nothing scientific just my experience, that by opening an abscess youcould beallowing an expansion of the infection. I prefer to keep it contained. Have done so with all our abscess concerns. If it does open on it's own, I would never use salty water. I think that might be a tad uncomfortable...maybe a lot uncomfortable. We generally use saline or something comparable to it. If it's open, I will flush it to keep it clean.

I am interested in how marbocyl works with an abscess. I did some research and it does appear to be available as an injectable....and it is sometimes much easier to inject a medication than giving it orally if you are comfortable in doing so. The drug I do use with abscesses like this...is chloramphenicol. I have had great success with it. That drug does carry some baggage...not so much for the rabbit as for the person giving it to the rabbit. It has been implicated in some bone marrow suppressions in some humans. Protective clothing should be used when administering this drug. Just a thought on a treatment in case the marbocyl doesn't work. Feel free to PM me if you would like more detailed info on dealing with abscesses.

Randy

Latest posts

Back